Community

Warning - SMS with multiple recipients charged as MMS

Started by: mdg
On: 22/07/2016 | 09:28
Replies: 10

Go to best answer
by: mdg
on: 22/07/2016 | 09:28

I am on a goodybag with unlimited texts. Sent an SMS with 3 recipients & was charged 16p MMS fee. Did some research on the forum, reset my phone apps group messaging settings (see photo), sent another SMS with multiple recipients. Again charged 16p. It would appear that regardless of your phone's settings, at the Giffgaff end they still treat it as an MMS & charge accordingly.

image.png

Message 1 of 11
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: terran_federation
on: 22/07/2016 | 12:55
All of this boils down to checking the settings on your phone.

MMS are a pain, and I'm amazed that phones default to this setting when MMS have always been an unpopular feature.
For a free giffgaff SIM with £5 of FREE credit, click here
Message 11 of 11
by: 4128334
on: 22/07/2016 | 09:59
@mdg
Hi,
Massive messages are not included in your text allowances, the charge of 16p per message is taken from your Airtime Credit.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 11
by: oldyorkie
on: 22/07/2016 | 10:16
@mdg
As with all networks 160 characters is the max. before you are charged for a second text.

You need to go back to your phone settings and make sure that long messages are not set up to be converted to mms.
To Read is To Learn - go on - give it a try Smiley Wink
Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at Smiley TongueGet a free giffgaff Simsignature 1.jpg
Message 3 of 11
on: 22/07/2016 | 10:21

I looked at that too...my message was only 62 characters, but thanks for the addtional warning.

Message 4 of 11
on: 22/07/2016 | 10:23
I looked at that too, my message was only 62 characters, but thanks for the extra warning.
Message 5 of 11
by: oldyorkie
on: 22/07/2016 | 10:24
Some more Info for you, if you're not aware...

Text messages can only be a certain length (usually 160 characters). Most phones will allow you to send a text that is 480 characters by breaking it into 3 separate text messages. If your message exceeds 480 characters, it is then converted into a multimedia message. Unfortunately multimedia messages are not free to send and not included in goodybag allowances. They cost 16p per message, so you need credit on your account to send multimedia messages.
To Read is To Learn - go on - give it a try Smiley Wink
Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at Smiley TongueGet a free giffgaff Simsignature 1.jpg
Message 6 of 11
by: harrrrrry
on: 22/07/2016 | 10:30

mdg:

my message was only 62 characters

SMS messages can contain only standard characters -- smilies only if you do them as characters, ie Smiley Happy rather than Smiley LOL

If you include any non-standard characters in a text, it will be sent as MMS. And the same will happen if your phone tries to be "too clever" and create Smiley LOL from your Smiley Happy

Smiley Surprised

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 7 of 11
by: endorphin
on: 22/07/2016 | 11:09
Hmm, try installing a different messaging app to see what happens.
Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 8 of 11
by: sarahbanahnah
on: 22/07/2016 | 11:10
You get a character limit. It is not multiple receipents
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click the banner above for a free giffgaff SIM with free airtime credit of £5.
If you can't see it, then click the link below:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/sarahbanahnah
Message 9 of 11
by: cps15966
on: 22/07/2016 | 12:20

You also have to watch it if a contact is syncd to say facebook or something as it might send as an mms that way too.

With MMS costs on other networks, they seem to have increased dramatically, I think 3 are about 40p now, so could end up really costing you if not careful and you wattle on in texts lol

cps15966 - The creator of the idea for @ mentions you have all come to use and love Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 11