Update: Community help - what's next

Started by: roxy_r
On: 21/08/2018 | 10:40
Replies: 21

by: roxy_r
community giff-staffer

on: 21/08/2018 | 10:40 edited: 04/10/2018 | 12:19

Hello lovely people,

Hope you are all doing great and looking forward to hear about a few projects we are working on in the Help area of the community.  Some of the changes might come sooner and some might take a bit longer to arrive but this is what we have planned for the near future.

1. Your 3 recently active help questions

I am sure you have seen quite a few of our new members being slightly confused about how to find the question they have posted in Help and Support. We have made a great step forward by having a 'Your questions' widget on the main Help page but we thought it would be very useful if we would have a similar widget on the Help and Support board.

This is roughly how it would look like:

Click to reveal
Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 11.59.12.png

Because we don't want to take up the entire page we will display only the latest 3 threads that have been active in the past 30 days. For anything more we have the link on the bottom right of the widget that takes you to the Help page where you can see more.

For members who have no threads active within the last 30 days, the widget will fully disappear, so those of you with really old threads (or none at all) in Help & Support won't see this new section.

Update: This feature is now live

2. Asking a question on the Help and Support board(stage 1).

The page/form that a member sees when clicking on Ask a question is a very general, forum like form and in some cases confuses newbies. It not only has loads of content that is not useful, but the copy does not help either. Making this page fit for purpose will be a slightly longer process and as stage one we have decided to eliminate the formatting options that almost never get used and improve the copy. We will put this up as a test just to make sure our assumptions are the right ones. Also, the change will only impact the creation of a new thread for now, not replying to an existing one. Once we get more insights into how this change has impacted the behaviour of new members asking a question we will be able to plan for stage two.

3. We are doing a bit of work on how we display who set a best answer. Not a massive change, we have just added a bit of background colour to identify who set the BA. So, we have Blue for the person that asked the question, Green for BA setters, Yellow for community staff and Black for any other staff member. There's also Grey for ex-staff members.

Hope you are all as excited as I am to get these changes up and running, learn from them and figure out where we go next. Let me know what you think.

Fluffiness,

Roxy

community manager in the Help&Support area
links Visit the community guidelines <Check the Knowledge base
Message 1 of 22
by: ray2
on: 21/08/2018 | 11:17

Brilliant news @roxy_r

I used the give help board for the first time a couple of days ago,it was really easy to use,and save the posts i had posted in Smiley Happy looking forward to the members notes becoming available.

As for members wanting help and finding their posts, the "your questions widget " sounds good as long as it's simple and easy to find.

Updating the Ask a question form is a long awaited improvement,worth the wait to get it right.

I like the idea of different colours for BA setting although i would like to see a list on the give help board to remind us what each colour means so we are aware who has set the BA answer (im too old to remember who set what and which colour they are Smiley Very Happy)

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 22
by: mcilwraith
on: 21/08/2018 | 11:41

handy additions. nice to see who set the best answer back

Message 3 of 22
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 21/08/2018 | 12:07

Cheers @roxy_r

Had a quick read and some great steps forward .

I will add further comment later 

Great work giffgaff

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 4 of 22
by: geu42
on: 21/08/2018 | 12:55
I don't think you need the different colours, what's wrong with 'BA set by author, by BA setter, or by staff', as it is now?

I'd never remember what the colours mean.
Message 5 of 22
by: tradertall
on: 21/08/2018 | 12:58
i doubt people forget their recent questions.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 22
by: roxy_r
community giff-staffer

on: 21/08/2018 | 13:48
Thanks for the feedback folks!

The BA change is to just keep things consistent. We have 'badges' for staff next to the member name so we wanted to have everything in line. If we find out it is not adding value or actually making it worse then we can always go back to how it is now.

With the recent questions, you're right, they don't forget their question, they just have a hard time finding their way back to it. That is what sometimes causes duplicate threads. If we can point them to their question then we can get them to read the answers that are already posted on their thread rather than create a new one.
community manager in the Help&Support area
links Visit the community guidelines <Check the Knowledge base
Message 7 of 22
by: giffgaff20147
on: 21/08/2018 | 14:13

@roxy_r

Looks ok but don’t see point of colours for best answer setters and who will remember what colour is what I won’t 

the rest is a big improvement to help newer members 

Message 8 of 22
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 22/08/2018 | 02:05

@roxy_r wrote:

Hello lovely people,

Hope you are all doing great and looking forward to hear about a few projects we are working on in the Help area of the community.  Some of the changes might come sooner and some might take a bit longer to arrive but this is what we have planned for the near future.

1. Your 3 recently active help questions.

I am sure you have seen quite a few of our new members being slightly confused about how to find the question they have posted in Help and Support. We have made a great step forward by having a 'Your questions' widget on the main Help page but we thought it would be very useful if we would have a similar widget on the Help and Support board.

This is roughly how it would look like:

Click to reveal
Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 11.59.12.png

Because we don't want to take up the entire page we will display only the latest 3 threads that have been active in the past 30 days. For anything more we have the link on the bottom right of the widget that takes you to the Help page where you can see more.

For members who have no threads active within the last 30 days, the widget will fully disappear, so those of you with really old threads (or none at all) in Help & Support won't see this new section.

2. Asking a question on the Help and Support board(stage 1).

The page/form that a member sees when clicking on Ask a question is a very general, forum like form and in some cases confuses newbies. It not only has loads of content that is not useful, but the copy does not help either. Making this page fit for purpose will be a slightly longer process and as stage one we have decided to eliminate the formatting options that almost never get used and improve the copy. We will put this up as a test just to make sure our assumptions are the right ones. Also, the change will only impact the creation of a new thread for now, not replying to an existing one. Once we get more insights into how this change has impacted the behaviour of new members asking a question we will be able to plan for stage two.

3. We are doing a bit of work on how we display who set a best answer. Not a massive change, we have just added a bit of background colour to identify who set the BA. So, we have Blue for the person that asked the question, Green for BA setters, Yellow for community staff and Black for any other staff member. There's also Grey for ex-staff members.

Hope you are all as excited as I am to get these changes up and running, learn from them and figure out where we go next. Let me know what you think.

Fluffiness,

Roxy

@roxy_r the changes are great to help new members

One question though with the colour system for Best Answers does that mean we have like a sort of rank system for Best Answers like we do for community participations through number of posts and kudos?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 22
by: jaymailsays
on: 22/08/2018 | 06:04

@roxy_r I am quite positive about the colour change for BA setters.

We will easily remember the existing Green, is the Black a sign of mourning for ex staff members? What colour will the typeface be?

Do you have a mock up, we can see.

Jay

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 22