on: 13/04/2018 | 18:00 edited: 16/04/2018 | 13:59

The-gaff-banner-2018-v2.png

The gaff banner by: brulaw

"The gaff is always filled with useful information and tips" - a1ant
13th April 2018/Issue #261

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

Updates about calling 101 and transferring your number

After the extra GB announced a few weeks ago, @antonlg wanted to let you know about 2 more things that we have implemented recently. The first one is about the 101 non-emergency number. Calling this number is free of charge now (along with calling 105, 111, 112/999 or number starting with 116). The second one is that you have now 2 additional hours to submit the form of transferring your number (5 PM instead of 3 PM) if you want this to happen the next business day. In order to accommodate these changes, we are already working on:

• updating this pricing page with the new information.
  • solving the small bug that causes the 'Transfer your number' to be hidden in the 'Chose another date' section.

giffgaff raises funds | help us choose a charity

Remember the fantastic giffgaff bike ride to Catalonia, Spain last year? Less than a year ago our lovely giffstaffers cycled 360km to raise a whopping £30,000 for Great Ormond Street Children Hospital. This year we're looking to involve even more giffgaff fundraisers, so we have decided to shorten the distance and add a hiking option for those who are not particularly friendly with bikes. The next giffgaff Summer sporting challenge is London- Brighton 'Ride, Stride & Party outside' fundraising event. Voting has already closed and the community have voted for giffgaff to raise funds for CRY. Head over here to see the thread.

Hello! To introduce myself...

Head over and welcome our new giffstaffer @dc_caton78: People call me DC (my name is David Caton) and I’m here to look after propositions, loyalty and communications. What this means is that, together with you, we’ll develop:

- Great reasons for existing members to stay in love with giffgaff

- Great reasons for prospective members to choose giffgaff

- Communications to tell existing members everything they might need to know about giffgaff.

Click here to welcome David!

Introducing our new ad campaign 'Stay because you want to stay'

@riajoy has some VERY exciting news for us all Smiley Very Happy. Alongside our sponsorship of The Voice, our very talented brand team have been working hard on a whole new advertising campaign 'Stay, because you want to stay'. We're all really excited to see how you interpret this, how it makes you feel and what your lasting thoughts are. Let us know on this thread. So for the full story, click the link and read riajoy's great news.

Blog Highlights
by willp789

7 Simple Ways to Have Your Phone Running Like New For Longer

We use our smartphones every day yet we only replace them every few years, so @abdulf has brought us some tips to ensure we keep our smartphones running fresh. For instance, did you know that the temperature can impact on the performance of your smartphone? Abdul also details some steps to ensure the software doesn't get too clogged up, so head over to find out more.

How Much is 3GB of Data On A Smartphone? - Will You Need More?

Mobile data costs money, so every megabyte counts. @zerodudex333 goes into detail with how far 3GB will last, and how much data is used by different activities. For example, 1 hour of streaming Spotify at "normal quality" only uses 40MB of data. Read the blog for the full breakdown of how much data you really need.

7 Myths About VPNs And How to Choose The Right One

The internet is evolving and we need to be increasingly aware of our online privacy, and so @abdulf has brought us a detailed blog to educate us about VPNs. Click the link to get educated!

Find in Page Tip
by toxiic

Searching through a hoard of words on a website or pdf can be an absolute nightmare. It takes a lot of time and sometimes just leaves you wondering why you tried in the first place. In a bid to make your life just a tad easier, I’m here to remind you ways that you can get straight to what text you’re looking.

Note: that you probably already know these methods, but I’m sure a shocking amount of people forget about them, and instead opt to manually find the info needed.

Find on Page, Browser

The ‘Find in this Page’ / ‘Find on Page’ is a hero when it comes to highlighting the bits of info you actually need. This is luckily quite common on browsers nowadays. Simply click the 3 dots (Chrome + Microsoft Edge) or 3 bars (Firefox) and click “Find on Page” or anything of the sort. Alternatively, pressing CTRL + F (or CMD + F) on your keyboard usually works. Then, just give a couple of words that might lead you to the paragraph you need and hit Enter. That’s all.

A real-life example of this is when I needed to search through a pdf of “Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde”. I wanted to find which page a certain quote was on. So, I followed the instructions above and found that “Mr. Utterson stepped out and touched him on the shoulder” was on Page 10. That saved a fair bit of time reading through the other parts of the novella, nice!

Microsoft Word

A further example of this is the simple ‘Find’ option on most versions of Microsoft Word. Simply click ‘Find’ in the right-hand corner, type in whatever keywords you like into the box with the Magnifying Glass then hit Enter. All of the instances of those keywords will be highlighted and easily readable.

