Started by: willp789
On: 09/11/2018 | 18:00
Replies: 27

Highlighted
by: willp789
on: 09/11/2018 | 18:00 edited: 10/11/2018 | 14:15

The-gaff-banner-2018-v2.png

The gaff banner by: brulaw

"This week's gaff is a super way to find out what's happening in the community" - alex920

9th November 2018/Issue #291

Add The gaff to your calendar!

giffgaff Happenings
by bluemoonbaz

Some big news

We start this week's giffgaff happenings with some lovely news, but tinged with a little sadness... @prescilla_g is expecting a little bonnie baby girl and she is due early December. Pres will be on a year of leave, but will most likely return earlier (fingers crossed). Our new to be mum would love any tips for being a new parent, so please feel free to send her any help and guidance. Head over here and see if you can help our Prescilla. My tip is to enjoy every minute, take loads of pictures and if someone offers to help give you a break, take the offer.

OnePlus & giffgaff

@tommy_92 brings us news of a new phone to join the existing ranges available to our members. After launching the OnePlus 5T last week, we will now have the OnePlus 6T available. The OnePlus 6T starts from £529 pay today and there are pay monthly options available, you can let our phones team know what you think of these new phones and your experiences over here.

Payback Charity Nominations - December 2018

Yes, payback is upon us again Smiley Tongue and it's time to put forward our choices for the fantastic giffgaff charity donation. Every six months, members collectively choose two charities. This year's nominations are open until at least noon on Wednesday November 14th, so you've got plenty of time to weigh up your options and nominate a charity. @t_will has posted all the information and how it's all going to work, so head over and check out the terms & conditions here.

Have a think about a cause close to your heart, find a charity where the donation will make the most good, and let us know who it is and why they're important to you. Just hit this button and say your piece.

Nominate a charity

Alexa Brief Mode
by toxiic

Hello everyone, in this week’s gaff I’m going to be letting you know what Brief Mode is on Amazon Alexa, how to turn it on and my use. So, let’s begin.

• What is it? Simply, Brief Mode cuts down the time it takes for Alexa to respond to your commands.
  • How do I enable or disable it? Open the Amazon Alexa app, tap the 3 lines in the top left, tap Settings, Alexa Account, Alexa Voice Responses, then toggle the Brief Mode option so it goes blue(on) or white (off).
  • What is my use? I have an Alexa enabled plug socket which allows me to command Alexa to turn the plug on or off. Usually, after I tell Alexa to turn on/off the socket, it says “Okay” but now it just makes a subtle tune instead. Though a very minor change, it does save a few moments of me making sure that Alexa has done the command correctly without having to wait for a vocal confirmation.

If you’d like to know about "Announce" Mode which allows you to say something to one Alexa and what you said gets announced to all the other Alexas in the house, then click here. Alternatively, if you'd like to view my other content, you can find it here.

Tech Developments
by revilo10

iPad Pro - 2018

For me, November marks the end of the mobile release season. Apple has announced and released their annual phones, and Google has announced it's new additions. So let's take a dive into a quite unexpected release from Apple, announced at their Fall (Autumn...) Conference, the iPad Pro 2018. Why is it so unexpected you may ask? Well, it's very rare for Apple to release 2 of the same models of iPad within one year. Last year we saw the release of the iPad Pro 2017 Edition, and just a year later, along comes another iPad Pro. Let's dive in...

The new iPad Pro comes in two options, an 11 inch screen (Pricing at £769) or a 12.9 inch screen (Pricing at £969). Now let's not forget, the pricing can increase, depending on what options you may choose. The other iPads available are shadowed by this new price range, which seems to be a reflection of the controversial, but strengthening release of Apple's new top line products (The new MacBook and iPhone models, which all price at around £1000).

The storage space runs from 64GB, up to 1TB of storage (My £2000 PC has that!). Both new models come with Apple's A12X 64-bit processor. In terms of the camera, as usual we have a back and front facing camera. The top-range iPad Pro can record in stunning 4K at a maximum of 60 frames-per-second. The Pro also comes with Face ID, as with the newest iPhones.

For a deeper look at the specifications of the new iPad Pro, click here.

Say Hello!
by kathleen414

1541771255070.png

Say hello to @adria19476 over here.

1541771258673.png

Welcome @qu1ff00 right here.

1541771262427.png

Say hi to @icouldbepatrick over here.

Photo Of The Week
by brulaw

potw-banner-brulaw-v1.png

This week's featured photo is My Favourite Photo So Far by @cazaline71. Some of the comments included: "I like this picture, just goes to show you can break the rules" (andyslc), "What a lovely photo" (yvonnearmstrong), "Excellent picture mate" (ian_bradley), "Nice colours and nice light" (illneverrememberit), "Very effective use of lighting creating depth & mood" (jeanlk), "Beautiful photo" (staffygirl2015), "Really love it and I am sure you will do really well in the future" (frenchielove), "You have a keen eye for a good picture" (andyslc), "Lovely autumn colours and a very nicely controlled exposure" (markulous), "Beautiful photo, I like it" (ipanaceia).

Click here to see the original post. The choice doesn't get any easier as the weeks go by, thank you everyone for your excellent pictures, please keep them coming.

My Favourite Photo so far.jpg

Thanks for reading

Previous Edition | Next Edition (16th November 2018)

Message 1 of 28
by: davidevans0000
on: 09/11/2018 | 18:07
cheers @brulaw @willp789 another great read of the gaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 28
by: the_bookie
on: 09/11/2018 | 18:11 edited: 09/11/2018 | 18:13

Excellent job guys and 

gals .

Another brilliant edition

of the gaff which always

is full of great news and 

advice about all the fab 

goings on in this superb

giffgaff community .

Message 4 of 28
by: prescilla_g
community giff-staffer

on: 09/11/2018 | 18:16

D'awww, thanks @willp789! Way to give me that warm, glowy Friday feeling Smiley Happy

Research and insights lady

Leave a legacy over at giffgaff Labs
Message 5 of 28
by: weelesleymc
on: 09/11/2018 | 18:20

for a change i`m actually reading the gaff on a friday

thank you gaff team

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 28
by: yvonnearmstrong
on: 09/11/2018 | 18:21

20181108_223335.jpg

Thank you again for great team work👏

Cheers

Yvonne 

Message 7 of 28
by: pete2009
on: 09/11/2018 | 18:34

Thanks for the latest edition and good luck to Prescilla. I wish you well and hope everything goes fine.

Cheers

Message 8 of 28
by: allan1954
on: 09/11/2018 | 18:48
thanks again for the gaff as always a great read.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 28
by: alex920
on: 09/11/2018 | 20:53

@willp789 and the gaff team

Another great edition this week again and thanks for the mention in the gaff 👍

Well done 👍👍👍

Message 10 of 28