Knowledge Base
Community

The gaff - time for a rethink?

Started by: alanjury
On: 23/10/2018 | 10:29
Replies: 50

by: davidevans0000
on: 23/10/2018 | 16:55 edited: 23/10/2018 | 18:15

@natty_noo i agree you can see by the ops 3rd reply that if you dont agree with him even he has 3 replies in the gaff 19 October and got 8 kudos.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 11 of 51
by: natty_noo
on: 23/10/2018 | 17:43
I think some members might be afraid to voice their opinion on this for fear of getting jumped on by the gg mafia Smiley Wink

Personally, if the gaff is relevant to certain sections of the community then surely all it needs is to be read? Meaning it just needs a locked thread, that would also stop the kudos giving (except to the op, of course)

This also goes for certain threads in Announcements, some of them are rife with backslapping kudos giving, for such gems as, "thanks for the update", wow, that little beauty can get get your kudos into double figures! Smiley Wink
Message 12 of 51
by: revjonty
on: 23/10/2018 | 18:44

@suppers_ready wrote:

@

The Gaff has always been a thread where those that don't live on here can see what's been going on in the community quickly and easily without having to trawl through pages of threads, so it should reflect content from elsewhere on the community, that's kind of the point. As to the actual content, that'll always be subjective and more seem to like it than not.

How do you figure that out?

I would say, judging by the fact that the vast majority of the active userbase don't ever post a comment, most either arn't interested, or don't know about it. 

Given that by far the most active bourd on the community (not including help) is GD, then logically if it is to serve the purpose you set out, GD is where it should be, it certainly doesn't fit the raison d etre set out at the top of contribute. Just cos something has always been in Contribute isn't really a good reason for it to remain in Contribute.

"We've always done it this way" isn't a very progressive argument, infact doesn't it actually go against giffgaff's core values?

Sticky it in GD and lock the thread I say. Then it will get more exposure, and the pointless kudo swapping is eliminated. People will still be able to show appreciation for the gaff with kudo. 

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 51
by: kath72
on: 23/10/2018 | 21:39

@natty_noo wrote:

I think some members might be afraid to voice their opinion on this for fear of getting jumped on by the gg mafia Smiley Wink

She raises her 🤚 ... not sure I want censored or attacked but hey ho ... 

personally I’ve always wondered why that gaff is in contribute ... it would be better with a wider readership in gd and it might encourage people there to read a bit wider on the forums

as to the kudos situation... let’s just say I’ve experimented, been there, done it and got the kudos ... cheapest kudos going on the forum you can get one per letter you type it’s ‘great’. Just lock the gaff thread and it can be read by those who want to and not be part of the payback farming 

Message 14 of 51
by: allan1954
on: 23/10/2018 | 21:54

@kath72 wrote:

@natty_noo wrote:

She raises her 🤚 ... not sure I want censored or attacked but hey ho ... 

@kath72 @natty_noo thanks i know what you mean about being attacked just because i didnt agree with the op so well done the 2 of you.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 51
by: alanjury
on: 23/10/2018 | 22:19 edited: 23/10/2018 | 22:24

I am sorry if you felt I was attacking you, @allan1954, that certainly wasn’t my intention.

[edited for typo]

Message 16 of 51
by: allan1954
on: 23/10/2018 | 22:24
@alanjury you knew what you were doing, after all, you typed it thought this would have got more support looks like the members are not bothered wish I hadn't now.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 17 of 51
by: jsmith2009
on: 24/10/2018 | 00:16

Hi

I do read and enjoy the gaff and often put a simple comment of thanks.

I am not sure if it should be in contribute though is this best place for it ?. I hope they continue with it.

Cheers

Message 18 of 51
by: crazy__avocado
on: 24/10/2018 | 01:15

@allan1954wrote:

@alanjuryyou knew what you were doing, after all, you typed it thought this would have got more support looks like the members are not bothered wish I hadn't now.

I think you are over reacting and trying to portray yourself as a martyr defending a noble cause. This is an appropriate discussion to have because the gaff is not a representative publication.

Message 19 of 51
by: williamwalker
on: 24/10/2018 | 01:29 edited: 24/10/2018 | 01:31

To be perfectly honest I haven't read it for ages.

I was subscribe to it and used to get a notification about it being available even got a email, however I do not receive that anymore.

If giffgaff want to have a news letter, it would be a good idea to inform the members that have subscribed to it, and not rremove their subscription without informing them.

I would regard this as the most basic step if you want to make something successful.

Message 20 of 51