Knowledge Base
Community

The 1p Bug???

Started by: studio_muppet
On: 27/06/2018 | 22:53
Replies: 27

by: ashleybristoluk
on: 28/06/2018 | 17:11

something gg need to looking into this to fix it everytime i top up it added 1p everytime i top it up. i know it is only 1p but don't want gg loss money 

Message 11 of 28
by: jeremylalou
on: 28/06/2018 | 22:29
it happened to me a while back
Message 12 of 28
by: persco
on: 29/06/2018 | 07:24

But the 1p/2p isn’t a bug or ‘glitch’ though. It is still a tiny amount of the data charged. 

Data usage isn’t ‘finite’. Until networks design a system to live record/track data usage and charges which is almost impossible as smartphones continue sniffing or use data, this is always bound to happen. 

As has been mentioned, only way to not fall victim to this is queueing or recurring a goodybag or turning mobile data off in phone settings probably some megabytes before a goodybag is about to expire even though this isn’t practical really. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 28
by: jsmith2009
on: 29/06/2018 | 09:18

My friends activation actually had 2x 1p added to there account was quite confused by it but fortunately did not cause them any issues like some who have lost 1p so can't by a goodybag.

Message 14 of 28
by: giffgaff20147
on: 29/06/2018 | 09:43

@studio_muppet

Is it a bug though in most cases when you get to root of problem members have let there goodybag expire and not used WiFi to buy another they use the web, 

important bit is it uses data to get to free giffgaff page and that is where the odd 1p or more disappears to . 

Since you can buy goodybag by dialing 43430 the 1p problem has declined ,

i no longer just tell them to contact agent  first I explain it to them and that is last time they get the problem 

I think members have created the 1p so called glitch and by letting a goodybag expire and topping up first then by buying goodybag on web low and behold I lost 2p ,

Message 15 of 28
by: kate1028
on: 29/06/2018 | 09:47

I had it happen to me twice, not long after I joined BUT the other way around.   I had 1p and then 2p added on to my account.   I don't know how common it is this way round, but perhaps those of us who gain are doing so at the expense of the losers !  Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 28
by: muddycalhoun
on: 29/06/2018 | 09:48
It's an itch that needs scratching, it has messed with my top up to goody bag plans half a dozen times or so until devolved to the 43430 for topping up & goody bag purchase which sorted it for me, however I have been told by a friend who was clipped 1p after trying to use the same method on my recommendation ( typical sods law)
Leave our hopes with the voters and it won't be too soon. Someone must have done a bit of Friday afternoon coding when that section was written.
Message 17 of 28
by: muddycalhoun
on: 29/06/2018 | 10:27
I believe that your idea is correct and there is a data charge despite giffgaff protestations that their website is free. It invariably has caught me with the 'some penny' glitch when I either have totally used up every bit of data or goody bag has expired. The data charged os probably not so tiny as it clocks up some pence in the short time between applying a top up and conversion to a goody bag. It was my very first labs idea quite a time back but it must have been badly worded by me or just misunderstood because it was marked already suggested and at the time I was not aware of it being mentioned. The current labs idea (which I have voted for) I think was added quite recently.
Message 18 of 28
by: studio_muppet
on: 29/06/2018 | 10:57

@giffgaff20147

I rejoined giffgaff in November 2017.

I activated my SIM without inserting SIM into a phone.

Topped up £10, instantly dropped to £9.99.

So there is no way data could be used.

If it's the case that a user had been careless allowing a goody bag to expire then surely giffgaff can tell the difference between that case and this clear glitch as I proved above.

When it dropped to £9.99 I contacted an agent and they recredited me the next day. I quote the agent: "I apologise for any confusion over this, sometimes when topping up the 1p deduction can happen as a system glitch"

They know. It needs sorting.

Message 19 of 28
by: sloz
on: 29/06/2018 | 11:18
@studio_muppet
Hi, it's odd that your balance dropped to £9.99 without the sim being in the phone,

There should now be no possibility of credit being reduced when using a voucher

When activating a sim, there's now an option to choose a goodybag and pay by voucher

Subsequent top up, s and goodybag purchases can be completed in one step by calling 43430 and pressing option 2 as harrrrrry advised

And more recently, giffgaff introced the option of paying for a goodybag by voucher online

So instead of redeeming the voucher and then completing a second step to convert to a gooybag
You select a goodybag and on the ways to pay page there a button to select a voucher

( On the giffgaff app you need to click the menu button in the top right corner
Click "ways to buy"
You can thrn proceed to select a goodybag and the pay button voucher option will be visible
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 20 of 28