Started by: aggy_agate
On: 26/11/2018 | 14:35
Replies: 41

Highlighted
by: aggy_agate
community giff-staffer

on: 26/11/2018 | 14:35

Hi all,

As you know, at giffgaff we like to do things differently. Our brand is based on the idea of freedom and our members being able to influence our decisions. Listening to you guys is very important to us. By doing so we've managed to keep members at the heart of everything we do. On Sunday we celebrated our 9th birthday (woohoo), so we were wondering, what are those little things that you think make us different from other network providers and brands in general? It could be as small as an SMS when the clocks change or as big as the community run help or a good phone deal, share those little moments when we've done something that put a smile on your face or helped you in any way throughout your member journey. 

I'd like to collect some of your stories and share them back to the teams and other giffgaff members. Sometimes we can forget how all these little things add up and how much they matter, so I want to remind everyone that small things have a great impact and that even after these 9 years we're still 100% doing it for you guys. Many things change but members will always be at the heart of everything we do. 

Cheers,

Aggie and the team

Message 1 of 42
by: clikasarus
on: 26/11/2018 | 14:44 edited: 26/11/2018 | 14:47

Afternoon @aggy_agate I hope you are well, I personally love the start your next goody bag early feature very useful to all members and I also love the unique payback to all members who participate in our fantastic forums We’re I have made some truly good friends

Thank  you giffgaff 👍🏻

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 42
community giff-staffer

on: 26/11/2018 | 14:53

@clikasarus wrote:

Afternoon @aggy_agate I hope you are well, I personally love the start your next goody bag early feature very useful to all members and I also love the unique payback to all members who participate in our fantastic forums We’re I have made some truly good friends

Thank  you giffgaff 👍🏻

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing. So lovely to hear you've made some great friends because of the forum, knowing we can help members to connect really makes it all worthwhile. We're lucky to have you as a member Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 42
by: mcilwraith
on: 26/11/2018 | 14:55

you said it in your post @aggy_agate the members themselves.the ones ive met on here and the ones ive met in person.

what other phone network would make you feel like actually going out and meeting someone you speak to on the forums

Message 4 of 42
by: clikasarus
on: 26/11/2018 | 14:57

@mcilwraith wrote:

you said it in your post @aggy_agate the members themselves.the ones ive met on here and the ones ive met in person.

what other phone network would make you feel like actually going out and meeting someone you speak to on the forums

Totally agree @mcilwraith what a  awesome network we are part of 👍🏻

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 42
by: natty_noo
on: 26/11/2018 | 15:05

Maybe i'd have positive things to say if only giffgaff didn't start things that they then don't finish.

Message 6 of 42
community giff-staffer

on: 26/11/2018 | 15:57 edited: 26/11/2018 | 16:26

@natty_noo wrote:

Maybe i'd have positive things to say if only giffgaff didn't start things that they then don't finish.

@natty_noo thanks for flagging, we were not aware. I'm sorry that nobody got back to you. The quickest way to flag these issues is by reporting to the Educators team. We did not do it on purpose and if something gets missed we truly don't mean it, sometimes it is tricky to keep an eye on everything so we appreciate when you guys reach out to us.  I've now posted a response on the thread https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/General-Discussion/closed-Halloween-on-giffgaff-studio-Get-spooky/... and locked it. I'll also be in touch with you and the other member who posted their entry. 

Message 7 of 42
by: kathleen414
on: 26/11/2018 | 16:20

Hiya @aggy_agate

Well i think what makes us different is simple, yes the payback is very nice for the members and how we dont use call back centres.

But the number one is Our community and its members , i have loved every minute here and its become a place i head for first.

sometimes to be a part and get involved other times i just read .

I love being a part of such a warm and diverse group of people , giffgaff for me means Friends and i for one love it .

Message 8 of 42
by: k89bpa
on: 26/11/2018 | 16:46

Nothing.

giffgaff is fundamentally the same as any corporate entity and always has been. There is a veneer of "otherness" but that is all it actually is. 

If I had to pick a difference then I'd say that you're the only mobile company who tries to pretend not to be a for profit company, instead attempting to masquerade as a cooperative of sorts. Marketing.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, it is after all clearly working to a not insignificant degree which suggests long term viability in a market strewn with casualties meaning that people can rely on the company being around for some time which is important. 

It does have drawbacks though, such as fostering a cult like mentality where you have your "support staff" making absurd claims which are detrimental to the public perception of the company, (see "payback" claims - another company just gave me "payback" which is £2049+ in value when compared like for like with giffgaff, purely for agreeing to stay for two years when I've zero intention of leaving anyway), and creating a perception that support is provided by a pack of rabid fiends cashing pennies, (something that I hear often and whilst it is true in many cases respects, it does a tremendous disservice to many of the individuals providing truly exceptional service to customers). 

So double edged sword there. 

Years ago giffgaff did feel like it was different, a lot different, but that was in the days when the network was being built and you had a very geeky userbase and public perception. That made it feel fresh and exciting.

As the network grew innovation naturally slowed and giffgaff changed from a trendsetter to just another company, part of that is financial, part of it is the rest of the market catching up, part of it is the changing demographics and company focus, (which whether real or otherwise feels much different these days). 

On the putting members first thing, as someone who has always positioned themselves on the outside of that I'm able to take a somewhat objective view of that. That too seems to have changed and that's due to the staff and their attitude towards members and myself. 

Years ago it wasn't a chore to hear from staff, it was pleasant, they were friendly, respectful and decent, clearly very good at the whole customer service stuff, these days I dread them getting in touch. 

I walked into my other providers local store the other day to pick up a new phone and was greeted by the store manager, (someone I haven't seen in about a year), and when going through the process he was friendly, polite and welcoming. He even demonstrated that he remembered me, making jokes relevant to myself.

That's how you used to be. That's part of what builds relationships, that's what makes the customer feel valued and makes them want to stick around. And it's the same however I contact them or however they contact me. That's how once upon a time you had my loyalty and how they now do. 

It is important now that you're essentially "just another provider" that you're honest, open, genuine and work on building the reputation of being a friendly, knowledgeable company who values their customers, (members if you insist), because these days that's how you will differentiate yourselves from the pack. 

Failing that you need to find a new way to innovate in what is a very stagnant and homogeneous marketplace as you were once able to do with considerable ease, because that's the other way you could set yourself apart from the pack. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 9 of 42
by: persco
on: 26/11/2018 | 16:59

Mine is definitely the free giffgaff2giffgaff calls and texts. Saved myself, family and friends I got to join a ton over the years. 

I also like the charges for international calls to where I call the most internationally and is one of the cheapest if not the cheapest around. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 42