Knowledge Base
Community

Time to consider free-rating services?

Started by: k89bpa
On: 31/08/2018 | 21:09
Replies: 14
Reply

by: k89bpa
on: 31/08/2018 | 21:09 edited: 31/08/2018 | 21:10

I've been doing this via my provider for quite some time now and I know that some do it whilst others do not, (O2 used to free rate music streaming apps and still do for legacy customers, though not new customers). 

 

Here's my data graph for this month so far...

NOTABLE-00066.jpg

 

 

As you can see, it's all mobile data, all the time and that cumulatively since my refresh data I'm running at 43.7GB used. 

 

However, I have purchased add-ons to free rate some app/web usage so what does my provider say that I've used of my 50GB allowance in the same time span?

 

NOTABLE-00065.jpg

 

 

Just 10.1GB. 

 

Now I'm not suggesting this is done for free, Three did that free rating Netflix and live TV streaming apps among other things and it absolutely trashed their network because they didn't have the capacity to cope with people suddenly using their phones to watch telly but I do think there is a market for paid add-ons.

 

I'm not sure which services at the moment, or what costs, I just wanted to throw the idea out there and see what comes back. Is unlimited usage of some services something you guys would be willing to pay additional fees for.

 

Would you for instance pay £3/mo for unlimited Spotify streaming?

 

I've just used Spotify because that was one of the apps Telefonica previously free-rated, and I personally don't think that's a very attractive app to include because other networks offer it, but how about £5-10/mo to stream as much as you want on BBC iPlayer, BBC media player and BBC radio player which no other network currently offers? Would that be something you might be interested in?

 

Obviously this thread is more for the higher data users than those who barely use their phones. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 1 of 15
by: techiebloke
on: 31/08/2018 | 21:53

@k89bpa

 

It depends if giffgaff want to invest in traffic management that identifies and rate limits this kind of stuff or signs specific deals with providers to provide specific bit rate quality so that the infrastructure isn't overwhelmed.

 

As gg don't have a pay monthly base to fund this I don't it's likely to happen.

 

 

 

 

 

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 2 of 15
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 31/08/2018 | 22:06

@k89bpa wrote:

I've been doing this via my provider for quite some time now and I know that some do it whilst others do not, (O2 used to free rate music streaming apps and still do for legacy customers, though not new customers). 

 

Here's my data graph for this month so far...

NOTABLE-00066.jpg

 

 

As you can see, it's all mobile data, all the time and that cumulatively since my refresh data I'm running at 43.7GB used. 

 

However, I have purchased add-ons to free rate some app/web usage so what does my provider say that I've used of my 50GB allowance in the same time span?

 

NOTABLE-00065.jpg

 

 

Just 10.1GB. 

 

Now I'm not suggesting this is done for free, Three did that free rating Netflix and live TV streaming apps among other things and it absolutely trashed their network because they didn't have the capacity to cope with people suddenly using their phones to watch telly but I do think there is a market for paid add-ons.

 

I'm not sure which services at the moment, or what costs, I just wanted to throw the idea out there and see what comes back. Is unlimited usage of some services something you guys would be willing to pay additional fees for.

 

Would you for instance pay £3/mo for unlimited Spotify streaming?

 

I've just used Spotify because that was one of the apps Telefonica previously free-rated, and I personally don't think that's a very attractive app to include because other networks offer it, but how about £5-10/mo to stream as much as you want on BBC iPlayer, BBC media player and BBC radio player which no other network currently offers? Would that be something you might be interested in?

 

Obviously this thread is more for the higher data users than those who barely use their phones. 

@k89bpa by free rating do u mean that the app doesnt use any mobile data allowance?  Like the giffgaff app is 0 rated.

 

I dont fully understand the idea can you explain?

 

I mean if networks allow that does that not mean its not good for them.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 15
by: k89bpa
on: 31/08/2018 | 22:13
That's not what this thread is about @techiebloke.

This thread is purely to gauge interest, would customers be interested, if so what apps would they like to see free-rated and what would they be willing to pay to have unlimited access to these apps.

@shabazmoqsud yes, that's exactly what I mean.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 4 of 15
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 31/08/2018 | 22:51

@k89bpa wrote:

That's not what this thread is about @techiebloke.

This thread is purely to gauge interest, would customers be interested, if so what apps would they like to see free-rated and what would they be willing to pay to have unlimited access to these apps.

@shabazmoqsud yes, that's exactly what I mean.

@k89bpa okay in that case i would say it would be perfect if social media apps wer 0 rated and any video streaming apps ie amazon prime netflix youtube etc

 

I guess that 0 rated apps services would be very attractive pulling point for networks to get more customers

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 15
by: k89bpa
on: 31/08/2018 | 23:33
@shabazmoqsud how much would you be willing to pay, (remember this is in addition to your goodybag), for unlimited access to all of those services?

As I said in the opening post, if it's free then it's going to cripple the network like it did to Three's network when they made video streaming free, so there has to be an additional cost to provide revenue for giffgaff to pay for the infrastructure to support it.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 6 of 15
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 31/08/2018 | 23:38

@k89bpa wrote:

@shabazmoqsud how much would you be willing to pay, (remember this is in addition to your goodybag), for unlimited access to all of those services?

As I said in the opening post, if it's free then it's going to cripple the network like it did to Three's network when they made video streaming free, so there has to be an additional cost to provide revenue for giffgaff to pay for the infrastructure to support it.

@k89bpa ok i get i guess the additional cost would have to be reasonable a balance in the middle not to high so as to cripple the customer but not to low that the network makes a loss after all everyone has to make money to stay in business.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 15
by: k89bpa
on: 31/08/2018 | 23:42
@shabazmoqsud so...how much would you be WILLING to pay?

(Please stop quoting everything, it's causing me to have to unnecessarily scroll through all my posts twice. Mentioning me is enough, lol)
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 8 of 15
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 31/08/2018 | 23:53

@k89bpa i guess if u add the value of the 2 highest goodybags to whatever goodybag u have 

 

Ie say 10 goodybag and u want the service the additional cost say £20-£25

 

So between £30-35 pounds total or do u think that is too much i dont personally subscibe to online video streaming services so have no idea whats a good price to pay.  My thinking is simple if i want to video videos online within giffgaff then i stick to the package i have and use wifi mainly to avoid running out or a buy a bigger goodybag say £20 goodybag where u get 21GB me personally i would struggle to use all that.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 15
by: k89bpa
on: 01/09/2018 | 00:27
@shabazmoqsud there is no right or wrong answer to this, I'm genuinely only interested in what people honestly think in terms of apps and cost.

I really value your input, hopefully more people will add their thoughts too so that we can start to build up some kind of picture of how valuable such a facility would be to people.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 10 of 15