on: 10/12/2018 | 17:36
@mountainstosea

Vodafone gives excellent 2G coverage too, which VOXI uses
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 21 of 46
by: thunderdragon
on: 10/12/2018 | 19:44
'Ow do, @huey3man! Smiley Happy
Speaking as a user who generally consumes about 10mb/month in data terms, I find GG is the best option for me as a rule. I run most of my web stuff for mobile through a Lynx gateway and use GZip compression for the "Last mile" (Between my Pi and my phone) which means that rather than need more data, I simply cut down the amount of data I need in the first place. Smiley Happy
Huey3Man wrote:
VOXI - unlimited social data (WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc) and unlimited UK calls and texts from £10
I remember seeing the ads for that. My very first thought was Unlimited social media for "free"? I wonder how much of their customers data they're scraping from this allegedly "Free" access?... Smiley Surprised Smiley Wink
(Quick question to any Voxi users: Are you - By any chance - Obliged to access Facebook specifically via https://0.facebook.com? If so, then FB's paying for your "free" access, not Voxi! Smiley Surprised Smiley Wink )
K89BPA wrote:
Voxi is at present only available to those aged 30 and under and thus is a niche product rather than a mass market product.
Cheers for the heads-up, @k89bpa! I wasn't considering the service as "Free social anything" automatically means mass datamining and probable shreddage of the GDPR, but I would be very interested to find out how they can be allowed to have an age-based restriction in view of the Equality Act 2010 obliging that discriminating against any "Protected Characteristic" (Which - By virtue of the fact the subject cannot change theirs, as found in a recent Dutch court case - Must include Age) is unlawful? Smiley Surprised :/

As for the GoodyBag suggestions, I wouldn't mind one offering 100 mins, 250 texts and 50mb data for £2,50/month, but as I get great service and "All I want to eat" for £60/year, I'm not in the slightest bit bothered by paying what I do for whaty I get! ^_^
+++ ThunderDragon +++
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink                                     German Sausage jokes: They're the Wurst!... Smiley Tongue
Message 22 of 46
by: k89bpa
on: 10/12/2018 | 20:14
@thunderdragon it is a Vodafone plan one of many available, they just target that particular plan at the under 30s, (used to be under 25s), rather than a separate MNVO, (so I've been told).
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 23 of 46
by: glaswegianeric
on: 10/12/2018 | 20:27

No offence but comparing a Pay&Go+bundles offering to Pay Monthly Sim Only (30 days or not)? Really?

The only valid comparison is that to Smarty. With Smarty you are essentially paying £5 for unlimited calls and texts + £1.25 for each GB of data.

So, 4GB of data - £10 on giffgaff and Smarty

5GB of data - £12 on giffgaff,  £11.25 on Smarty

9GB of data - £15 on giffgaff, £16.25 on Smarty.

For heavier data users - giffgaff is better value.

But Smarty refunds for unused data. 

But giffgaff gives payback. 

Swings and roundabouts. 

But please - do not compare offers from different markets (PayM and Pay&Go).

Message 24 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 20:29
@k89bpa they market themselves as a "network", not just a Vodafone plan.
Message 25 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 20:31 edited: 10/12/2018 | 20:37

@glaswegianeric and giffgaff market themselves as SIM only provider, what's your point?

Marketing is just bull**bleep**, if Voxi is listed as a separate entity at Companies House then it's a separate network/company, if it's not, it's a package.

From their website:

© 2018 VOXI trading under Vodafone Ltd 

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 26 of 46
by: thunderdragon
on: 10/12/2018 | 20:35 edited: 10/12/2018 | 20:38
K89BPA wrote:
ThunderDragon it is a Vodafone plan one of many available, they just target that particular plan at the under 30s, (used to be under 25s), rather than a separate MNVO, (so I've been told).
So this is a plan offered by Vodafone themselves rather than a "Challenger" MVNO like the adverts suggest? Smiley Happy

What I'm confused by though - If it's true that this offering is only available to the under 30s* - Is How can that be legal under the Equality Act? Smiley Surprised
(* - Granted, GG may be targeted toward the same age group for the most part, but AFAIK I'm not breaking any GG T&Cs by still being a customer in my 40s and GG would likely be breaking the Law if they asked me to leave/terminated my account purely because of how old I am. The way this Voxi service has been discussed in the thread so far though, it sounds like anyone over 30 caught using the service would be DC'd immediately for that reason, which'd be against the Law! Smiley Surprised Smiley Sad )

Once I've logged from my GG account for the night, I'll look them up and have a leaf through their T&Cs just to get better informed. Smiley Happy
+++ ThunderDragon +++
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink                                     German Sausage jokes: They're the Wurst!... Smiley Tongue
Message 27 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 20:42 edited: 10/12/2018 | 20:43

@thunderdragon it is the same way a ton of other companies have different products and rates for people of different ages.

If caught people are most likely to be offered an alternative Vodafone product be it a contract or PAYG, if the customer refuses then they are likely to be disconnected for breaching the terms and conditions.

All perfectly legal.

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 28 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 20:48
@k89bpa

Every Pay&Go offering is Sim Only.
Not every Sim Only offering is Pay&Go.

I can pull out my Pay&Go Sim, pay for one month then, once this month is over, put it in my drawer for another X months without paying a penny and having to phone anyone to cancel. Minor difference? Perhaps, but it means a lot for some.

These are two different markets with Pay&Go always offering more (perhaps, by a tiny margin, but still more) control, flexibility and credit file peace of mind. This market is _similar_ to PayM Sim Only, both can have bundles, but it's _not_the_same.

With marketing bull, I agree but if Voxi wants to quack like a duck, why shouldn't I be treating it like a duck. Not just a Voda plan but a network? Fine, then ageist you are as you are not just offering concessions to a certain age group but refusing a certain age group service altogether.
Message 29 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:01 edited: 10/12/2018 | 21:02

I'm not gonna argue semantics with you @glaswegianeric

I've demonstrated that Voxi is not a separate legal entity from Vodafone. What you choose to do with that information is entirely your own choice.

@glaswegianeric wrote:

Fine, then ageist you are as you are not just offering concessions to a certain age group but refusing a certain age group service altogether.

They don't do this Eric, they have a range of products available which people not eligible for the Voxi package can take up at any time, subject to status. 

I know it's fashionable to hate on Vodafone but lets not just make things up.

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 30 of 46