by: willp789
on: 01/09/2017 | 18:00
the_gaff_2017_banner_2.pngthe gaff banner by: brulaw
"I believe in me, so you believe in you"
1st September 2017/Issue #229

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

Contribute to giffgaff hacks and earn extra rewards

From our own @aggy_agate:  Do you fancy sharing your cool tips guides or hacks? Then Aggie is looking for you Smiley Happy.

"Every single one of you has unique passions, hobbies, something you are good at. Be it tech, marketing, finance, crafting, cooking, dog grooming or what have you - there's something you have mastered in your life. There are also other people who have similar hobbies/professions, or they are interested in trying out something new."

So if you like the sound of this, head over here and you can find all about this from Aggie. I am looking forward to seeing what the members come up with. 

App beta: Fingerprint login is here for Android and iOS

Yes it's here! Great news from @ianmorland and our Apps team. We have released updates to our Android & iOS apps, but with the much requested feature - login with fingerprint/Touch ID. Ian and the team would love you have a try and give your thoughts & feedback, before the full roll out to the members.

Remember, your feedback is really helpful to the team so please head over here and let us know how you found this new addition.

Coming soon - the "Caption This" challenges

As our recent Run By You challenges were such a great hit with everyone, @the_islander will be bringing us all another one hooray Smiley Very Happy.

"Time to put your smart wit and clever quips to good use and make us all chuckle. All you need to do is post a Caption for the challenge images posted. It's as simple as that!"

So let's all get involved see what funny captions we can come up with Smiley Wink.

MGM activation test - 06/09/17 to 20/09/17

Some interesting news on the Member gets Member referral programme from @chris_j_b:

"As part of our continual development of the MGM (Member Get Member) referral programme, we are looking into new ways to enable our members to recruit their friends. One area we want to test is the friend referral box at the end of the activation journey."

You can find Chris' post here with all the details of whats going to be happening.

Blog Highlights
by jammydodge

Use cash to shop online with Amazon

Amazon just launched a new service called Amazon Top Up allowing you to use cash when you purchase items on Amazon. Expanding the gift card balance to a general top-up balance means you no longer have to use your credit/debit card when you shop at Amazon. Check out @carlryds' comprehensive blog to learn more about how it works.

Take me there

Trendy bag-style cases perfect for festivals and parties

Trying to be trendy but not carry a big bag around? Well, @shadylady has some solutions. In her latest blog, she looks at 5 case style bags which would be perfect for festivals. Head over to the blog to find out more

Check it out

oBike: London’s Boris Bike Competitor

You must be wondering how could anything be of competition to the 'Boris' Bike. Well with the oBike it certainly looks like this is the case. Being dockless and operated through the mobile app, this latest take on the bike sharing platform seriously stands out. @jeff_elephant explains why this is the case in this in-depth look at how oBike works. Dive in now to discover all about it.

Read more

How to get better WiFi signal
by toxiic

Everyone one wants a good WiFi connection in, around and near their house. It allows for access to the world of the internet. Despite this, placement of your router can impact the signal and speed that you get. So here are 4 quick  tips to help you get the best for the price you pay for WiFi...

1. Place your router centrally in the building, so it can transmit signals centrally than from one corner.
  2. Keep it out of the way from brick walls, plaster, or objects. These make it harder for the signal to past through to the device, so cannot achieve a strong signal.
  3. Place it near the ceiling. This helps reduce the amount of obstructions near it. Just make sure you can reach it when needed!
  4. If you have a router from a provider, consider using your own for a more reliable signal than standard.

To see 5 more WiFi tips, click here.

To see my other content, click here.

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

susanaf.jpg

Hiya and welcome to our new in-Life Performance Manager Susana @susanaf!

Susana popped in to say hello and give us an insight to herself and role. You can find the thread here and welcome our new LPM in our usually lovely style. The dancing is not for me Susana but anything that involves food and travelling Smiley Wink.

3.png

"Hey Everyone, I'm a newbie... Kinda"

Welcome back @cruxer Heart. Our recent new member had been on giffgaff a while ago but has found the way back, hooray! Yes, lots has changed, but not our fab members so let's give our returning member a warm welcome back to the fold. Here is the link to add your love and hugs.

3.png

Welcome to giffgaff to our new member @sexystoner1991!

Our new member took the time to leave us this lovely comment: "I really love giffgaff it's a good network thanks guys". Well, we are really happy you joined us Heart and looking forward to meeting you here on the community. Let's give our new member a big hello and a welcome to giffgaff, click here.

Photo of the week
by premierphotosuk

IMG_1242.PNG

This week's photo of the week it deserves to go to @snowman1888 for Butterfly on Echinacea.  He also states "They love these.." Equipment used: Fuji X-Pro1.

