The-gaff-banner-2018-v2.png

The gaff banner by: brulaw

"Lots of great news and photos to check out" - cass905

14th September 2018/Issue #283

Add The gaff to your calendar!

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

Big changes ahead for the giffgaff community

Well I never thought this day would come, but giffgaff listened and @alex_w has some news for us: "Our new partner will be Vanilla Forums. Vanilla, like giffgaff, is a young company that has grown rapidly, and they impressed us when demonstrating how flexible their platform is. They offer a range of features that excel in areas that we know are important to you as members, as well as to giffgaff as a whole.

giffgaff want to bring the members along on this journey. So at the earliest possible opportunity, giffgaff will be inviting some members to join us on the first Vanilla hosted development community. Is this something you would like to be involved in? If so, drop a reply here to let Alex and the team know.

Can you help us improve the website menus? - Step 2

giffgaff are working on how the site is laid out and looks they need our help. If you could take the time to check out a couple of surveys, they're about how you might navigate the giffgaff website to find something specific. One is for one layout, and the other is for another layout, and you can do either or both - all @daniele_i asks is that we answer all the questions honestly. The survey will help giffgaff improve the website for us all.

Survey 1 - Website desktop view

Survey 2 - Website mobile view

giffgaff gameplan

Have you been to our cool gameplan pages yet? Join @juan_p and the other members and share your financial goals while helping others reach their own, find and share great Hot Deals or get a helping hand with our financial products. Everyone is welcome, click here and get stuck in.

Talk Like a Pirate Day

Shiver me timbers, it’s International Talk Like a Pirate Day on the 19th of September and @shaina_k would love you to share some funny one-liners in the pirate lingo using giffgaff studio. Why not join the fun and see what you can come up with, off ya go me harties. Click here.

Blog Highlights
by jammydodge

iPhone Xs Max, Xs and Xr: All you need to know

On Wednesday evening, Apple held their annual keynote unveiling the world's most hotly anticipated smartphones of the year. If you missed this, then you better check out @shadylady's comprehensive blog on all three of the brand new models unleashed onto the world. Why not give it a read now.

Three budget smartphones that have gone unnoticed

With big headlines coming out from both the Samsung and most recently the Apple camps, it is easy to see how great phones by some brands don't make it into the headlines. While you may know exactly what you're getting when you buy an Apple or Samsung device, the budget smartphones of other brands often contain exciting little gems worth way more than an iPhone. In this blog, @abdulf checks out 3 budget smartphones worthy of the spotlight. Head over to the new blog now and check it out.

iPhone Xs / Xs Max eSIM and dual-SIM explained

Apple first launched the eSIM concept back in 2017 with it featuring in the Apple Watch however, the lack of carriers supporting it meant it didn't gain the attention it was due. Now its back again making a headline feature in the top of the range iPhone Xs and Xs Max. Not only can you down your sim ejector kits once and for all but also making its debut is the dual-SIM function in an iPhone. To find out more on how each feature will work, pop over and give @wsjudd's informative blog a read.

Hot Tips & Guides
by toxiic

Hello everyone, in this edition of the gaff, I thought I’d spice things up by highlighting some popular/interesting Tips and Guides threads I’ve come across in the past week or so. If you read the following and think this idea might be interesting every couple of gaffs alongside tips/tricks then let me know! Anyhow, let’s get into it.

@alecbromley created a thread based on how to remove ink from permanent marker pens. They said “Anti-Perspirant is all you need”, continuing by advising to “spray on the writing or picture and wipe off with a dry cloth”. Cheers Alec for the tip, I’m sure it will help someone out there. You can find the thread here.

@yaseend made an interesting post on the Note 8 recently and the things they like about it. Notably, they say about the “useful” S-Pen that comes with the phone and the “amazing” camera. Those are just some of the points yaseend made in the thread you can find here.

@gizzblue published a beneficial tip about removing those pesky ants! They recommended “Stardrops [power cleaner with Ammonia]”. This product might just help you with ant issues. You can have a read of this thread here.

Thanks for viewing this short guide. If you’d like to check out my other content, you can do so here.

The gaff Developments
by willp789

Afternoon all, just a quick one from me (the editor). My schedule will be changing from October, which could interfere with publishing at 6PM on Fridays. As a result, I will have to reconsider what time I publish. It could be as simple as moving to 7PM.