Check out my other content here, or the original post here.

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

neway01.png

Head over and give @neway01 a warm welcome here.

mscute.png

Say hello to @mscute over here.

ashleydavies1999.png

You can find @ashleydavies1999 over here.

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

This week's featured photo is "Hello" by @aim101. Comments from giffgaffers included "very cute" (kazkat1), "lovely photo" (bobrobinson & themzbiker), "fabulous photo" (ellieclarke1989), "great composition and very nicely taken" (markulous), "wonderful" (frenchielove) and "his great, love the picture" (daily_bloom).

Some great comments and well deserved too, it's a lovely image taken under tricky conditions. Click here to see the original post. Thank you to all you giffgaffers for taking and sharing these images, please keep them coming.

Hello.jpg

Tech Developments
by revilo10

Android Security Flaws!

Ahoy giffgaffers! This week I bring you some spicey news from the Android camp. Read on, because if you're an Android user, you'll want to hear about this.

As all of us Android users know, our OS is infamously slow to roll out updates, and it's something many of us disregard and forget about the importance of these updates. OS updates include necessary security enhancements that keep your device safe and secure from the latest threats.

A recent article published by The Verge, revealed that only 1.1% of Android users have been able to access the latest Android update that was published in February. Google launched an investigation into the issue and provided the following statement:

Click to reveal

“We would like to thank Karsten Nohl and Jakob Kell for their continued efforts to reinforce the security of the Android ecosystem. We’re working with them to improve their detection mechanisms to account for situations where a device uses an alternate security update instead of the Google suggested security update. Security updates are one of many layers used to protect Android devices and users. Built-in platform protections, such as application sandboxing, and security services, such as Google Play Protect, are just as important. These layers of security—combined with the tremendous diversity of the Android ecosystem—contribute to the researchers’ conclusions that remote exploitation of Android devices remains challenging.”

I will keep you posted on this issue in the coming weeks.

Thanks for reading

Previous Edition | Next Edition (20th April 2018)

Message 1 of 26
by: brulaw
on: 13/04/2018 | 18:01 edited: 13/04/2018 | 18:03

friday  gaff day.png

Message 2 of 26
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 13/04/2018 | 18:06 edited: 13/04/2018 | 18:09

Hope you enjoyed reading another packed edition from the gaff team and the fantastic photo from @aim101

Thank you to my fellow gaff colleagues as usual awesome work 👌

@willp789 @brulaw @kathleen414 @ijustcantdoit @jammydodge @toxiic @revilo10 @as7861

I am looking forward to nexts week edition already 

c7cd2b0cc6f68a15276cdf81f31c8d7e--smiley-emoji-smiley-faces.jpg

See you all next week 👍
Message 3 of 26
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 13/04/2018 | 18:11

@riajoy 

I saw this today aswell

20180413_180739.png

And I do want to stay 

Message 4 of 26
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 13/04/2018 | 18:33

giffgaffjmEq9-01.jpegCheers

Yvonne 

Message 5 of 26
by: kathleen414
on: 13/04/2018 | 18:33 edited: 13/04/2018 | 22:28

Hiya everyone

I do love my weekly edition of the gaff , thanks to all the gang for bringing us this week's edition , I am going to head off and have a good read up👌

Congrats to @aim101 on your hello picture , it's fab 

Thanks for bringing it all together @willp789

Message 6 of 26
by: allan1954
on: 13/04/2018 | 18:38
@brulaw @willp789 well done again in this weeks the gaff a very nice read.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 26
by: mcilwraith
on: 13/04/2018 | 19:31

to everyone involved thanks for this weeks gaff

Message 8 of 26
by: a1ant
on: 13/04/2018 | 19:51

Hi @willp789, @bluemoonbaz, @toxiic, @kathleen414, @brulaw and @revilo10.

Thank you so much to you all for another cracking edition of The gaff, as always it is full of great information and tips. Smiley Happy

A very warm welcome to our new giffgaff members: @neway01, @mscute and @ashleydavies1992

I hope you are enjoying giffgaff. Smiley Happy

Congratulations to @aim101 for this weeks photo of the the week, great photo. Smiley Happy

Wishing you all a great weekend. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

a1ant Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 26
by: kicker
on: 13/04/2018 | 20:52
Great read 📖 as always, thanks @willp789
Get a free giffgaff SimEconomy is the wealth of the poor and the wisdom of the rich.
Message 10 of 26