by: studio_muppet
on: 29/06/2018 | 11:20 edited: 29/06/2018 | 11:21

@sloz Voucher??? I paid by credit card.

Message 21 of 28
by: sloz
on: 29/06/2018 | 11:27
@studio_muppet
Ah right, sorry I presumed you used a voucher,
Could I ask why you didn't buy a goodybag direct with a debit card? Or did you intend to just add £10 ?

When using a debit card to activate a sim, giffgaff actually add 2p to your balance,
So it's very unusual that your balance reduced without the sim even being inserted in a phone
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 22 of 28
by: giffgaff20147
on: 29/06/2018 | 11:34

@studio_muppet

Wrote Topped up £10, instantly dropped to £9.99.

So there is no way data could be used.

if that’s the case there clearly is a 1p glitch and as you say is different to expired goodybag, 

its hard to tell sometimes as getting full facts as they happen can be an almost impossible task ,

Message 23 of 28
by: studio_muppet
on: 29/06/2018 | 11:43
@sloz I was getting the SIM ready in my final week of BT Mobile service so just wanted it ready to go. Once the agent sorted my balance out I bought a goody bag later in the week, all this without inserting the SIM. So when I finally popped the SIM in I was ready to roll.

I paid by credit card not debit card (don't know if that makes a difference).
Message 24 of 28
by: harrrrrry
on: 29/06/2018 | 12:01

@muddycalhoun

a friend who was clipped 1p after trying to use the same method on my recommendation

I'm guessing that despite using the 43430 service, the friend followed the option 1 method to top up from a voucher instead of the option 2 method that would have allowed them to buy the goodybag direct.

Its unfortunate that option 1 comes before option 2 for historical reasons. Sadly, too many people don't understand the difference between topping up and buying a goodybag and therefore follow that first option even though it's not the option that they need.

Maybe it would help to change "press 1" to "press 3" and not mention it until after option 2.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 25 of 28
by: harrrrrry
on: 29/06/2018 | 12:10

@muddycalhoun

there is a data charge despite giffgaff protestations that their website is free

If payment is by credit or debit card, then it may involve an authorisation on a site such as Verified by Visa

Unlike paypal, the VV site is not currently free rated -- which has two impacts:

• if you have credit, a small amount of that credit will be used to visit the verification site
  • if you don't have credit and the bank requires verification, the payment will fail -- but the bank will deny any knowledge of refusing the payment, because the verification request never reached their site

Getting VV and other verification servers free rated might help solve this problem -- you can support that idea at https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16709244/sites-providing-payment-verification-services-should-be-reac...

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 26 of 28
by: muddycalhoun
on: 29/06/2018 | 13:30
Well that is news to me, I also have been tempted by the allure of the first option I will try your suggestion soon as I top up next. Almost always the method used in my case a voucher and I believe that the same is true for my old pard'. Does that have any bearing I wonder? Thanks for your reply
Message 27 of 28
by: muddycalhoun
on: 29/06/2018 | 13:37
Some people have also informed me that the bank or credit card providers can be a possibility when it comes to this knotty problem. However that I have to my knowledge only ever used a voucher
Still I appreciate your input thanks
Message 28 of 28