Knowledge Base
Community

The gaff - 15th July 2016

Started by: mitchell98
On: 17/07/2016 | 19:42
Replies: 25

by: mitchell98
on: 17/07/2016 | 19:42 edited: 18/07/2016 | 11:45

the gaff is best viewed on a desktop or laptop computer, or on a tablet device. It is not designed for viewing on a mobile device in portrait mode, so if you're reading from your phone, please rotate it to a horizontal orientation and view in landscape mode.

the gaff - bannerthe gaff: banner by brulaw 

"It seems as if we have no voice, it's time for us to make a choice."

15th July 2016 / Issue #184

• giffgaff summer of phone deals

Summer is here and it seems like it's here to stay, and with everyone enjoying the sunny weather, giffgaff thought they could do something to make everyone's summer a little more special. @gadgetchamp announced earlier this week that there would be a nice discount on a range of new phones over at the giffgaff store, as well as being extra generous and throwing in a few discounts for 'marketplace' phones, also known as 'pre-owned' phones! Some of the phones included in the discount are Huawei P9 lite, Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, Samsung Galaxy S7, Huawei P9 and iPhone 6S (64GB & 128GB models) - be sure to get your hands on them while stocks last. This deal will only last for three weeks, so be sure to check out the offers before (around) 2nd August.

• Meet the staff at the gaff

We know what you're thinking, you already know me and Mark! Well, it's not us at the gaff, it's the gaffers at giffgaff's gaff! Make sense? When you're on the Community, whether you're helping in Help and Support or chatting about movies in General Discussion then chances are, you've met or come across someone who works for giffgaff, usually the Community Team. Everyone knows the Educators and Community Managers, but not many people know the giffstaffers who work behind the scenes to make sure everything keeps running and @roxy_r and the others thought it was time to change that! So, from now on, every so often a giffstaffer will introduce themselves to the Community and try to communicate and get to know everyone a little better, and it started this week with @katehatcher, the Office Manager, or as she likes to call it, the person who runs the joint! Did you know that Kate once won a McDonalds eating competition? We didn't either until we read her introduction! There's a few more facts you might not know, so be sure to check Roxy's thread to see Kate's introduction and keep up to date with other messages from giffstaffers in the future!

@puzzle1 says "Hi all I'm Taff - first time here, don't really know what I am doing".

Hi Taff! We hope you're finding your way around okay? If you're stuck or have any questions, please shout out. We will be more than happy to help you. Smiley Happy

@trash_moody says "Hello everybody, I'm new here and joined last week. We don't really need those contracts. Do we guys?".

Hiya trash_moody - We hear you there! No we don't Smiley Wink

@clear1978 Jules is on her second week with giffgaff and that all she says is "WOW I'm in love with gg. I can't believe I've wasted so much money on contract phone deals. When I could have had a service like this"

Greetings Jules! We are so glad you're a happy bunny. Heart

@sambcpfc

Sam has just joined and is glad he has changed network provider. Hello Sam! Glad to have you on-board.  

@aaronical says "Hello everyone. My name is Aaron and I have recently moved to London from the US and is excited to be part of the gg community". Hey Aaron - We hope you're settling into the UK okay? Here's a HUGE welcome from us lot. 

wfhe.png

• Pokémon Go released, iOS 10 Public Beta, OnePlus 3 and more!

There's been a lot going on this week in the world of tech and as usual, we have @wsjudd bringing us the latest! Pokémon Go has finally been released officially in the UK and some countries around the world, the OnePlus 3 prices have been increased by £20, the iOS 10 public beta has been launched and Google start to prepare their own Android Wear smartwatches! All this and more in this week's tech news round-up.

• 5 reasons why Google Gboard is awesome

Have you heard of the new Google app, Gboard? Nope, me neither, until I checked out this awesome review by @shadylady! The new Google Gboard has a bunch of features and was made for the iPhone and makes life a lot easier for those of you who own an iPhone! There's search features for emojis and gifs, search Google without having to leave the app and actually accurate predictive text! If you fancy a new keyboard layout for your iPhone, check Sadia's review of Google's Gboard!

• If I was to change one thing about the giffgaff money site..

..it would be? As the thread title says, what would you change about the current giffgaff money site and why? That's the question that Community Manager @vincent_m asked the Community this week. This could be anything from how it looks, navigates, feels or could be a completely new idea or feature that you would like to see introduced to the giffgaff money site. Vincent and the team are genuinely curious about what you would like to see and would love to hear your thoughts - if you have an idea or know something you would want adding or changing, head over to Vincent's thread and leave some feedback! If you've not visited the giffgaff money site yet, click here to check it out!

• Sports - July '16 Design Competition - Winner announced!

