The gaff - 1st March 2019

Started by: willp789
On: 01/03/2019 | 18:00
Replies: 58

by: willp789
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:00 edited: 01/03/2019 | 19:25

The-gaff-banner-2019-v1.png

The gaff banner by: brulaw

"We are not makers of history. We are made by history." - Martin Luther King Jr.

1st March 2019/Issue #307

Add The gaff to your calendar!

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

A new kind of giffgaff advert, coming soon

giffgaff are creating new TV ads that will feature the goodybag ranges, plus other benefits such as the recommended plan feature, or the extra 1GB of data when you run out. The team are still working on the finished advert, but you can see how things are progressing and give your feedback. Head over here and see what's happening.

February 2019 Payback Calculations

@alex_w has updated the payback calculations post. You can find all the latest news each payback month here, plus, if there have been any spanners or problems plus the points statement date.

Labs and any external pages all on the one forum

@ijustcantdoit brings up something that would be a great option for our new community. He says 'I would like our labs pages and any other link away from the main pages to be brought back under the new platform. Looking back, I see the old ideas pages were as so, but now it's not visible unless you know where to find it. We will get more interaction with these sections if they are clearly visible on the main forum pages.' Do you feel strongly about this or are you happy with the current set up we have? Give your views here.

Inviting you to share feedback about your energy provider

@mrswalcott our Member Insight Lead at giffgaff wanted the members' help. Recently, giffgaff sent a survey out to our members to find out who their gas and electricity suppliers were. Our giffgaff gameplan team would love to find out why you decided to stay with your current supplier, if you had a spare a moment and contributed Smiley Happy then you can see how the suppliers were rated by the members, check out the results here. Please head over and get involved with our giffgaff gameplan.

Seeing your lovely faces :-)

giffgaff are producing a 3 minute video that shows the power of the community for the big O2 yearly conference. So, if you're interested in being a part of this then please drop @riajoy a private message with your photographs. Production will start on Monday 4th March, so any photos sent after Monday may not be used. See the main thread here.

A sorting exercise for everyone - Knowledge Base related

Here is a big opportunity for everyone to be involved in how the Knowledge Base(KB) is shaped going forward. Most of you might not know this but the KB is visited on average about 15000 times a day so making this right will have a huge positive impact for many people. If you would like to join in the helpful community effort click here.

Blog Highlights
by jammydodge

MWC 2019 Recap - full new mobile phones list

Mobile World Congress 2019, has drawn to a close for yet another year. This year at the world largest mobile event, held annually in Barcelona, some hotly anticipated designs and tech was unveiled. In case you missed any of the wave making headlines, why not check out @zerodudex333's recap of the biggest announcements made this year. You can also head to the blog to find day by day summaries from MWC.

Game changer: the technology behind Samsung Galaxy Fold

Last week Samsung unveiled their latest lineup of high-end smartphones at their annual special event. Most notably making headlines was the first foldable smartphone by a smartphone giant, the Galaxy Fold. While the idea may seem incredibly simple, the hidden technology is remarkably curious. In his latest blog, @wsjudd lifts the lid on the Fold to reveal all you need about its inner workings. Pop over now to learn all about it.

The only network run by you. Meet natty88

You may be familiar with the member name @natty88, a true giffgaff legend of the forums. To celebrate his legendary status, aggy_agate explores what makes natty88 a true embodiment of the giffgaff slogan 'the mobile network run by you'. To find out more, head over to the blog right now.

A closer look at Amazon Prime
by toxiic

In this week’s gaff, I’m continuing to delve deep into the subscription service of Amazon’s: Amazon Prime. This week, I’ll cover Twitch Prime and Amazon Pantry to help give you more information and my experience on what Amazon has to offer. This will be the final article in this series, if you missed the two before this then they’re available on previous gaff threads.

Twitch is a website where people can stream what they wish in real-time, with viewers being able to watch. It’s a lot like YouTube videos but the video footage is live rather than pre-recorded. Twitch was acquired by Amazon in 2014, hence why there are a few benefits that Prime holders get with Twitch. To receive these benefits, you need to link your Twitch account with your Amazon account but once you do you’ll receive quite a few cool items which regularly change. You’ll get things like PC games, which you’re able to download using the Twitch app on your PC, some in-game currency/weapon skins/loot - what it is will depend on the game (League of Legends currently has a Summoner’s Crown Capsule available for free) and also a free subscription to any channel that can receive subscriptions every month which you’d otherwise pay for. You also get some small changes like blue crown next to your name in chat. The list of free stuff can be found here.

Prime members also get access to Amazon Pantry. Amazon Pantry can be described as an online shop (from the likes of Sainsbury’s, Asda, Tesco etc) but without the quickly perishable items like milk, eggs, bread and so on. The selection of Pantry is growing but is still quite limited – with a fair few products that I’ve bought relying on Morrisons’ products with not too many other choices (though they were good for the price). The idea for delivery is that you pay £3.99 regardless of the number of items you buy unless there’s a promotional offer on where you buy 4 qualifying items which cancel out this delivery cost (though it’s replaced by the cost of the 4 qualifying items) which are listed on this page.

If you liked this then you might also like my other content which can be found here.

