Started by: bertiebat
On: 12/04/2013 | 20:27
Replies: 40

Go to best answer
by: solid247
on: 14/04/2013 | 09:09 edited: 14/04/2013 | 19:42
@ Guru
Slightly off subject but relative Smiley Happy

You will be aware of our sim swap system, many members will be holding onto a reserve sim incase they lose a phone or a sim is lost/damaged ect
Could you say if the sim swap process will still function if the sim is for example 14months old ?
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Message 21 of 41
by: bertiebat
on: 14/04/2013 | 19:13

@solid247 wrote:
@ Guru
Slightly off subject but relative Smiley Happy

You will be aware of our sim swap system, many members will be holding onto a reserve sim incase they lose a phone or a sim is lost/damaged ect
Could you say if the sim swap will process will still function if the sim is for example 14months old ?

Good point solid and well worth asking, shouldn't be a problem to make this happen as well but the SIM swap activations will need to use the new activation process logic in the same way (so worth noting to ensure this happens). Smiley Happy

Yes golden numbers as you point out would now be possible (but something for the future maybe).

Really pleased that we might be getting unexpiring unactivated SIMs (or keeping them that way) and like you looking forward to future answers from Guru. Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 22 of 41
by: harrrrrry
on: 15/04/2013 | 08:39

I would prefer an arrangement where sims do not expire.

But, if that cannot be achieved then I think sims need to come with an expiry date and the member's URL printed on the credit card holder to re-order new sims.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 23 of 41
by: khairul
on: 02/05/2013 | 17:31
I've had a strong suspicion about number being preallocated to SIMs ever since I read a thread long ago about someone receiving spam texts on their SIM even before they activated it (no doubt as a result of being targeted by a random number generator for the purpose of sending spam). Now I can see that that it is indeed the case.

@jokeyboi77
That's for the mention but that's old news now. My latest record is about 30 months!
Click here to order a giffgaff standard/Micro/Nano SIM and get £5 EXTRA CREDIT free with your first top-up! UK first class & international delivery available
Message 24 of 41
on: 02/05/2013 | 18:03

@khairul wrote:
I've had a strong suspicion about number being preallocated to SIMs ever since I read a thread long ago about someone receiving spam texts on their SIM even before they activated it (no doubt as a result of being targeted by a random number generator for the purpose of sending spam). Now I can see that that it is indeed the case.

@jokeyboi77
That's for the mention but that's old news now. My latest record is about 30 months!

Thanks for your input khairul (and for supporting the idea Smiley Wink).  I saw your post about the really old SIM activation and I wonder whether ANYONE has actually found a SIM that has failed to activate at any time due to it expiring (I've not seen a confirmed case tbh).

The good news is that there should be a way of ensuring that the SIMs never expire (in real terms) from what guru posted but it does need to be planned for as they will need to recoup those numbers some time in the future.

I only keep a small stock of SIMs as I'm worried that at some point they will expire (numbers recouped) and recently lost out on a request for 4 SIMs because of that. Smiley Sad

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 25 of 41
Highlighted
by: gurupandit
former giff-staffer

on: 14/05/2013 | 14:10

Thanks for your input khairul (and for supporting the idea Smiley Wink).  I saw your post about the really old SIM activation and I wonder whether ANYONE has actually found a SIM that has failed to activate at any time due to it expiring (I've not seen a confirmed case tbh).

The good news is that there should be a way of ensuring that the SIMs never expire (in real terms) from what guru posted but it does need to be planned for as they will need to recoup those numbers some time in the future.

I only keep a small stock of SIMs as I'm worried that at some point they will expire (numbers recouped) and recently lost out on a request for 4 SIMs because of that. Smiley Sad

Boys and Girls, Let me kick the confusion out of this thread.

To confirm, the SIMs never expire, unless they have already been activated, or they are really old pre 2G era SIMs (which if you find one, please post it to me for my collection Cat Wink).

What we are doing as part of MSISDN Reuse Project is to disassociate the MSISDN from preactivated SIMs older than a certain period. It wouldn't stop you to activate those SIMs, as a new MSISDN will get dynamically allotted to it. The only downside to this process is that it would take comparatively longer for a dynamic activation to go through. Our tests have shown that the dynamic activatiion takes on an average 2 hours.

So the moral of the story, we are trying to recycle the MSISDN to control the costs and to be Green. But please dont throw away older SIMs, as they won't expire.  (4G may eventually expire them, just as 3G expired 2G SIMs)

Message 26 of 41
by: solid247
on: 15/05/2013 | 16:03
Thanks guru , the cloudy water is clearing at last. All thats needed now is a small change to the terms & conditions Smiley Happy
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Message 27 of 41
on: 15/05/2013 | 22:20

@gurupandit wrote:

To confirm, the SIMs never expire, unless they have already been activated, or they are really old pre 2G era SIMs (which if you find one, please post it to me for my collection Cat Wink).

What we are doing as part of MSISDN Reuse Project is to disassociate the MSISDN from preactivated SIMs older than a certain period. It wouldn't stop you to activate those SIMs, as a new MSISDN will get dynamically allotted to it. The only downside to this process is that it would take comparatively longer for a dynamic activation to go through. Our tests have shown that the dynamic activatiion takes on an average 2 hours.

So the moral of the story, we are trying to recycle the MSISDN to control the costs and to be Green. But please dont throw away older SIMs, as they won't expire.  (4G may eventually expire them, just as 3G expired 2G SIMs)

Thanks gurupandit and you have made my day Smiley Happy

I'm off to spread the news and make sure that the appropriate articles are changed to reflect this.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 28 of 41
by: pinkcalculator
on: 17/05/2013 | 06:22
That's been a very useful thread to read as I have my wee stock of sims and was beginning to think they may need to be replaced with fresh, I don't need to worry now.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 29 of 41
by: figment_uk
on: 18/06/2013 | 16:49 edited: 18/06/2013 | 16:50

@gurupandit wrote:

Somebody please give the agents this information.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 30 of 41