on: 05/01/2018 | 18:15

The-gaff-banner-2018-v1.png

the gaff banner by: brulaw

"I believe in me, so you believe in you"
5th January 2018/Issue #247

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

£10 additional Credit offer! Share the love throughout January

The party season may be over, but giffgaff have a little bonus offer to start the year off with a smile. giffgaff are offering an additional £10 bonus credit on top of the usual £5 Payback for every new member you guys bring on board by sharing the giffgaff love (www.giffgaff.com/share) - all throughout January. The offer starts as soon as the clocks strike 12 on the 1st January (00:00) and will run until 23:59 on Wednesday the 31st January. (Please note; this particular offer is not available for Super Recruiter activations). As usual, terms apply and please see the main announcement thread for further details.

Please Note: joining members must activate with a minimum £10 spend, activating a SIM against an existing member account will not qualify for this offer (just like the normal share the love programme and as per the normal terms).

RBY fitgaff 2018: New year New you

Welcome to the first of our Run By You challenges for 2018. If you're not familiar with this yet, our member @claw came up with an idea to run some fun activities last year.

Remember all those New Year resolutions to get fitter and healthier or plans to fit into those summer clothes? I will start on Monday Smiley LOL. Well, if you're like me then you know how quickly these fall from our thoughts as the cold weather or apathy sets in. So we thought we could have a fitness thread for all the members and of course... There's no better way than doing it together.

So, how can you join in with this year's challenge? Just click here.

December 2017 Payback Calculations update

2018 has arrived, and with the New Year comes a new Payback calculation month. @alex_w brings us a great thread that updates us all by calculating community payback. The current status is listed, however depending on how the automation of some parts of the community, we may encounter some spanners. You can keep up to speed right here.

Creative Writing Challenge January 2018 entries

@gsklb04 has another great writing challenge, for you take part in. This month's theme is: A Picture. Everyone is welcome to enter Smiley Happy so why not give it a try? You can enter right here.

Blog Highlights
by jammydodge

This week's must-read tech headlines: New Year's Eve

Hey, Happy New Year to you all. Yes, it’s 2018 at last! If like me, you’ve been out to a few party’s and spent the latter part of last week recovering before NYE, then you’ll have missed out on some vital tech news. But not to worry, @wsjudd is here with his weekly tech headlines to keep you in the loop about what went down in the tech world during the last week of 2017. Go on, read it.

Can You Actually Make Money On Instagram and Twitter?

Everyone knows about making money on YouTube but what about on social media, in particular Instagram and Twitter. In his latest in-depth blog, @zerodudex333 explores whether it is possible to make cash on these two trending social media platforms. Head over and check it out.

Apple acquire Shazam. What does this mean for the competition?

If you have any sort of interest in music then Shazam is your go-to app when you need to identify a tune that takes your fancy but you don’t know what it’s called. In her latest blog, now that Apple have absorbed Shazam into its ever expanding empire, @shadylady takes a comprehensive look at what the impact of this acquisition could have on competition. Pop over and give it a read if you’re interested.

Handy Tips
by toxiic

I’ll be continuing my investigation into whether smart, voice controlled devices like the Amazon Echo are worth it in 2 editions time.

For now, though, here are some general tips that might just help you out:

• Having trouble with your Android phone and need to test faults? Try @bigsmokeorder’s tip of entering the code *#0*# on the keypad. From here, you can access phone tests like: colour testing and vibration as well as a mix of other useful features when fault finding. Check the thread out here.
  • You’re able to get a free TV license at the age of 75 – said @realmara in their thread here@frpc added that you need your national insurance number. So, anyone you know on or over 75 – help them save some moolah.
  • ‘Don’t use detergent scoops with the manufacturer’ – said @giffer23 in his thread here. These often indicate more contents of detergent than you actually need, so you run out quicker and buy more! Cheeky buggers!

Contribute your own tips to upcoming topics here. Or, you can check out my other content here.

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

4.png

Welcome to giffgaff @warrrrrren.

Our new member wants to know what the deal is with our community. How does it work? Well, we can soon help you with that one my friend. Let's give Warren a big hug and a warm welcome. Click here.

jamesdn.gif

Welcome to giffgaff @jamesdn_.

James is new to giffgaff, and after he saw our advert on a bus, he joined up Smiley Happy. He is looking forward to becoming acquainted with the forum.

