Knowledge Base
Community

Was/is it fair?

Started by: natty_noo
On: 17/12/2018 | 20:13
Replies: 43

by: natty_noo
on: 17/12/2018 | 20:13

I'm a big believer in giving to charity, and all are worthy, i know that, but i'm not sure how i feel about Crisis being the only charity of choice for the donated outage refunds. I think giffgaff could've distributed it differently (and fairer)

Hear me out. For the payback nominations, Crisis weren't eligible because they won and received donations in December '16. But somehow they'll still end up with more money than the top two charities that won this time around, and a whole £387k better off than the other three charities in the top five that lost out.

Here's what was said in the nominations thread;

"The following charities are not eligible for donations in this Payback period. 

- Macmillan Cancer Support (received donations June 2018)

- Children with Cancer UK (received donations June 2018)

- British Heart Foundation (received donations December 2017)
- Save the Children (received donations December 2017)
- Cancer Research UK (received donations June 2017)

- Bluebell Children's Hospice (received donations June 2017)

- Crisis (received donations December 2016)

- Great Ormond Street Hospital (received donations December 2016)"

So would it have been better/fairer to split that £387k between the three charities that didn't get into the top two, plus Crisis? A four way split, nearly £100k each, surely that would've been a fairer/kinder way of doing it?

Message 1 of 44
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 17/12/2018 | 20:21

@natty_noo it would made more sense to select the charity that came 3rd in list of nominations this year in terms of votes 

And give the outage money to charity

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 44
on: 17/12/2018 | 20:27
@shabazmoqsud

I just think if they weren't going to budge on Crisis, (if we'd been told beforehand) then at least split it between the last three in the top five nominations, plus Crisis. £100k is a nice chunk of money, especially to the smaller charities.
Message 3 of 44
by: kath72
on: 17/12/2018 | 20:38
Yeah I thought it should be spilt between the nominated charities too
Message 4 of 44
on: 17/12/2018 | 20:47
Tbh @kath72 , that's exactly what i thought was going to happen. It would've been a nice thing to do anyway.

I'm not being negative about Crisis, but considering they weren't actually eligible for the payback funds, i think giving it to the ones that were eligible would've been the obvious thing to do. Adding Crisis would've been fine, as a four way split though.

And i know this is 'different money', but still.
Message 5 of 44
by: b_richards
on: 17/12/2018 | 21:27
I'd have been so pleased if it was split between the charities that didn't win, not to say that i'm not happy for Crisis, because i am, but £100 thousand would've also come in very handy for any one of the three that missed out.
Message 6 of 44
by: giffgaff20147
on: 17/12/2018 | 21:40

@natty_noo

It should have been split between this years charitys after all that is what members voted in this year ,

Message 7 of 44
on: 17/12/2018 | 21:44
Agreed @giffgaff20147 , but we'll be told it's completely different money, which, of course, is true.

But as Crisis wasn't eligible for the payback donation because of being a previous winner, then i think it's a bit unfair on the charities that were eligible, but still lost out. Twice over.
Message 8 of 44
by: k89bpa
on: 17/12/2018 | 21:46
Right? Fair? I don't know.

Certainly brilliant PR though, (unless it becomes known that giffgaff informed their customers of what was happening through press releases rather than actually talking to them which is a huge customer service fail).
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 9 of 44
by: mightymario
on: 17/12/2018 | 21:59
A cynic might think that a large donation to Crisis especially at Christmas will get giffgaff more publicity/headlines than splitting the pot between several charities and it also explains their rush to close the selection process.
Message 10 of 44