Last week we featured @the_islander's competition which saw members of the Community coming up with amazing ideas and creating a giffgaff Sports Day poster! Well, the competition has now ended and the winner has been announced.. the winner is carlryds! Congratulations to you Carl and enjoy the £15 Payback heading your way shortly! There's also another design competition coming our way in around two weeks time, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled over at General Discussion!

• Windows App Beta Update

As you may or may not know, @gurpreet_l recently left the Community Team and joined the Dev Team as a Scrum Master, just like ggzelle did a little while back and today it's time for Gurpreet to bring us her first bit of information from the work she's been doing in her new role! For the members who signed up to take part in the beta program, there's some new features in the shiny new version of the app, v1.2! So, what's new? Well, as with the iOS and Android version of the giffgaff app, you can now check which of your contacts are on giffgaff and invite non-giffgaff contacts to join, there's been some bug fixes with some navigation issues that had been reported and voice commands have now been re-activated for you to use! If you've got the public version of the app then it should have automatically updated by now, so enjoy the new additions and bug fixes! If you're not involved in beta testing and want to find out more, simply click here to get a bit more information!

• Best album of all time?

This topic is just for a little bit of fun and for everyone to talk about their love of music and bring people together to discuss the topic of music, and that's exactly what has happened with @pastore's thread! It's one of those "does exactly what it says on the tin" kinds of things where the title of the thread speaks for itself - pastore wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on what the best album of all time is, either that or your top 5 favourite albums of all time! My personal favourite album of all time would be Thriller by Michael Jackson - what would yours be? Join in the discussion and let everyone else know what album you love the most!

• Creative Writing Competition - Years Gone By - VOTE NOW!

It's time for another Creative Writing Competition, hosted by polowoman! If you're not familiar with the competition, it's where the Community is given a topic or theme in which they have the chance to write a story about, usually with the word aim of around or under 1500 words - when the members write their story, however long or short, they will then be entered into the competition where they have the chance to win some amazing payback prizes! If you create an amazing story and get the most votes, you'll bag yourself £50 payback, second place gets £15 payback and third place gets £10 payback - awesome! The thread has recently been given a nice new look, so be sure to check it out! It's a whole load of fun and gives you the chance to get creative, with a nice Payback surprise for those lucky winners! Entries have now closed but voting has opened and will run through until midnight Saturday 23rd July with winners being announced Tuesday 26th July.

Pokémon Go and the good effects it's having around the world

If you've been anywhere near social media, family or children for the past two weeks then chances are, you've heard about something called Pokémon Go. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically a game/app on phones where people can roam around the world searching for and catching different Pokémon, gaining levels and taking over gyms, using augmented reality - the Pokémon and gyms appear on the screen, but they're not really there in real life.

Millions around the world love it for the fun they're having, the exercise they're getting and for another particular reason - the amount of good it is doing the charities. It is likely that thousands of dollars and pounds have been raised for charities around the world as a result of Pokémon Go players walking miles and miles to hatch eggs, but also installing helpful charity apps on their phones too which reward charities with small amounts of money for certain amounts of miles that have been walked, which is tracked using the phone.

One charity in particular is Charity Miles which says that the viral success of Pokémon Go could make a huge impact on charitable organisations in need of donations - Gene Gurkoff, founder of Charity Miles also said "We got a big surge [of miles] over the weekend, and we couldn't really understand what was going on - And then we realized: This must be from people using Pokémon Go.". The charities that can benefit from these can receive anything up to 25 cents (around 20 pence) per mile from walkers, while that might not seem like much, it all adds up from Pokémon Go players who walk thousands of miles collectively!

Click here to read more about the effect Pokémon Go is having around the world and how players are raising money for charities.

videomissions2016v2.png

Phones now cheaper:

• iPhone 6S (64GB): was £589; now £579
    • iPhone 6S (128GB): was £669; now £659
    • Samsung Galaxy S7: was £539; now £499
    • Samsung Galaxy A5 2016: was £309; now £299
    • Sony Xperia Z5 Compact: was £299; now £279
    • Sony Xperia X: was £459; now £449
    • Sony Xperia XA: was £239; now £219
    • HTC Desire 626: was £149; now £129
    • Huawei P9 Lite: was £239; now £199

Phones now more expensive:

• iPhone 6S (16GB): was £489; now £499
    • Samsung Galaxy S6: was £379; now £429
    • Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge: was £399; now £439
    • Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: was £599; now £619
    • Huawei P9: was £369; now £379

(Updated: Friday 15th July 2016 - prices are subject to change on a regular basis, typically weekly. Phones are subject to availability, especially refurbished ones.)

