On: 26/11/2018 | 14:35
Replies: 41

Highlighted
by: aggy_agate
community giff-staffer

on: 27/11/2018 | 14:22

@bobrobinson wrote:

Hiya Again @aggy_agate

We sent giffgaff birthday wishes yesterday. I dont know if you guys saw the thread.

Its amazing how many gaffers sent a message. And proves how us gaffers feel about our wonderfull network

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/General-Discussion/Happy-Birthday-giffgaff/m-p/22688936#M4312063

BobSmiley Happy

Ohhh thanks so much for sharing @bobrobinson, I didn't see this, no. That's so lovely!! I'll share this around Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 42
by: ujo55
on: 27/11/2018 | 15:11
I think an objective answer is for the 95% or so of giffgaff customers who never visit these pages, except perhaps occasionally if and when technical support is required the answer is very little.
Giffgaff is now a very conventional / conservative service provider reluctant to offer new feature until or unless forced to do so by market conditions rather than by being influenced by the thoughts and wishes of the members / customer base.
I'm sure for some free giffgaff to giffgaff calls are valuable as is the flexibility of the goodybag arrangement.
At some cost points GG is very competitive at others less so.
The way H&S is provided is different of course, with most other providers the forum supplements the companies offering rather than replacing the first line technical support - works well for some, not for others.
For the 5% or so who regularly visit the forums, then they are a social place, a place to exchange thoughts and ideas but somehow alas with an increasing lack of engagement between gg and its members . But yes the forums I do find enjoyable and the payback a nice bonus.
Message 22 of 42
by: ijustcantdoit
on: 27/11/2018 | 15:45

@aggy_agate

The free giffgaff2giffgaff calls and texts is ace and helps lots of familys keep in touch , its brilliant 

“Welcome
Message 23 of 42
by: gizzblue
on: 27/11/2018 | 17:48

It's deffo the free gg to gg for me too .

Message 24 of 42
by: k89bpa
on: 27/11/2018 | 18:05

@aggy_agate wrote:

@k89bpa that is an incredibly great feedback, thank you so much for sharing this.  I'll make sure to share it around so the staff hears both sides of the story and has something to push them forward to innovate and be curious. Cheers for this. Smiley Happy

You're welcome @aggy_agate and thank you for taking it in the spirit it was meant. I appreciate that.

I think innovation is somewhat dead across the entire mobile service market these days, much as with handsets which are generally speaking "much of a muchness" at each price point.

People talk of camera innovation with handsets, first it was the iPhone camera, then the Samsung one, then the Pixel, then the Huawei, then Samsung again and now the Pixel again. It's more a case of evolution than revolution though. The "innovation" claim is just a marketing tool being used to try and differentiate.

The service market is the same. 

I've no doubt that the Black Friday deal I picked up as some would be described as innovation by some, but it's not, it's a discount/incentive, something that's been around for as long as money has. The same is true of the plan with the addition of inclusive international minutes, it's just a discount/incentive, there's nothing innovative or revolutionary about it. Same with the introduction of unlimited usage of certain apps/websites which some providers do. 

And that's natural because we have a very mature market here in the UK, the closest thing we have to innovation is Voxi because of their heavy social focus which makes forums like this look and feel very tired indeed, but that's really just the same as live chat, it's just being done on social media rather than a traditional live chat piece of software. 

I think that's part of the reason that Vodafone, traditionally an awful network to deal with have invested so heavily in improving their customer service. Aside from network performance, that's really the only way to tell each network apart these days beyond the operator logo on the phone and SIM card. 

I can't think of any other way to tell networks apart other than price, local network performance and customer service. 

Roaming is probably the only other way but that's going to be largely irrelevant to most and even that's not innovation that's under discount/incentive too. 

True innovation these days is really hard because of how far all networks have progressed, giffgaff included. Network level customer configurable call blocking would be a good one, nobody in the UK does that yet, (they have it stateside on some networks I believe). And then i struggle...

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
For the meaning behind the codes in my posts search the code GGK-0228-2309
Message 25 of 42
by: germansheppard234
on: 27/11/2018 | 18:31

@aggy_agate

Well I have been in here 8 years so seen some changes 

I must say I have seen many things go wrong but I have to say the forum has always found work around to solve the lithium mess 

The way members buckled down to update is all in there  journeys they had to found ways round it

u guys Giffgaff did your best and faced an impossible task but luckily both sides worked together 

That's the spirit of Giffgaff 

Cheers al! Concerned 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 26 of 42
by: magspider
on: 27/11/2018 | 22:37

Thank you for this momentous thread on the occasion of giffgaff's ninth birthday.

I think it definitely is important to giffgaff to talk about listening to customers, and hearing what we have to say. The Run by You mantra is ever present, and a core part of what giffgaff is about.

So I'll say that the most important thing is for giffgaff to talk about and virtuously declare that it wants to listen. And the true clincher is that despite saying it so often, the company doesn't actually bother doing this.

I am the magnificent spider.

I approve this message.

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 27 of 42
by: suppers_ready
on: 28/11/2018 | 14:55 edited: 28/11/2018 | 14:59

Having just read a thread about the annual "Run by You" awards (or gaftas as they were originally), I'd like to give them a mention.

The idea behind them was suggested by a member in the first instance. The nominees are suggested by the membership, and it's even been known for staffers to go and give the winners their award. All very giffgaffy and a good representation of the brand.

From a service point of view, probably the most significant chapter would be when the iphone 4 came out with the microsim. At that time giffgaff didn't do microsims so members of the community came together to physically cut down standard sims and distribute them to new members. That did cause some controversy on the forum, but undoubtedly was a very important phase in giffgaff's growth, something that the then gaffer mentioned as a vital moment in his speech on the open day way back when. (Can't remember the year but was before Aggy's time)

Alternatively, there is always the magnificent @flaxvert with the 12 days of Christmas , marvelous!

Message 28 of 42
by: alanjury
on: 30/11/2018 | 09:02

@aggy_agate wrote:

Our brand is based on the idea of freedom and our members being able to influence our decisions. Listening to you guys is very important to us.

Glad to see we are moving away from the ‘run by you’ nonsense. Is ‘influenced by you’ going to be the new strap-line @aggy_agate?

Message 29 of 42