Knowledge Base
Community

Unlimited SIM Only Deals - the state of the goodybag

Started by: huey3man
On: 27/11/2018 | 00:23
Replies: 45

by: thunderdragon
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:05 edited: 10/12/2018 | 21:09
Hmm...I'm not entirely sure that treating people differently and offering given products exclusively to specific age groups is legal, any more than it would be for a car insurer to decline my custom or charge me higher/lower rates based on my gender. Smiley Surprised

The Equality Act 2010 - AFAIUI - Makes it illegal to discriminate against "Protected Characteristics", which in a loose regard are characteristics over which one has no direct choice over. These include gender, ethnicity, national identity, gender orientation, religious or cultural background, and - De-facto; By the fact one has no choice over when they were born - Age. Smiley Happy
If Voxi are indeed declining people on the grounds of their age, or offering less favourable terms (Such as no "free" social media for accounts over 30) I believe they would likely be in breach of that Act as they're discriminating against customers based on a Protected Characteristic! Smiley Surprised
(FWIW; Being less than a decade away from it, I've made enquiries of curiosity about the rip-off that is "Over 50s" life cover and pointed out I'm enquiring about possible future business. None of the providers have said I can't commence cover now when asked, and many have actually tried to go for the up-sell and sign me up early! Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue )

I know there's probably some wrangle somewhere that they might be relying upon to "Get away" with it - Or the company "Solicitor" is the sort likely to be found in a Brothel rather than at the Bar - But my gut instinct says that offering services only to specific age groups is against the Law! Smiley Surprised
+++ ThunderDragon +++
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink                                     German Sausage jokes: They're the Wurst!... Smiley Tongue
Message 31 of 46
by: glaswegianeric
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:11
@k89bpa

I'm not saying that Voxi are a separate legal entity from Vodafone, I appreciate your demonstration.

All I'm saying, regardless of not being a separate legal entity, Voxi choose to market themselves as a network, not as a Vodafone plan, this wasn't the wording I chose for them.

If they want to be seen as a network then it's an ageist network.

Either misrepresentation or ageism.

Message 32 of 46
by: k89bpa
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:14

@thunderdragon wrote:

Hmm...I'm not entirely sure that treating people differently and offering given products exclusively to specific age groups is legal, any more than it would be for a car insurer to decline my custom or charge me higher/lower rates based on my gender. Smiley Surprised

Ever heard of a company called "SAGA", marketing products to those more advanced in years? Or banks marketing different account types to people of different ages?

Like I said, all perfectly legal. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 33 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:15

Screenshot_20181210-210837.png

Could've easily said "a Vodafone plan built for endless possibilities" but they chose the "network" path. 

Message 34 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:18

@thunderdragon wrote:

...my gut instinct says that offering services only to specific age groups is against the Law! 

As I said to @glaswegianeric they don't do this, they have a range of products available that people of any age can purchase to make use of their services, subject to status of course.

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 35 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:20
@k89bpa

I'm afraid none of the plans that Voxi network offers are accessible to the "above 30" age group Smiley Happy.

Nothing to do with hating Vodafone, I dislike them all equally, surprised that you haven't noticed Smiley Happy.

We both stated our points, no point going round in circles Smiley Happy.
Message 36 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:22 edited: 10/12/2018 | 21:23

@glaswegianeric wrote:

Could've easily said "a Vodafone plan built for endless possibilities" but they chose the "network" path. 

Agreed, but it helps from a reputation perspective to distance themselves from the name Vodafone given that company's previous woes and reputation as a fuddy duddy network when trying to attract customers who want "hip" and shiny new things. 

It's very clever really. 

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 37 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:29

@glaswegianeric wrote:

Nothing to do with hating Vodafone, I dislike them all equally, surprised that you haven't noticed Smiley Happy.

It was the "making things up" that was the important part of that sentence, they don't deny people service based on age, they like many other companies deny access to certain packages based not just on age but on a number of different factors. 

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 38 of 46
on: 10/12/2018 | 21:53
@k89bpa I most certainly wasn't making things up Smiley Happy.

I just refuse to see Voxi as another Vodafone plan, I fully buy into their marketing and see them as a separate mobile network - in the very exact way they present themselves.

The fact is all and every plan offered by the aforementioned mobile network is accessible to those aged under 30 years. This mobile network (still talking Voxi) refuses service to anyone aged 30 and above.
Message 39 of 46
by: thunderdragon
on: 10/12/2018 | 22:16 edited: 10/12/2018 | 22:30
GlaswegianEric wrote:
[Screenshot of Voxi homepage] Could've easily said "a Vodafone plan built for endless possibilities" but they chose the "network" path.
I just visited it and I refuse to enable Java5script there whilst logged-in to GG (The homepage has no content if you go there with it disabled) but a quick look at the WHOIS listing for the domain is pretty revealing...
WHOIS Lookup: Voxi,co,uk
Interesting to see the domain lists four Vodafone nameservers in it's public WHOIS listing... Smiley Wink
(Although I do concede I don't know if Vodafone provide DNS services for (Small) business customers or not. If they do, it'd seem fairly reasonable for a broadband provider. Smiley Happy )
K89BPA wrote:
Ever heard of a company called "SAGA", marketing products to those more advanced in years? Or banks marketing different account types to people of different ages? Like I said, all perfectly legal.
@k89bpa I know what you mean with that - There are a lot of bodies which target things to specific groups (Iron Maiden target those who like \m/etal, for example! Smiley Wink ) - But although targeting a given market is legal, exclusion of those not in that market (For Protected Characteristics reasons) isn't, or at least shouldn't be. Smiley Surprised

It's worth pointing out I was once invited to join friends on a Saga cruise by the company themselves, and they confirmed the offer was still open to me despite being in my late 30s at the point of the invite. (I didn't go because cruises are just not my seane! Smiley Wink )
+++ ThunderDragon +++
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink                                     German Sausage jokes: They're the Wurst!... Smiley Tongue
Message 40 of 46