It's great to see the adverts make a difference James and that you made the switch. Your new community friends will be along just like the bus to welcome you onboard. You can find James here.

5.png

Hiya and welcome @tony9464.

Our new member left us this post: "Thanks For having Me Over Here At The gaff, seems like a really interesting place to be but just wanted to say hi and have a pleasant day".

Thank you Tony, it's lovely to meet you. I am sure you will love the community. Please pop over and say hello to the community's latest member here.

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

Well here we are, this is my first post in The gaff while looking after Photo of the week until the return of @premierphotosuk. I had my reservations about taking on the task, but I really wanted to make sure that this section continues to be a part of The gaff. So, here we are. Just a few of the comments on this beautiful picture were:"very atmospheric, very interesting effect, the misty effect on the rocks". There are so many things that people see in an image and that old saying of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is applicable to photography. The photo of the week for this week is On The Beach by @yvonnearmstrong. Here's to many more striking and beautiful pictures from our talented giffgaff members.

On The Beach.jpgOn The Beach - by yvonnearmstrong

Tech Developments
by revilo10

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season and New Year. I just wanted to give a quick update on what you can expect from Tech Developments in 2018. This year I hope to start a thread in which you can contribute your ideas, suggestions and leave your reviews of the latest tech, so keep an eye out for that!

2018 looks to be a heck of a year for the tech industry. Last year we saw Google announce the Pixel 2, well sources are citing that this year we will see a Pixel 3, a possible commercial rival to Apple's iPhone X. There are also claims that a Pixel 4 will be released, maybe even to mirror Apple's dual release last year of the iPhone 8 and X. We are also expecting to see big things coming from up and coming Asian phone brands.

Other sources at Apple also say this could be the year we finally see a competitor to Amazon and Google's home assistants. As well as the annual announcement of some new Apple products in September/October time. But will they meet expectations? Time will only tell!

Thank you all for a marvellous 2017, and I hope you all have an amazing start to 2018. This year will bring forward more opportunities, and I look forward to sharing them with you all!

Thanks for reading

Previous Edition | Next Edition (12th January 2018)

Message 1 of 33
by: brulaw
on: 05/01/2018 | 18:21 edited: 05/01/2018 | 18:27

gaff day.png

Happy giffgaffing and all the best for 2018 everyone  big-grin.gif    

Message 2 of 33
by: paul_d_
community giff-staffer

on: 05/01/2018 | 18:24

Hi @willp789 (and all the gaff team)

Happy New Year.

Another great edition to start 2018,  thanks for all the hard work that the team put into "the gaff" your dedication & hard work is very much appreciated by all.

Well done & keep up the great work.

Paul.

giffgaff Educator | WFH Team
Message 3 of 33
by: davidevans0000
on: 05/01/2018 | 18:32
well done again to all those involved and the first the gaff for 2018.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 33
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 05/01/2018 | 18:55
@willp789

Another fantastic start to the year for team Giffgaff👍and it's jam packed

And thank you for my photo of druidge bay in Northumberland for photo of the week❤there's some beautiful photos from other members so I feel privileged
Thank you thank you😘
Yvonne
Message 5 of 33
by: anth006
on: 05/01/2018 | 19:09

I love your photo @yvonnearmstrong even though I'm programmed to love this part of the world.

I admire all the people who put the gaff together but the news underwhelms me. I just wish it could be a little more cutting edge.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 33
by: mcilwraith
on: 05/01/2018 | 19:15

great stuff again guys well done

thumbup.gif

Message 7 of 33
by: isabel1066
on: 05/01/2018 | 19:18
thank you for a nice read again in this weeks the gaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 33
by: kath72
on: 05/01/2018 | 20:07
That was a fast week Smiley Surprised

Well done all involved in another great edition ... Thanks
Message 9 of 33
by: a1ant
on: 05/01/2018 | 20:34

Hi @willp789 and The gaff team,

Thank you all so much for yet another great edition of The gaff. Smiley Happy

A very warm welcome to our new members: @warrrrrren@jamesdn_ and @tony9464.

Glad to have you with us and I hope you enjoy this great and friendly network. Smiley Happy

Congratulations to @yvonnearmstrong for this week, it is a great photo. Smiley Happy

Have a great weekend everyone Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

a1ant Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 33