The gaff - 26th October 2018

Started by: willp789
On: 26/10/2018 | 18:00
Replies: 41

by: willp789
on: 26/10/2018 | 18:00 edited: 28/10/2018 | 12:05

The-gaff-banner-2018-v2.png

The gaff banner by: brulaw

"This week's gaff is a super way to find out what's happening in the community" - alex920

26th October 2018/Issue #289

Add The gaff to your calendar!

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

New WFH educator: Sandy

Please give our new WFH educator Sandy @scousema a big welcome to the community in her new role, as a community regular she won't need to find her way around Smiley LOL, head over here.

Rrrrrrr-ghghghghgh! (Wookie for farewell)

Sad news for us, member Juan is leaving us Smiley Sad after 2 years on the good ship giffgaff. He is returning to Spain, his last day will be this Thursday, but he will still be around for a couple of days for any of you who still want to reach out before he goes. You can find Juan's goodbye post here.

Facebook Marketplace Tips
by toxiic

Hello everyone, in this gaff I’m going to be listing some tips about Facebook Marketplace to advise how to keep safe whilst making the most money from selling. If you don’t know what it is, Facebook Marketplace is an online selling site where you list the items you want to sell or find the items you want to buy then arrange a transaction with the seller/buyer – all on Facebook. So, let’s get into it.

1. When you’re selling high-value items and the buyer wants to pay online, it’s best to use PayPal Goods And Services rather than Bank Transfers or Cheques. Though there is a small charge from PayPal, there is more protection for purchases with PayPal as you can make a claim if you don’t receive what was agreed on. If you paid via bank transfer, and you transferred your money to someone else then didn’t receive the product, it will be difficult to get your money back as the money may have already been cashed out from the bank account you paid into. Just remember to use recorded delivery and take evidence (screenshots) of the agreement on Facebook, though.

2. Have more options for the seller. Keeping your items exclusively to cash on collection can limit the buyers you attract - sometimes it’s better to offer delivery of items. This doesn’t have to be you delivering it in person, though, as you could pay a courier like Royal Mail to deliver it for you so you don’t have to travel as far then, instead of cash, you could get the buyer to pay through PayPal (then include the delivery cost in the price). That way, you’re not limited to only buyers that can travel to you.

Resources

More on Goods and Services

How to calculate PayPal fees

These tips link in with a thread I made a while ago, which you can find here. Alternatively, if you’d like to view my other content, you can find it here.

Tech Developments
by revilo10

iPhone SE: Old but new?

With all the rush and hype of new, larger and more expensive phones coming out over the last few months, it's easy to forget that older phones ever even existed (Is the SE really that old?). Now, I've done loads of phone reviews, but never a review on a phone I've owned for a long period of time. So here we go.

I've had the pleasure of being able to use an iPhone SE as my daily runabout for the last year or so, and before you call me uncultured or out of date, hear me out. I first bought it (From the giffgaff store, where else?), looking for a phone that could give me the performance of some of these new phones, but at a cheaper price (Yeah... I'm still a student). Luckily for me, the iPhone SE (Special Edition) is roughly equal in specs to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 (Or even better in some areas).

Let's dive into a few smalls details (We'll compare the standard SE and the standard 6). The SE has a 4 inch screen, whilst the 6 has a 4.7 inch, but looking even deeper. The SE has a 12 megapixel camera, compared to the 6's 8 megapixels, and the SE also has 2GB of RAM, whilst the 6 has 1.

But how is it to actually use? As I stated, I've had mine for over a year (Keep in mind I've had the battery replaced once, due to the whole battery warranty issue thing last year) and it's served me well. One year in I don't really feel the need to buy another one, the screen has never been cracked (To be fair, I'm very careful with my phones), and even the battery I had before my replacement was pretty decent and lasted for days on end. I stream endless amounts of music, video, audiobooks, news and I write essays on the thing, and it's not failed me once. All of this, in a device that you can pick up for around £200 these days. I'm not saying that buying all the latest phones is a bad thing, I'm just saying that we shouldn't forget the old(ish) dogs.

