Community

{URGENT} Need an option to disable the giffgaff overdraft facility

Started by: extreme_one
On: 27/11/2018 | 07:32
Replies: 22

Go to best answer
by: extreme_one
on: 27/11/2018 | 07:32 edited: 27/11/2018 | 07:43

So, on my dual SIM phone I use giffgaff for personal stuff and use my work SIM for everything else. 

I accidently switched to using DATA on my giffgaff SIM, instead of my work SIM, and ended up eating up all my credit and going overdrawn.

Screenshot_20181125-130856.pngSo now I owe giffgaff £3.45

I didn't ask for this facility, I didn't even know it existed, and would rather have not had access to any data at all instead of now owing giffgaff money.

On any other PAYG service, once you run out of credit your service stops until you top up again.

We need an option to disable this unwanted overdraft facility.

I treat giffgaff like a PAYG service, which is what it always used to be, so to discover I now owe giffgaff money for a service I didn't want is pretty annoying!

Worse, I have children with giffgaff SIMS, how do I know they're not racking up overdrafts? What's the limit? At what point do you cut off their service?!?

giffgaff is slowly moving further and further away from providing the service that brought me to it in the first place.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 23
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: extreme_one
on: 27/11/2018 | 17:30 edited: 27/11/2018 | 18:18

Ok, with @paul_d_'s help, we've got to the bottom of this.

It turns out, 7 months ago in April 2018, there was a thread talking about the possibility of offering a Credit Cushion. We were invited to PM @prescilla_g expressing our interest.

I replied with "I'm intrigued ... " and received a reply to inform me I had been added to "the list" ... I think I presumed I'd hear more about it but never did and promptly forgot about it.

Now it seems there was a mass PM sent out, but for one reason or another I didn't receive it. It might be during a time when I was on a giffgaff holiday.

@paul_d_ has offered to find the missing PMs and resend them, he's arranged to disable the Credit Cushion on my account immediately and has kindly arranged to reimburse the negative credit on my account.

I can't fault @paul_d_ on this one, he's kept me updated throughout the day as he's learned more and I'm happy with the final outcome.

I hope it's not frowned upon that I've marked this post as Best Answer since it's the easiest way of alerting anyone interested in the reason why and the resolution.

Smiley Happy

{EDIT} presently, the only way to disable this feature, is to PM an Educator.

I believe the only true sensible long-term solution is to give us the option to enable and disable this in our account settings.

I assume this will happen if/when this is rolled out for all.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 15 of 23
by: persco
on: 27/11/2018 | 07:40 edited: 27/11/2018 | 07:51

This is an ongoing trial as non of mine or family on giffgaff have it. I even thought they had put it on hold following the backlash on its announcement months ago. 

I would have thought there is an option to turn this facility OFF or OPT OUT. If there isnt then this is one of the reasons why it should have that option. 

I hope they don’t roll it out fully without opt in/out or option to turn it OFF altogether. I don’t need the cushion. Would rather start a package early if any of my family account run out of allowance. 

It was announced here https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Coming-soon-A-brand-new-feature-for-goodybags/td-p/2194... check the comments. Most were a forecast of a situation like yours today. Shocking if they let it run without opt in or out. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 23
by: ujo55
on: 27/11/2018 | 08:31
This seems rather different to the original scheme or credit cushion which was an add on to a goodybag to make credit instantly available for those things not covered by the goodybag- like payforit scams as was mentioned. If you did not have an active goodybag it was not applicable in the original scheme.
Certainly thinking could have changed, but I am very surprised that giffgaff can opt an member into such a trial particularly as it has a financial implication, without their knowledge or agreement
Message 3 of 23
by: paul_d_
community giff-staffer

on: 27/11/2018 | 09:09

Morning All,

Thanks for highlighting this, This does seem strange and as such I have raised this as a priority with our team who are dealing with the credit cushion trials.

As soon as I have some more information on this I will certainly relay this to you. @extreme_one I will be sending you a PM shortly regarding this & will keep you fully informed of our progress.

Thanks again folks for the heads up on this, were on the case.

Paul.

giffgaff Educator

Message 4 of 23
by: woodyuk
on: 27/11/2018 | 10:57

@paul_d_ over the last couple of months I've noticed a few threads similar to this one in H&S and the inherent problems will all of them seem to be:-

1,the members were opted into the credit cushion trial without their knowledge.

2,they have no way to remove themselves from the trial.

3,because it's a trial,they don't have any way in their account settings to disable credit cushion.

Luckily I bookmarked this one so perhaps you could forward it to the relevant team as well?

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Still-waiting-to-dump-credit-cushion-as-random-charge...

Message 5 of 23
by: jokeyboi77
on: 27/11/2018 | 11:39

@woodyuk

That's nothing I've been trying to help that member since June! See their original thread here and the nightmare they've went through during and after the credit cushion, Negative Credit. 😮

jokeyboi-v2.png
Message 6 of 23
by: essie112mm
on: 27/11/2018 | 11:45

IF - and let's remember it hasn't been confirmed yet - this is the "credit cushion" at work then giffgaff I'm afraid that it's a case of "Well we told you so". It would also be yet another example of how meaningless "Run by You" is, because if I remember rightly there was a lot of member disquiet which has clearly been disregarded. Is this what The Panel would be all about? Getting members rubber-stamping (and hence "legitimising") decisions which the wider community might not want?

If members have been accidentally or intentionally trialled to use the credit facility without their knowledge then it's a no-brainer: they all have to be compensated quick smart. The trial also has to be suspended and reviewed.

The quicker this is investigated and an answer posted in this thread , and if necessary also in Announcements, the better for all concerned. 

27/08/2017
My @mentions are turned OFF
Message 7 of 23
by: ip633
on: 27/11/2018 | 12:49

If we are talking about the credit cushion, then we were given the following advice (in this post):

Will Credit Cushion be defaulted to off?

• At launch Credit Cushion will be strictly on an opt in basis only, no members will be defaulted to on. We will be keeping an eye on this to make sure this is giving the best experience to members.
Message 8 of 23
by: woodyuk
on: 27/11/2018 | 13:04

@ip633 I'm pretty sure that the post you linked to refers to if and when credit cushion goes live for all giffgaff members,not for the trial period which seems to still be underway although we've had no updates from giffgaff on how the trial is progressing.

No big surprises there though I suppose.

Message 9 of 23
by: persco
on: 27/11/2018 | 13:04

@ip633 wrote:

If we are talking about the credit cushion, then we were given the following advice (in this post):

Will Credit Cushion be defaulted to off?

• At launch Credit Cushion will be strictly on an opt in basis only, no members will be defaulted to on. We will be keeping an eye on this to make sure this is giving the best experience to members.

@ip633 It said “At Launch” though but this is a trial and not fully rolled out but still doesn’t excuse this situation. Am at a loss why there isn’t and opt in out or disable/enable. That’s even more important in trials to see the effect of on/off or enable/disable than full launch. 

Someone dropped per the ball there giffgaff. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 23