Community

Unlimited SIM Only Deals - the state of the goodybag

Started by: huey3man
On: 27/11/2018 | 00:23
Replies: 45

by: k89bpa
on: 10/12/2018 | 22:35

@glaswegianeric wrote:

I just refuse to see Voxi as another Vodafone plan, I fully buy into their marketing and see them as a separate mobile network

No comment :-D 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 41 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 22:41

@thunderdragon wrote:

Although targeting a given market is legal, exclusion of those not in that market (For Protected Characteristics reasons) isn't, or at least shouldn't be.

Sounds like you're about to embark on a huge but ultimately unsuccessful quest tackling all the companies engaged in the same practices who have a base within the European Union.

As my grandmother used to say to me when I embarked on similar in my younger days, "at least it'll keep you out of trouble for a while".

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 42 of 46
by: thunderdragon
on: 10/12/2018 | 22:54 edited: 10/12/2018 | 22:55
@k89bpa Not going to go taking it nearly that far, but I'm certainly planning to read-up on the legality of it and how it's being allowed. Smiley Happy

From the equality perspective; I can't see how it could possibly be legal for a person to have access/no access to something based mainly on their year of birth (Something outside of their choice) but then again I'm old enough to remember "Access/No Access" referring to whether a retailer would accept a given brand of credit card! Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink
+++ ThunderDragon +++
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink                                     German Sausage jokes: They're the Wurst!... Smiley Tongue
Message 43 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 23:16
@thunderdragon I'd put money on it being down to service not being completely denied.

Example, Nationwide's FlexOne account, (for those under 18). They probably get away with it because they also have FlexDirect and other accounts available to those over 18.

In the same way Vodafone have PAYG, Basics, SIM only and handset packages.

Neither company are denying services, just access to packages specifically designed for specific demographics.
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 44 of 46
by: jaymailsays
on: 11/12/2018 | 02:06
Click to reveal

@thunderdragon wrote:

Hmm...I'm not entirely sure that treating people differently and offering given products exclusively to specific age groups is legal, any more than it would be for a car insurer to decline my custom or charge me higher/lower rates based on my gender. Smiley Surprised

The Equality Act 2010 - AFAIUI - Makes it illegal to discriminate against "Protected Characteristics", which in a loose regard are characteristics over which one has no direct choice over. These include gender, ethnicity, national identity, gender orientation, religious or cultural background, and - De-facto; By the fact one has no choice over when they were born - Age. Smiley Happy
If Voxi are indeed declining people on the grounds of their age, or offering less favourable terms (Such as no "free" social media for accounts over 30) I believe they would likely be in breach of that Act as they're discriminating against customers based on a Protected Characteristic! Smiley Surprised
(FWIW; Being less than a decade away from it, I've made enquiries of curiosity about the rip-off that is "Over 50s" life cover and pointed out I'm enquiring about possible future business. None of the providers have said I can't commence cover now when asked, and many have actually tried to go for the up-sell and sign me up early! Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue )

I know there's probably some wrangle somewhere that they might be relying upon to "Get away" with it - Or the company "Solicitor" is the sort likely to be found in a Brothel rather than at the Bar - But my gut instinct says that offering services only to specific age groups is against the Law! Smiley Surprised
+++ ThunderDragon +++

@thunderdragon wrote: But my gut instinct says that offering services only to specific age groups is against the Law!

I

I

I

Amazing that some of those getting free tv licences, free bus and tube travel, taxfree £200 at Christmas,  cheaper hair cutting, the list goes on, never complain about positive discrimination.

Is age discrimination ever allowed?

Age discrimination can be legal under certain circumstances. The Equality Act allows for age discrimination when it can be ‘objectively justified’. That means the employer or service provider must show that they have a good reason for discriminating on the basis of age.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 45 of 46
Highlighted
by: ashleybristoluk
on: 14/12/2018 | 00:01

gg need step up 

Message 46 of 46