Knowledge Base
Community

Thread hijacking (in GD) ... Should it be discouraged?

Started by: extreme_one
On: 21/02/2017 | 21:56
Replies: 28

by: extreme_one
on: 21/02/2017 | 21:56 edited: 21/02/2017 | 22:22

Is it just me that finds it irritating when people use a thread for their own purposes?

"Hi Doris, how are you? I hope your little doggy is feeling better" says Mavis

... Posted in a thread about, for example, Gardening where neither Doris nor Mavis started the thread.

I think it's rude TBH. It has no relevance to the topic and other members need to scroll through the irrelevant posts to find the relevant posts.

Can't Doris and Mavis use the Private Messaging system to have their chat?

I'm tempted to use the Report function when I see it, but then I wonder if I'm just being a grumpy old git. Smiley Mad

Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 29
by: mcilwraith
on: 21/02/2017 | 22:06

its always been that way on gd since i`ve joined
don't let these things get you down

Message 2 of 29
Highlighted
by: frenchielove
on: 21/02/2017 | 22:10

Hi @extreme_one I know what you mean and I must say I am probably one of the guilty parties, for which I apologise, it is so easy to get sidetracked when replying to a thread. I do not think people mean to be rude so sorry that it upsets you.

Message 3 of 29
by: navvy
on: 21/02/2017 | 22:16

@extreme_one

Yes, you should report it, and leave it to the Educator to point out the mistake to the hijacker.

When it is a request for help, a hijack will usually be overlooked for hours, if not months and even years.  GD should act as a test area for people to learn how to use the forum properly, so that they are familiar with how to ask a question when they have a problem.  If they don't learn that hijacking is wrong, they will continue doing it and then complain that they don't get any help.

Message 4 of 29
by: extreme_one
on: 21/02/2017 | 22:26

@navvy thanks. I should really have stated in my OP that I was specifically referring to forums other than H&S, as I feel it's a given that hijacking Help threads should always be reported.

My example referred to GD as that's the forum I notice it happening most frequently.

I've edited the thread title to reflect the fact I'm referring to GD mainly.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 5 of 29
by: auntied
on: 21/02/2017 | 22:48
It goes on too much, and threads that may potentially fall off the first page because they're, let's be honest, not exactly stimulating, stay on longer because of the inane chitchat.

And if it's a good thread, then having to wade through all the pointless chat isn't something that i particularly enjoy doing.
Message 6 of 29
by: pault1974
on: 21/02/2017 | 23:18 edited: 21/02/2017 | 23:20

Point 4 of the community guidelines (HERE) states:

"Stay on topic when posting in an existing thread. Going off on a tangent for a bit is ok, but completely changing the topic should be avoided."

Mind you the guidelines have not been updated for three years so it's anyone's guess as to whether or not they are still enforced by the Educators?

Edit: My mistake - they were last updated on 14/12/2016.

Message 7 of 29
by: magspider
on: 21/02/2017 | 23:24

auntied wrote:

It goes on too much, and threads that may potentially fall off the first page because they're, let's be honest, not exactly stimulating, stay on longer because of the inane chitchat.

And if it's a good thread, then having to wade through all the pointless chat isn't something that i particularly enjoy doing.

In all honesty, the whole feel of GD is being killed by inanity.

Be it thread hijacking for chit chat, or the mushrooming of countless chit chat threads, both serve to bury the much talked about 'meaty content'. 

Educators will in one conversation say they want more quality or high calibre content. In another they will reject complaints about low quality content, suggesting such views are snobbery.

Maybe it should just be accepted that this forum is more The Only Way Is Essex than Question Time.

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 8 of 29
by: billchiz
on: 22/02/2017 | 05:33

pault1974 wrote:

"Stay on topic when posting in an existing thread. Going off on a tangent for a bit is ok, but completely changing the topic should be avoided."

Mind you the guidelines have not been updated for three years so it's anyone's guess as to whether or not they are still enforced by the Educators?

Good point, but I get the impression that people don't read the Guidelines any more than they read entire threads before leaving copycat posts; or maybe they do and just want to see their name in lights! I much prefer to give kudos to something I agree with than parroting the same viewpoint. 

More kudos also indicates the strength of support for that response without having to wade through the rest. 

I don't know if the Rewards system recognises giving kudos or not. 

Message 9 of 29
by: pault1974
on: 22/02/2017 | 08:49

billchiz wrote:

pault1974 wrote:

Good point, but I get the impression that people don't read the Guidelines any more than they read entire threads before leaving copycat posts; or maybe they do and just want to see their name in lights! I much prefer to give kudos to something I agree with than parroting the same viewpoint. 

More kudos also indicates the strength of support for that response without having to wade through the rest. 

I don't know if the Rewards system recognises giving kudos or not. 

Fair point @billchiz - I know I've only read the guidelines a couple of times (one of those times been last night), and I don't think I read them before starting to post on the forums.

Message 10 of 29