So for this week, I decided it with great interaction this photo also got from the community, and it was not only just for receiving kudos.

After reading through his thread, the members all seem to enjoy his photo Smiley WinkSo this photo deserves to be featured in this week's gaff. He has also added many photos in the past on photography. Here is the link to his thread Butterfly on Echinacea.. Well done snowman1888 Smiley Happy.

Snownan1888.jpgButterfly on Echinacea by snowman1888

Interested in sharing a photo you've taken? Have a look at the thread linked below. While you're there, you can see all the previously featured photos. You never know, your photo could join the list!

Find out more

Featured App
by revilo10

App: Tabs & Chords by Ultimate Guitar - Learn and play
Developer: Ultimate Guitar
Price: £2.99

Learning music theory can be hard, and it can be even harder to learn it alongside learning your instrument. This app by Ultimate Guitar is just what you need to get starting to learning both things, in one! The app teaches you basic chords for guitar and ukulele, without the need for music theory. You can learn the chords, lyrics and tabs to your favourite songs, again, with little to no music theory involved. Along with the app, I would recommend you hire a real music teacher who will support you in learning further techniques in music.

Thanks for reading

If you would like to receive a weekly PM when a new edition of the gaff is posted, joining 200 other people currently on the mailing list, then click here.

Previous Edition | Next Edition (8th September 2017)

Message 1 of 36
by: premierphotosuk
on: 01/09/2017 | 18:00

coollogo_com-17057223.png  "It's that time again to catch - up with all the latest news and gossip from around giffgaff" coollogo_com-209512080.png by members for members,

150532657773152.jpg

Hey, gaffers I have to mention this and Karen's partner to Kevin aka creakynees has given me her blessing for me to post this message. It is with the saddest of hearts to have to bring you this sad news in this weeks edition of The gaff.

One of our fellow gaffers sadly passed away within the last week of August, many of you may have known him as Kevin aka @creakynees 

Kevin was a thoughtful, pleasant - respectful, helpful member of the giffgaff community and was always happy to lend a hand.Smiley Happy

But over the last few weeks Kevin was in bad health and now has sadly passed.Smiley Sad

Kevin and Karen where together for 26 years, and was planning one day to get married but sadly this will now not be the case.

I would like to share and on behalf of the The gaff team and the giffgaff community members this message to you Karen aka @stressymess 

Kevin will be greatly missed - but he will live on in yours and our memory. Our heart goes out to you and your family and his friends, we all at giffgaff will be thinking of you Karen in these very sad times. 

Where very sorry-for your loss. from all the giffgaff community.

Karen I hope you can take some comfort in knowing all of us on the giffgaff community are here for you god bless.  Heart  R.I.P. Kevin aka creakynees Heart  

source.gif

coollogo_com-5650282.gif Smiley Wink

On now in the photography board. Join in here Let's see and share some of your favourite animals. August challenge.

Message 2 of 36
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 01/09/2017 | 18:03 edited: 01/09/2017 | 18:09

Cheers for another great edition from

@willp789 and the gaff team , it's a pleasure  to be able to add my contribution .

And then I can sit back and read the full edition and all the top news from around the community 

Also I pass on our thoughts and condolences to karen @stressymess at this sad moment 

R.I.P Kevin 

Message 3 of 36
by: gsklb04
on: 01/09/2017 | 18:17 edited: 01/09/2017 | 18:18

@willp789 Another great gaff sorry I have not had the chance to read through it all yet so will get back to you. 

@premierphotosuk

What can I say that you have not covered except my thoughts are with at this very sad time in your life. @stressymess please stay strong we are always here if you need anything just ask. 

R.I.P @creakynees your fun for life will be missed by us all. 

https://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gsklb04
Message 4 of 36
by: chand311
on: 01/09/2017 | 18:21

Thanks @willp789 for updating all this. 

Message 5 of 36
by: the_islander
on: 01/09/2017 | 18:25
Thanks so much for the great edition @willp789 & team. You guys always manage to find the threads I miss.

And a big thank you for including the Run By You:Caption This. It's now up and running so here's the link for all those interested:
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/General-Discussion/Run-By-You-Caption-This/m-p/20793963#M3639399

And as shared in Karen's thread I'm truly sad to hear about Kevin & my thoughts are with his family, friends and loved ones and especially Karen.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 36
by: a1ant
on: 01/09/2017 | 18:43

Thanks to everyone involved in producing The gaff, yet again a great read and very informative. Smiley Happy

Great work the gaff team. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

a1ant Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 36
by: as7861
on: 01/09/2017 | 20:05
Hi @willp789 and team,

it is a pleasure to read the gaff week in week out. Very exiting news coming from giffgaff.

Lovely and wonderful world of the gaff Smiley Happy
- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 36