Community

Voicemail Access

Started by: jeceris
On: 17/10/2010 | 19:16
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: jeceris
on: 17/10/2010 | 19:16

Can anyone explain why I can't access a new voicemail via the appropriate phone key? 

I always have to dial 443, which is chargeable.

Plus, is it common practice to have to pay to access voicemails anyway?

Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: tony5101
on: 17/10/2010 | 19:27
The "appropriate phone key" I assume you are are referring to, is probably the number 1 button when you 'long press' on it?
This is simply a shortcut to actually dialling your voicemail, and as such you would still be charged for dialling it.
I think a vast majority of network providers charge for voicemail retrieval now (I actually can't think of anyone that gives free voicemail anymore - although welcome clarification from other members on this)
Depending on your phone, you should be able to reprogramme your shortcut key to dial the gg voicemail service, but as already stated - regardless of whether you use this method or dial 443 manually - the charge would be the same.
As kevvy57 has already stated - if you have a goodybag - then this call would simply come out of your remaining minutes.
Hope this helps.

Tony
Message 5 of 6
by: kevvy57
on: 17/10/2010 | 19:18
i feel most networks charge for voicemail

if your in a goody bag voicemail will cost you one minute otherwise 8p per call is the fixed charge
Message 2 of 6
by: sonesor
on: 17/10/2010 | 19:23
Older gg sims have the old voicemail number (111) hard-coded onto the sim card, so this always is used as the default Voicemail number for your speed-dial key

Unless you can re-program your Voicemail speed-dial key then you are stuck with dialling 443 manually im afraid

CLICK ABOVE TO ORDER A SIM / MICROSIM WITH £5 FREE CREDIT
Message 3 of 6
by: dawsonator1
on: 17/10/2010 | 19:25

Certain phones/os make assumptions about the voicemail number by identifying the network (wrongly) and therefore setting up the voicemail key wrong. Certain versions of android (2.1?) do this for gg.

Message 4 of 6
by: tony5101
on: 17/10/2010 | 19:27
The "appropriate phone key" I assume you are are referring to, is probably the number 1 button when you 'long press' on it?
This is simply a shortcut to actually dialling your voicemail, and as such you would still be charged for dialling it.
I think a vast majority of network providers charge for voicemail retrieval now (I actually can't think of anyone that gives free voicemail anymore - although welcome clarification from other members on this)
Depending on your phone, you should be able to reprogramme your shortcut key to dial the gg voicemail service, but as already stated - regardless of whether you use this method or dial 443 manually - the charge would be the same.
As kevvy57 has already stated - if you have a goodybag - then this call would simply come out of your remaining minutes.
Hope this helps.

Tony
Message 5 of 6
by: jamesdn
on: 17/10/2010 | 19:50

Just to clarify this point to you - if you have a goodybag, a call to voicemail will only be charged for 1 minute regardless of the number of minutes actually spent listening to voicemail.

Message 6 of 6