I have a very simple question for you all, when do you tend to read the gaff? I've put together a quick poll, I would greatly appreciate it if you could cast your vote. It will only take you a few seconds.

Cast your vote

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

1536939415594.png

Say hello to @tomuks112112 here.

1536939420185.png

Welcome @bunnyx82x right here.

1536939423863.png

Find out why @gruntfutuk left Three here.

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

This week's featured photo is Inside our hotel by @kenralph. Some of the comments included: "That's awesome" (thesepticpheasant), "You had me fooled I thought it was Venice till I read your comments" (sarahjardine), "Really beautiful pictures and must say your hotel is very plush and must be a joy to stay in" (the_bookie), "That hotel looks so unique, I wouldn't have known it was inside unless you said" (ellieclarke1989).

Great images as always, yet another tough choice. Thank you, everyone, please keep the brilliant pictures coming... Click here to see the original post.

IMAG2278.jpg

Tech Developments
by revilo10

With the announcement of many new phones recently, most notably the new iPhones, we have seen a large increase in the use of eSIMs. But what are eSims? Why are they useful? Let's dig in and take a look.

First of all, an eSIM is an embedded SIM card, which means that the chip is already automatically inside your device, much like an NFC chip. This removes the need for trying to poke the hole and try and pry the sim slot open. They are connected to automatically through software on your phone, and your carrier (hopefully giffgaff!) can simply send the information about any calls, texts and data, to that chip to be used on your phone. Much like a normal phone.

It all started with the Apple Watch, through which you could text, call and browse the internet. After that, the market expanded to many other phone brands, such as Huawei, and now Apple, with it's newest iPhones.

Thanks for reading

Previous Edition | Next Edition (21st September 2018)

Message 1 of 30
by: brulaw
on: 14/09/2018 | 18:02 edited: 14/09/2018 | 18:13

The gaff Friday 14th Sept.png

@willp789  ..... Re publishing time ( day )  for The gaff  , I think people will be happy  for it to be a time  ( day ) that suits you ,  one thing is certain ...... whenever it is it'll still be brilliant and  be appreciated by everyone who reads it . 

Message 2 of 30
by: frenchielove
on: 14/09/2018 | 18:16

Thank you @willp789 and the team for a great read, and I voted, hope it worked? 

Message 3 of 30
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 14/09/2018 | 18:23

3607774v0i01pw2tw.gif

WOW!

Loads to read this week and especially about the vanilla platform which sounds interesting

Everyone puts a lot into the gaff and whatever time it comes out it's worth reading

Cheers

Yvonne 

Message 4 of 30
by: tids
on: 14/09/2018 | 18:39

@willp789

And the gaff team👍

Thanks for bringing this edition to the community it's a great source of info yet again 

Well done 👍

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 30
by: davidevans0000
on: 14/09/2018 | 18:40
well done again on the gaff @brulaw @willp789 and all the team.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 30
by: blue1212
on: 14/09/2018 | 18:50

@willp789

Friday and the gaff go hand in hand 

It's where we find out what's happening in the forum's

Well done again 👍👍👍👍

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 30
by: tinawilliams0410
on: 14/09/2018 | 18:55
Thank you. I am looking for a new phone and been thinking of the XZ1. May have gone unnoticed by some, but not me. some great prices out there on this too,
Message 8 of 30
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 14/09/2018 | 19:05 edited: 14/09/2018 | 20:39

Good evening gaff readers 👍.

We hope you enjoyed our latest edition  from all the gaff team 

@willp789 @ijustcantdoit @kathleen414 @as7861 @jammydodge  @revilo10 and myself 😁

This week's featured photo

hotel by  @kenralph is really atmospheric. 

Nice one mate 

Welcome to our new giffgaff friend's @tomuks112112@bunnyx82x and @gruntfutuk,

giffgaffefEOz.pngWith all the latest Giffgaff happenings

See you all next week for another packed edition, it will be worth the little ...extra wait 

Message 9 of 30
by: notherefornothing
on: 14/09/2018 | 19:12

@willp789 I'm more than happy to wait a bit longer .The read is always worth it.

No matter how much I try to keep up with what's happening, I always find something that I've missed.

Thanks all!

Message 10 of 30