These phones, and more, are available for purchase here

(full feature) (Featured Members Archive)

Last Week's Featured Member

harrrrrry

harrrrrry (that's 6 r's, guys - we've done the counting) is a true giffgaffer and has been an absolute diamond on the Community for the last 5 years. His help posts are always top notch and he's even helped write up the guidelines for our Photography forum revamp. His sense of humourrrrr (geddit'?) is better than ours and you should get to know this member for some sneaky laughs.

Thanks for reading

If you would like to receive a weekly PM when a new edition of the gaff is posted, joining 157 other people currently on the mailing list, then click here.

Previous Edition | Next Edition (22nd July 2016)

Message 1 of 26
on: 17/07/2016 | 19:42 edited: 17/07/2016 | 19:50

Hey guys,

First of all, once again I have to apologise for the gaff being delayed for two days again, hopefully a jam packed Sunday edition will have up for it! And if not, then perhaps the next thing will.

If you've noticed at the bottom of this week's edition, the Phone Updates section has finally returned! Woohoo! There had been some issues gathering the data for a few weeks because of missing articles and places where the information would be gathered, but we now have the section back with a whole range of updates for you to enjoy, especially those of you who are looking to buy a phone with a discount!

That's about it for this week's edition of the gaff folks! Next week's edition should be perfectly on time with no delays, so there's always that to look forward to! And in light of recent events unfolding throughout the world, from France to Turkey, I ask that you all take a few seconds to keep those hurt by these events in your hearts and hope for a little peace and happiness in the world, because I know we need it for sure. Also a quick congratulations to @carlryds for winning the giffgaff Sports Day design competition! We would have @mentioned you in the newsletter, however we used up all of our mentions and hit the limit of 15!

One quote I believe strongly in and I would like to share with you is this

"In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe."

Peace and love to you all - stay happy.

Thanks to everyone for reading this week's edition of the gaff, have a lovely Sunday,

Mitchell.

Message 2 of 26
by: kathleen414
on: 17/07/2016 | 19:46 edited: 17/07/2016 | 19:47

Hiya Mark and Mitchell
@mark1101b. @mitchell98 great work as usual thank you both for all the effort you put into making the awesome gaff

Message 3 of 26
by: jesi23
on: 17/07/2016 | 20:02
@mitchell98

I think you'll find that @katehatcher RUNS the joint, not RUINS the joint - (or was that a Freudian slip?) Welcome, Kate!

I read the intro post, and double checked after reading The Gaff just now . . .

Jes
Please don't forget to come back after your problem has been resolved and select a best answer.
Also consider a kudos [+★] for any member who helped.
Message 4 of 26
on: 17/07/2016 | 20:16

jesi23 wrote:

@mitchell98

I think you'll find that @katehatcher RUNS the joint, not RUINS the joint - (or was that a Freudian slip?) Welcome, Kate!

I read the intro post, and double checked after reading The Gaff just now . . .

Jes

@jesi23 whoops, you're spot on there - apologies for that! I've edited that right away to avoid any more confusion, thanks to you and your eagle eyes for pointing that out!

Mitchell

Message 5 of 26
by: brulaw
on: 17/07/2016 | 20:18

The latest edition  of " The gaff " is here and as usual ......... It's a cracker   thumbup.gif

The  " M & M's " ..... M&M.gif  @mitchell98  and  @mark1101b  have done it again

thank_you.gif  Guys   .........           

congratulations.gif to our most recent Featured Member    @harrrrrry   claping.gif              

Happy giffgaffing everyone      thumbup.gif      

Message 6 of 26
by: brulaw
on: 17/07/2016 | 20:24

@mitchell98

Mitch .... there's really no need to apologise when The gaff is a little late ..... It's always worth the wait and always a great read   Smiley Happy

And we all know that there are times when schedules go out of the window for whatever reasons ,

Your efforts with The gaff are always appreciated  , Thank You . 

Message 7 of 26
by: farnis
on: 17/07/2016 | 20:28 edited: 17/07/2016 | 20:29

See below

Message 8 of 26
by: farnis
on: 17/07/2016 | 20:29

Phones now cheaper:

• iPhone 6S (64GB): was £589; now £379

@mitchell98

The iphone 6S 64GB is £579 and not £379. 

Cheers

Message 9 of 26
on: 17/07/2016 | 20:32

farnis wrote:

Click to reveal

Phones now cheaper:

• iPhone 6S (64GB): was £589; now £379

@mitchell98

The iphone 6S 64GB is £579 and not £379. 

Cheers

Hey @farnis,

Thanks for spotting that! The correct price is indeed £579 currently rather than £379 - that's something I put in the wrong place and has now been updated. Smiley Happy

Mitchell

Message 10 of 26