The-gaff-banner-2018-v2.png

The gaff banner by: brulaw

"Just like the weather, this week's gaff is a scorcher" - finlaybj

20th July 2018/Issue #275

Add The gaff to your calendar!

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

June 2018 Payback Calculations update

Just a quick update, as you may or may not know giffgaff had a problem downloading the file for basic payback from lithium and then the temporary fix wasn't suitable for giffgaff's needs, so the calculations have been put on hold. @alex_w has now confirmed that the spanners appear to have been cleared: "We're now downloading the file needed for Basic Payback. it appears the bug is now fixed and we've started downloading the final file we need to run the calculations. Hopefully Monday for the statements, which would mean points on the website tomorrow (Friday)." Smiley Happy

If you wish, you can opt-in to receive a points statement by email. These are sent out around the 5th working day of each month and give you details of points awarded for the previous month and your total points. To opt-in, go to: My giffgaff > My Details > Contact permissions > Change. Tick in the box 'Give me info and offers about giffgaff' and then click 'Change'. You should be able to see your payback here if it has been updated. You can also check any activations here.

Sporting summer - Get involved

As both football and tennis season is on at the moment, @shaina_k and the team thought of introducing some new templates on giffgaff studio for us to have some fun. Do check out our new Wimbledon special templates. Share your pictures, stories and messages from your sporting adventures on giffgaff studio.

NEW: giffgaff Music Fans Thread

@ceecee2110 brings us the great community piece Smiley Happy. The whole idea around this thread is for fellow giffgaffers to share their favourite songs with other gaffers and whether it be pop, rock, classic garage related it will all be shared in one place.

1. Wherever possible please try to keep everything in one post.
  2. Please try to limit @mentions to members who have replied to your post. Single mentions are personal while mentioning a group can feel exclusionary. Please note that you will receive a notification of each post if you subscribe to the thread. Simply click or press on the 3 dots at the top right of the page & select "subscribe".
  3. If possible please post small pictures only as this will assist members to view the posts on this thread without having to scroll loads on a mobile device.

So what are you waiting for? Head over and join the music mayhem here.

Blog Highlights
by jammydodge

10 Years Of The iOS App Store

You'll never believe it but the App Store is 10 years old. Crazy right! That's 10 years of supplying iPhones, iPods and iPads with millions of apps. Join @jeff_elephant as he takes a fact-filled look back at the life of the App Store. Check it out now.

What Is A Blockchain Phone? - The HTC Exodus Explained

New phones appear on the market all the time. Some boasting impressive features, others just offering a new design. But not many are so specific as the new HTC Exodus. Named the 'blockchain phone', HTC's lastest endeavour offers a raft of blockchain features, most prominently a cryptocurrency wallet. Pop over to the blog and learn all about it in @zerodudex333's latest blog.

How to breathe new life into an old Android smartphone

Tech is frustrating especially when it comes to phones. Fresh out of the box they are incredibly whizzy and wonderful but after several months and a few years, as you install more and more apps and charge it over and over again, they decline in response speeds and functionality. This can be very frustrating especially if you're not prepared to shell out the cash on a brand new phone. Thankfully these effects on Android smartphones are reversible as @wsjudd explains in his comprehensive guide. Why not pop over to the blog now and give it a read.

Inspirational Quotes
by toxiic

In this week’s gaff, I thought I’d share some inspirational quotes that will hopefully keep your motivation levels up or generally just help you have a more positive outlook on life. So, here they are.

“If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door” – Milton Berle.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today” – H.Jackson Brown, Jr

“Be strong because things will get better. It may be stormy now but it never rains forever” – My Dear Valentine.

“Practice like you have never won, perform like you have never lost” - *see credit*.

“Don’t look back - you’re not going that way” – Mary Engelbreit.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough” – Mae West.

“Keep your face towards the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you” – Walt Whitman.

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started” – Mark Twain.

“Believe you can and you’re halfway there” – Theodore Roosevelt.

“Work for a cause, not for applause, live life to express, not to impress” - *see credit*.

Note: I have tried to track down the original creators of these quotes but there are some discrepancies at times, apologies for that. However, below are the websites I got the quotes from. I hope you enjoyed this little article, if you’d like to view my other content, you can do so here.

Click to reveal

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

1532101076837.png

Say hello to @nafis40 and spread the love here.

1532101082566.png

Welcome our newbie @yuvidevji right here.

1532101093467.png

Pop over and say hello to @robb007 right here.

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

This week's featured photo is Buddleia'd Peacock by @markulous. Some of the comments were: "Gorgeous" (thesepticpheasant), "I love the colours - so vibrant" (untz), "Nice photo" (4128334), "What a beautiful looking butterfly" (the_bookie), "Wow, what a great pic you have taken" (bobrobinson), "An amazing photograph" (frencielove).

Click here to see the original post. Another week and another featured photo, thank you to everyone for sharing your images, it doesn't get any easier choosing one out of all the excellent pictures you all share with the community.

Buddleia'd Peacock.jpg

Tech Developments
by revilo10

GDPR - Too Far?

You may remember the EU’s GDPR regulation that was recently brought into force to give you more rights over how your data is used. Well, a recent incident with British Airways has sparked large discussion as to whether all cases are treated equally.

British Airways has been requesting that users post personal information publicly on Twitter, in order to ‘comply with GDPR’.

Be warned, this is dangerous and can leave you vulnerable to a whole host of consequences. NEVER post information about yourself publicly online, unless it is absolutely necessary to do so. People in the past have been victim to identity fraud and such issues. Stay vigilant and be careful.

Thanks for reading

Previous Edition | Next Edition (27th July 2018)

Message 1 of 27
by: the_islander
on: 20/07/2018 | 18:11
Fantastic issue as always, can't believe how much I've missed despite being on here a lot this week. A big thanks to the whole The gaff team.

Very pleased to see the payback calculations are now done and our points have been awarded 👍 top job Alex and team.

@ceecee2110 's thread looks like great fun, cheers for sharing as I would have definitely missed that one.

And I could certainly benefit from @wsjudd 's tips on making my phone as good as new again.

What an absolutely amazing photo from @markulous Truly stunning. Great choice @brulaw 👍👍
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 27
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 20/07/2018 | 18:25

20180720_181840.gif

Well done for another great edition 

And the photo of the butterfly from @markulous

and @finlaybj 

To everyone on the gaff cheers

Yvonne 

Message 4 of 27
by: lpwilliams
on: 20/07/2018 | 20:19

Thanks for the gaff.  I got my payback updated today too.  Double bonus, a new gaff to read and payback updated.  

Message 5 of 27
by: timwilliams25
on: 20/07/2018 | 20:23

Interesting reading about GDPR and BA.  In work with us, we no longer allowed to sign in.  We must tick in!

Thought the gaff had been a victim of GDPR this week, clicked on the stickered link but this is still last weeks gaff.  Thought it was stuff I already knew about!

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 6 of 27
by: finlaybj
on: 20/07/2018 | 20:23
Another excellent weekly edition, thanks to everyone involved, great work.
Message 7 of 27
by: davidevans0000
on: 20/07/2018 | 20:55
well done again a great read of this weeks the gaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 27
by: allan1954
on: 20/07/2018 | 21:06
@brulaw and all the team an awesome read of the gaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 27
by: blue1212
on: 20/07/2018 | 22:09

@willp789

Thanks for bring the gaff to the community 

It's a terrific Edition

I'm looking forward to @ceecee2110 music thread 👌👌👌👌

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 27