The gaff - 28th December 2018

Started by: mitchell98
On: 28/12/2018 | 17:59
Replies: 33

by: mitchell98
on: 28/12/2018 | 17:59 edited: 28/12/2018 | 18:52

The-gaff-banner-2018-xmas.png

The gaff banner by: brulaw

Happy New Year to you all - we hope you have had a very Merry Christmas, let's go into 2019 with a heart full of hope and excitement - The gaff team

28th December 2018/Issue #298

Add The gaff to your calendar!

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

New Community Platform

In 2019 giffgaff will be migrating our community from the current Lithium-powered platform to a new platform provided by Vanilla. And so giffgaff have opened a temporary forum to use for discussions related to the new platform during development and initial testing. Please head over and make your points heard and discuss what's happening in advance of our new platform roll out. You can find the temporary forum by clicking here.

Ongoing Community Platform Issues

As many of you have noticed using the giffgaff site has been a real struggle over the last week and the members have been discussing these problems here.

giffstaffer  paul_d_ has brought us an update and an apology for the inconvenience this has caused, the Platform Team & Community Team are working hard to get this resolved as quickly as possible. You can read the update here and hopefully we will be all back up to full speed very soon Smiley Happy

Refer a friend - Last Chance to Enter!

Don't miss out on this fantastic competition, automatic entry is applicable for any new activation by your friends or family if they activate an eligible SIM from you.

You can also enter for free up to 15 times by clicking here.

Hot Deals & Tips

If you're looking for hot deals/bargains and tips then this is for you! Your fellow members are finding and sharing these deals and tips every day. See what's hot now and if you have some to share even better!

Lab Highlights
by as7861 & ijustcantdoit

Knowledge base article for Labs updated

For the new year, there is an updated article here for the labs, staffers and fellow members have edited, given their feedback to ensure the article is as useful as it can be. So, what is contained in the article?  

• The advantages of submitting an idea
  • Searching for your idea
  • Voting for an idea
  • Step by Step guide to submitting an idea
  • What happens after the Labs Team has reviewed an idea?
  • Finally wondered how to report that comment or idea that looks odd, then the article has the part that explains this.

Showcase of ideas within Labs

1. Ability to disable data on pay as you go credit by @pxwell

The idea states: When a goodybag data allowance has used up, I do not want the continued use of data to use up all the available credit on the account. I want to protect that credit so it can be used for continued calls, texts, MMS messages etc. This would avoid any unnecessary expense to GiffGaff members. We do have the option to disable data in out settings but the member's idea is to stop using the balance credit when data expires, is the option for giffgaff to look at bringing to the members. What are your thoughts on this idea?

2. giffgaff free VPN by @bigda32

The idea states: We all want the peace of mind that our browsing is safe and secure even more so when doing online banking ext if Giffgaff were to release a VPN app for customers to just give us that wee bit of more security I'm sure everyone would agree the more the better I'm forever getting my device hacked and tablet if I use my data or hotspot for browsing. With all the current concerns of hacking and personal information, would this be a change that giffgaff could bring to the members? Concerns would be the costs incurred unless giffgaff hooked up with free VPN, What are your thoughts on this idea?

Tech Developments
by revilo10

Would you trust a mous(e) with your phone?

Please excuse the title on this one, sometimes I really do struggle. But anyway, now that Christmas is over with and you've given and received all of your gifts, you may find yourself with some new tech on your hands, specifically an iPhone. 

You may or may not have seen these ads popping up all over Facebook and Twitter, from a brand called 'MouS', who claim to have created a range of iPhone cases which create a crossover between style and safety. Now this is something most phone cases lack, they are either extremely good looking and slick, but will break on slight impact, or rock-solid but just downright ugly, so a promise to bridge that gap is a big one. Have MouS filled the boots?

I personally have always been very careful with my phones, and I can proudly say I have never even scratched or dented a phone, of the many I have owned. This, however, is not the case for a lot of my peers and many people up and down the country, who find themselves dropping their phones frequently. MouS claims to offer trademarked, new technology which absorbs shocks in the case, and from what I've seen and experienced, the case and phones inside remain unscratched and just as they were before they were dropped. Whilst MouS's extreme way of branding, to me, comes across as some what aggressive and unclear (It's pretty much just expensive phones being thrown about...), their products genuinely do work. Not only that, their cases look pretty dope too. In their Limitless 2.0 range, they have 5 backing styles: carbon fibre, walnut, shells, leather and bamboo, and from what I can tell, and what I've heard, the material used is genuine (Of course, these materials don't make up the entire phone case, I mean imagine a case made entirely from sea shells...). They also have a clear version if you want to retain the look of having an iPhone with no case, but with the protection.

