The gaff - 22nd June 2018

Started by: willp789
On: 22/06/2018 | 18:00
Replies: 28

by: willp789
on: 22/06/2018 | 18:00

The-gaff-banner-2018-v2.png

The gaff banner by: brulaw

"It's always so reassuring to have The gaff to catch up on big news and great announcements that I tend to miss" - the_islander
22nd June 2018/Issue #271

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

[New updates posted] Helper's Dashboard - prototype release

Some of you might have heard of the Helper's Dashboard but the time has come to properly share the details and invite all the helpers to try our beta version. We all know that help is done differently here, we rely on our members to help other members because we believe they can do a lot better than a call centre. We want to take this to the next level and although we are focusing on the 'asking for help' experience I believe we cannot go to that next step without improving the 'providing help' experience as well. Check out the Helper's Dashboard here. You can find more news on this great new asset here.

Update: Knowledge Base article suggestion (has become a reality)

Thanks to the enthusiasm, support and efforts of @antonlg and a small group of members, this idea (in the spoiler tag here) has become a reality and now not only do we have a new KB article, a dedicated email address has also been created for representatives of the bereaved to use when contacting giffgaff.

Better data experience when roaming

Cast your memories back to June last year when “Roam Like At Home” went live and you could use your phone to your heart's content in Europe and selected countries. Some of you eagled eyed members might have noticed a difference in your data experience whilst you were soaking up the sun on your most recent holidays. Things are going to get even better as O2 started rolling out 4G in countries around the world and will continue doing so through the year. A lot of countries that have already been switched on for 4G with at least one provider in the country having a 4G agreement with O2. @dapiet's thread is here and you can welcome Pieter from the Operations team to the community at the same time.

Volunteers needed for Run By You challenges

@aggy_agate is looking for some volunteers Smiley Happy. If you're up for it, just post your challenge on GD and send Aggy the link, she'll add our lovely Run By You stamp on it. Also feel free to discuss any ideas on this thread.

Blog Highlights
by jammydodge

Best cheap smartphone deals from the giffgaff marketplace

Fancy buying or selling a used phone? Have you heard of giffgaff Marketplace? Why not check out this article by @wsjudd on what it is and how you can get in on five of the best deals available right now.

YouTube Premium is finally available in the UK

Heard of YouTube Red? The subscription-based music and video service unveiled in the US back in 2015. Well, in May it was finally made available to us in the UK. Check out what it’s all about under its new name YouTube Premium, and how it will challenge its competitors. Pop over to the blog now and give @shadylady’s blog a read.

How in-screen fingerprint sensors work - An in-depth look

Fingerprint sensors have existed for a while now but a new feature may have caught your eye in the Vivo X21. An in-screen fingerprint sensor. In his comprehensive blog, @zerodudex333 looks at how it works and what it means for the future of smartphones. Head over and read it.

Quickfire Studying Tips
by toxiic

Hi guys. In this week’s gaff I’ll be going through some quickfire studying tips to help improve grades! In the gaff after the next, I’ll be continuing my topic on NFC Tags.

Tip 1: Find a good place

Finding a suitable place to revise is essential to improving the efficiency of revision. It's recommended that you sit at a desk during this revision, but if that’s not possible you can always use your surroundings to find a suitable place to sit- as long as you can sit there for prolonged periods then it’s alright!

Tip 2: Timing

Timing revision is also very important. What’s weird is that someone can spend 4 hours revising non-stop yet someone who takes an intensive approach and puts their focus on revising can get the same amount of revision done much more quickly and efficiently. A general rule of thumb is the 25 minutes on, 5 minutes off (times 2) or the 50 minutes on and 10 off. So, if you like more frequent breaks and want to spend the least time continuously revising, then it’s best to choose 25 minutes doing revision then a 5 minute break and do that twice. Else, you may choose to spend 50 minutes revising and 10 minutes for a break.

Tip 3: Regularity

When so much in the world is happening, it's difficult to remember information over time. Which is why it’s best to just check over what you did over the last couple of days, as studies have shown that doing this regularly helps to remember information – which is perfect in an exam as you don’t need to think as hard to remember something!