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

1551456585791.png

Please welcome @louloubelle7 over here.

1551456591274.png

Say hello to @angni56 right here.

1551456598926.png

Welcome @minecraftman13yt over here.

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

This week's featured photo is Another view of The Shard from Sky Garden by @thesepticpheasant . Some of the comments included: "Wow! That's amazing" (lornaerudd), "That would be good turned into a jigsaw puzzle" (themrbarso), "Must say, cracking aerial picture of The Shard. Yes and really wonderful to see the buildings lit up by the water & colourful orange sky" (the_bookie), "Just superb" (jeanlk).

Another week, another tough choice... I thank you all for sharing these brilliant photos, please keep them coming. Click here to see the original post with the full photo in all its glory.

Another view of The Shard from Sky Garden.jpg

Tech Developments
by revilo10

Samsung Galaxy S10 Release

As we were all expecting, Samsung released and announced their latest, and 10th anniversary, version of the Galaxy. It has been hyped up for a long time now, and finally, the day came on February 20th when it was announced. So, in this week's Tech Developments, I'm going to sum up everything that went down on the day.

So, there are three models of the phone open for pre-order (they come on sale March 8th), the S10e, the standard S10 and the S10+. I will be covering the 5G edition of Samsung's newly announced line up in a separate article which focuses solely on 5G technologies, so watch out for that. The S10e is the entry-level model and offers a cheaper price for some pretty good features. Starting at £699, a 5.8" display, a 10MP selfie camera, 12MP + 16MP rear cameras, 6GB or 8GB of RAM and 128GB or 256GB of storage.

The standard S10 starts at £799. It comes with a 6.1" display, a 10MP selfie camera, 12MP + 12MP + 16MP rear cameras, 8GB of RAM, 128GB or 512GB of storage. Finally, the S10+, which starts at £899. It comes with a 6.4" display, 10MP+8MP dual selfie cameras, 12MP +12MP + 16MP rear cameras, 8GB of RAM and 128GB, 512GB or 1TB of storage.

Thanks for reading

Brought to you by willp789, mitchell98, bluemoonbaz, jammydodge, toxiic, kathleen414, brulaw and revilo10.

Previous Edition | Next Edition (8th March 2019)

Message 1 of 59
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:07

Good evening everyone .

Have you got that Friday feeling  well its time for a nice cuppa and your weekly gaff round up.

Thanks to all the members for your continued patronage , it's much appreciated by all the gaff team.

We hope you enjoy this week's edition and if you see or want to bring something to our attention for the gaff , just send us a pm .

Have a great weekend everyone 😁giffgafftLofP.png

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 2 of 59
by: jaymailsays
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:07 edited: 03/03/2019 | 03:39

Great Read

Might want to retire Michael Jackson 'Watching Masters at Work'

Ch 4 are exposing his alleged grooming of children on Wednesday and Thursday next week.

EDIT 03/03/2019

willp789  wrote: 01/03/2019

Thanks for pointing this out @jaymailsays. Due to the matter in hand, I've changed the quote with immediate effect. I'm afraid this quote was simply translated across from last week's edition, it wasn't an intentional choice. Had I been aware of the news then, of course, I wouldn't have included it.

@willp789  Thanks.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 59
by: allan1954
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:16
Thanks a wonderful read of the Gaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 59
by: kathleen414
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:29 edited: 01/03/2019 | 19:03

Hiya everyone 

ohhh yes @bluemoonbaz  i have that friday feeling and the gaff is the icing on the cake ( well it would but im on the fitness trail)

Love the photograph @thesepticpheasant i dont have a head for heights but it must be amazing looking over the skyline.

@toxiic  i dont know what i would do without my prime its soo fab .

Thanks to all the team for this weeks edition

willp789mitchell98bluemoonbazjammydodgetoxiickathleen414brulaw and revilo10.

images.jpeg.jpgenjoy

Message 5 of 59
by: natty88
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:32

@willp789  @bluemoonbaz @mitchell88  @jammydodge  @_toxiic  @kathleen414  @brulaw  @revilo10  thanks again for my mention great issue this week we'll done everyone have a smashing weekend 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 59
by: finlaybj
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:36
Thanks for another jam packed weekly edition.
Message 7 of 59
by: isabel1066
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:43
Thank You @brulaw and the team for the gaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 59
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 01/03/2019 | 18:55

2019-03-01-09-44-48.jpg

Thanks team Giffgaff for this weeks gaff👏

Great teamwork once again👏

It's lovely to see more people coming to Giffgaff and the more the merrier 👏

Great photo from @thesepticpheasant it was just beautiful👏

The gaff is a good read 

Take care everyone and have a great weekend 

Cheers 

Yvonne.🥂

Message 9 of 59
by: alanjury
on: 01/03/2019 | 19:00 edited: 01/03/2019 | 19:01

@willp789 

There must be an almost endless list of people from whom we could have inspiring quotations at the head of the Gaff.

In light of this, I feel I must ask how appropriate it is to have a quote from Michael Jackson bearing in mind recent news articles, for example https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47403951

Giving publicity to child molesters, whether living or dead, is surely something giffgaff should not be doing.

Message 10 of 59