However, I must offer some criticisms, they only offer the cases for users of the iPhone 6 and above, and the Samsung S8 and above. A lot of their branding tends to focus on higher-end phones, which completely misses out on people who may not be willing or able to purchase a newer, more expensive high end phone, such as the iPhone Xs. Also, there's a lot of reviews online, specifically on YouTube, which at first glance may seem neutral and untampered, but turn out to be sponsored by MouS themself (In all fairness a lot of companies do this and it's not uncommon nowadays to see social influencers being paid to review a product). 

In summary, this brand which was started by crowdfunding, may seem overwhelmingly hip, 'millenial' and somewhat intimidating, but in my experience their products live up to the most, if not all of what they claim to be, so I really can't fault them. 

MouS's website: mous.co

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

SH1 0.png

SH2 0.png

SH3 0.png

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

This week's featured photo is Canary Wharf At Night by @sana_j19! Here's some of their comments:  "Wow, there lovely, great photo" (bobrobinson), "Well done, very nice shot" (soundmike), "Smashing photo there" (gvmhb), "These look cool, something a bit different and quite classy" (abiable) and "Lovely atmospheric scene. Well done taking it at night" (jeanlk).

Fancy checking out the shot on the original thread? Click here! Here we are at the end of 2018 , thank you to everyone for sharing  your brilliant images throughout the year, we're looking forward to seeing more from you all in 2019. Thank you again to you all! 

POTW 2.png

On This Day In History
by jammydodge

28/12/2018

On this day in...

1065, Westminster Abbey was consecrated by Edward the Confessor. It has and continues to be the site of many English coronations and prestigious national ceremonies.

1895, the filmmaker Lumière brothers hold the first commercial film screening with the demonstration of their Cinématographe in the Grand Cafe in Paris. Their inventions set the stage for the multi-billion dollar industry we know today.

1972, Kim Il-sung became the first president of North Korea having previously ruled as Supreme Leader since Korea’s division in 1945. He founded the Kim dynasty and personality cult we see today.

Thanks for reading

Brought to you by willp789, mitchell98, bluemoonbaz, as7861, ijustcantdoit, revilo10, kathleen414, brulaw, toxiic and jammydodge.

Previous Edition | Next Edition (4th January 2019)

Message 1 of 34
by: mitchell98
on: 28/12/2018 | 18:00

Hey everyone,

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas, I certainly did! I'm sad to say that this is the last ever edition of the gaff.. for 2018! Moving forward into 2019 will be an exciting time for giffgaff, and especially exciting for 2019 as we aim to bring you more content in the New Year!

Thanks to everyone who has been with us through 2018 and to those who will see us through into the New Year.

We also have some new members which @kathleen414 has given a warm welcome to in her fantastic section.  Say Hello to @mickpost67 here@weecallum10 here and finally @ta_zara here! Welcome to giffgaff!

Whatever you're doing to close out the New Year, I hope you have a lot of fun and have the best possible start to 2019 - here's to the New Year!

Thanks,

Mitchell.

Message 2 of 34
by: sha_shah1
on: 28/12/2018 | 18:03 edited: 28/12/2018 | 18:10
Message 3 of 34
by: brulaw
on: 28/12/2018 | 18:07 edited: 28/12/2018 | 22:26

The gaff Friday 28th December 2018.png

Message 4 of 34
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 28/12/2018 | 18:12

UusiVuosi6.gif

@mitchell98 

And everyone at team Giffgaff who was mentioned👏👏

Great teamwork from everyone and another excellent jam packed edition👏

Looking forward to next year's gaff and

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE🥂

Cheers

Yvonne

Message 5 of 34
by: revilo10
on: 28/12/2018 | 18:54 edited: 28/12/2018 | 19:00

A big thank you to everyone who has read the gaff this year, 2018 has brought a few large changes for us, but week in week out we love producing new content for you amazing gaffers. We look forward to what 2019 will bring! Hope everyone has a wonderful New Years.

Big thanks to everyone else who works on the gaff with me, you guys are amazing @mitchell98 @willp72 @bluemoonbaz @ijustcantdoit @as7861 @toxiic @brulaw @jammydodge @kathleen414

Read the latest edition of the gaff on the Contribute board here!

Feel free to drop me a PM anytime if you ever need anything or want to suggest a Tech Devs topic!
Message 6 of 34
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 28/12/2018 | 18:55 edited: 29/12/2018 | 16:23

Well that's the last one for this year folks 

Thank you from all the team for all your support and comments,  it's much appreciated. 

See you all in 2019 for another gaff.

@mitchell98@brulaw@willp789@bluemoonbaz@as7861@ijustcantdoit@kathleen414@revilo10@toxiic@jammydodge

Happy New year one and all Smiley Happy

giffgafftLofP.png

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 7 of 34
by: isabel1066
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:14
thank you for the gaff its wonderful keep up the good work all involved.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 34
by: giffgaff20147
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:15

@mitchell98

Thanks team and a happy new year to all at. Giffgaff staff and members 

Mary

Message 9 of 34
by: tito6
on: 28/12/2018 | 19:18

Nice work gaff team .weekly news all in one  

Message 10 of 34