Side note: If you haven't heard, juan_p is sadly leaving the giffgaff team. I'd like to take this space to thank him for everything that he's done for me, the community and everyone in it. Hope everything goes well Juan, thank you for everything Heart.

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

1540567655132.png

Welcome our new member @faridjr right here.

1540567664867.png

Say hello to @simonapitt over here.

1540567669871.png

Please say hello to our new community friend @rum2013 over here.

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

This week's featured photo is Good morning by @beautifulflowers. Some of the comments received included: "Beautiful colours, autumn is my most favourite time of the year" (frenchielove), "Lovely autumnal scenes! Love walking through the leaves" (jeanlk), "Some nice autumn colour there" (illneverrememberit), "Hmm, go left or maybe right, decisions decisions, you can't knock autumn though for its colours" (themrbarso), "Morning walks are so good and healthy" (usamakhokar).

Click here to see the original post. As always, brilliant pictures from all you giffsnappers. Winter's on its way so plenty of chances for grabbing even more stunning shots.

Good morning.jpg

Thanks for reading

Previous Edition | Next Edition (2nd November 2018)

Message 1 of 42
by: brulaw
on: 26/10/2018 | 18:04 edited: 26/10/2018 | 18:06

The gaff Friday 26th October.png

big-grin.gif Happy reading  & giffgaffing  everyone thumbup.gif

Message 2 of 42
Highlighted
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 26/10/2018 | 18:07

20181026_130829.jpgMany thanks

Team Giffgaff for this week's gaff👏

Good information from @toxic 

And well done to @beautifulflowers for the lovely photo👍and

@brulaw

@willp789 

And to everyone else have a great weekend

Cheers 

Yvonne 

Message 3 of 42
by: blue1212
on: 26/10/2018 | 18:13

@willp789

Thanks for bringing the gaff to the community 

It's a brilliant read 👍👍

Well done to everyone 😁

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 42
by: allan1954
on: 26/10/2018 | 18:32
@brulaw bruce and all the team well done again for the gaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 42
by: smiler48
on: 26/10/2018 | 18:59

@willp789  and all the Gaff team.  A big thumbs up for another information packed edition telling us all that's going on in the community.  Keep up the great work 👍👍👍

Message 6 of 42
by: cloughey
on: 26/10/2018 | 19:18
Brilliant read as always, thanks everyone.
Message 7 of 42
by: weelesleymc
on: 26/10/2018 | 19:53

always nice to read the gaff on a friday

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 42
by: tids
on: 26/10/2018 | 20:21
Thanks for this week's gaff it's packed full of info again

Well done to all the editors 😆😆😆
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 42
by: a1antman
on: 26/10/2018 | 20:25

Hi and a very big thank you to all involved in bring us this weeks edition of The gaff. Smiley Happy

@willp789@bluemoonbaz@toxiic@revilo10@kathleen414 and @brulaw.

As always The gaff is a very interesting and very interesting read, thank you again everyone. Smiley Happy

Thank you @toxiic for your piece on Facebook Market Place, a great and informative piece. Smiley Happy

Thank you @revilo10 for your piece on the iPhone SE. Smiley Happy

A very warm welcome to our new giffgaff members: @faridjr@simonapitt and @rum2013, I hope you are enjoying this great network and our fab comunity. Smiley Happy

Congratulations to @beautifulflowers for this weeks photo of the week, what a lovely photo. Smiley Happy

Sorry to point out the typo, but the next edition of The gaff is the is on the (2nd of November) not the 2nd of October. Smiley Happy

I wish you all a peaceful weekend everyone. Smiley Happy

P.S. Just a reminder that the clocks go back one hour on Sunday, which means an extra hour in bed. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

a1antman Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 42