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

giffgaffAyIlm.png

Say hello to @platt27 over here.

giffgaffpc84R.png

Find our newbie @mja88 right here.

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

This week's featured photos are tighty-whiteys by @markulous and Bark by @pusser. Both of these photos capture everything needed to make a memorable image. Content, composition and an eye for a great picture. On this occasion, I couldn't make a decision between these two photos, so I've included both!

@markulous says: "So many pics I could put up but I'll start with our two 'tighty-whiteys' who'll play all day, given the chance, despite Luka (on left) being 12 years old (going on 12 months!) and SkyeSkye who's half his size is now 6." @pusser says: "It's amazing what someone can do with a few bits of bark 🦖."

Click here to see tighty-whiteys and click here to see Bark at their full size in the Photography forum.

tight-whiteys and bark.jpg

Tech Developments
by revilo10

Power to your Air

Last September Apple announced the AirPower, it's wireless charging dock for Apple devices, most notably the iPhone.

At the time, Apple promised that we would see a release in 2018, and many rumoured that around Apple's March conferences, the AirPower would be announced and shipping dates would be put in place. But nothing came of the conferences, at least from a wireless charging point of view. This delay in announcement has sparked outrage among the Apple community. However, the pressure is building.

An AirPower alternative that was launched on Indiegogo raised over $500,000 worth of support from crowdfunders, and is currently in production for release. And so the pressure on Apple to put something together to meet this competitor is mounting, and fast.

Rumours are currently saying that during the Autumn conferences that the AirPower will be announced. But we shall see - If Apple does launch the AirPower, will you be buying one?

Thanks for reading

Previous Edition | Next Edition (29th June 2018)

Message 1 of 29
by: brulaw
on: 22/06/2018 | 18:04 edited: 22/06/2018 | 18:06

The gaff 22nd June 2018.png

big-grin.gif Happy reading  everyone thumbup.gif

@willp789   .... Thanks for finding room for two featured photos this week ..... Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 29
by: the_islander
on: 22/06/2018 | 18:41

@willp789 and the whole gaff team, thank you as always for a wonderful read. You always find threads I've missed despite me being on here 24/7 these days.

61U7LV10kEL._SY450_.jpg

And a huge well done to not one but two featured photos of the week. Great shoots indeed. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 29
by: davidevans0000
on: 22/06/2018 | 19:01
@brulaw and all the team well done again on this weeks the gaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 29
by: blue1212
on: 22/06/2018 | 20:04

@willp789   and the gaff team

Thanks for another fantastic edition full of news 👏👏👏

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 29
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 22/06/2018 | 20:13

2018-06-22-13-32-27.jpg

@willp789 and @brulaw and everyone who has contributed👏

Always well worth reading and full of great information 

Thanks

Yvonne 

Message 6 of 29
by: isabel1066
on: 22/06/2018 | 20:13
thank you for the gaff always a great read.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 29
by: tids
on: 22/06/2018 | 20:18

@willp789

And the gaff editors

Well done again a wonderful edition👍

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 29
by: alex920
on: 22/06/2018 | 20:30

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this edition of the gaff

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍🙌🙌🙌🙌

Message 9 of 29
by: a1ant
on: 22/06/2018 | 20:31

Hi all and thank you so much to The gaff team:

@willp789@bluemoonbaz@jammydodge@toxiic@kathleen414@brulaw and @revilo10.

As always you guys and girls bring us a great edition of The gaff every single week, The gaff is full of great info and tips. Smiley Happy

A very warm welcome to our new giffgaff members:  @platt27 and @mja88, I hope you are enjoying being on this great network. Smiley Happy

Congratulations @markulous and @pusser for this weeks photos of the week, I can see why @brulaw couldn't make a decision between the two photos and why he as put them both in this week and that is because they are both great photos, good call @brulawSmiley Happy

Here is hoping everyone has a great weekend. Smiley Happy

Take care everyone. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

a1ant Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 29