Knowledge Base
Community

Why does tethering stop at 6 Gbytes?

Started by: paulkearnsmusic
On: 25/08/2016 | 00:11
Replies: 15

by: paulkearnsmusic
on: 25/08/2016 | 00:11

I've been mulling this over and, for the life of me, I can figure this one out - especially as it seems to disadvantage those of us with combined tablet phones.

I've fallen foul of this once before - being told I was effectively "tethered" to my own phone - simply because that's the way the technology works.

Surely it makes no difference - especially as "the brakes" are very applied during daylight hours anyway. Late at night or early in the morning, it matters not if you have a standard phone with a big SD card in it or a combined phone tablet.

Personally, because I am disabled and have to get up at 4am, I would like to be able to download a few BBC or ITV programs or perhaps a film to watch when there is nothing on later. With a phone or combined tablet this should be possible but, simply because I need a bigger screen, I'm prevented from doing this.

I can understand that some people will inevitably try and abuse the system, downloading masses of data - but they could just add easily do this with a phone connected to a USB disk.

As it stands now, I have to select a £15 gigabyte goody bag and renew it every time the 6 gigabyte is used up, whereas those with slightly different technology don't have the same limitations - for a mere £2 a month more.

If there was an always on goody bag that allows tethering after 6 gigabytes at anything up to £25 a month then I for one would be happy to buy it.

I honestly feel that, with the massive explosion of mobile data availability with speeds as good or better than landline connections, then, unless there is a valid technical reason why not - something like this is needed.

It's just an idea and it honestly confuses me as to why this isn't offered now.

Any feedback not would be gratefully received.

Message 1 of 16
by: bantonm
on: 25/08/2016 | 00:52

Don't worry, you're not alone..

3 (network) and apprently if you look hard enough (no offence), ee allow 20 or 30 gb of tethering and 3 offers allegedly unlimited data beyond that, without tethering I think for around £25, 3 is a bit cheaper if you take out a contract for it.

Things may have changed since people last spoke about this but at least I think 3 is current.

I am totally with you on the tethering thing, both for those who don't and those who do abuse the system. We're being lead to believe the industry can't handle the amount of customers on it.

The funny thing, for a long time now, none of the companies seem to be screaming "we're investing, we really are" to us.

My first month on giffgaff was impeccable for calls and texts but data was pretty poor.

But then, what are the limits and what constitutes as abuse ?

I think a fair limit is enough to stream on hd video and browse at the same time. When I say fair I mean, that's hardly abusing the system, using it for what it's meant for, in the most basic way possible. 

Sad isn't it ? We want an basic service and they actually give us less.

We're in very delayed talks with giffgaff and although that right now is still in its infancy, at least the door is open. Most people feel it is a waste of time trying to talk with them but they have at least offered an olive branch, which is a start.

FYI, I could use 100GB in a month when I was on the truly unlimited 3 network. LImit was 1TB (1000gb) Last time I purchased £20 always on 6GB my bandwidth was finished in 5 days with zero video streams. NOT what the technology is supposed to be at all.

Get your GiffGaff sim - Click HERE
Please remember to give kudos and best answers.
Message 2 of 16
by: k89bpa
on: 25/08/2016 | 01:43
@bantonm

You can't tether on the Three PAYG unlimited plan, only on contract when it comes to the AYCE data packages, (possibly the others too, I haven't checked)

In answer to the OP question though, because giffgaff said so basiclally.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 3 of 16
by: bantonm
on: 25/08/2016 | 01:49

@k89bpa  thanks for correcting that info. 

Get your GiffGaff sim - Click HERE
Please remember to give kudos and best answers.
Message 4 of 16
by: jimfraegala
on: 25/08/2016 | 07:54

I read so many posts about data, tethering, unlimited, always on ......and so on, and on, and on. All it serves is to remind me why I haven't used data on my phone for years.

Instead, I use my laptop or tablet for all I need.

Got to add though, I do sympathise with you guys and the problems you have and I do hope someday, it will get sorted out and maybe then I'll go back to using it on my mobile

Jim

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 16
by: harrrrrry
on: 25/08/2016 | 09:33

Giffgaff's tethering is more lenient than most networks. You can tether on everything except the Always On, and even then it's only a problem if you continue to do so after you've passed the 6Gb limit.

Many other networks say you can't use sims intended for phones in tablets or dongles. It makes no logical sense to restrict tethering if the user has a fixed capacity bundle -- 10Gb is still 10Gb whether it's used in a phone or something else. But by requiring you to use a different sim, they can charge more for that 10Gb -- and they probably know that the few networks that allow tethering even on phone sims don't do data well enough to represent serious competition, so they can get away with charging extra for it.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 6 of 16
by: gindygoo
on: 25/08/2016 | 09:57
@harrrrrry explains it perfectly, it's because they can!
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 16
by: sarahbanahnah
on: 25/08/2016 | 10:35
It is like that wih every network to stop people misusing the data but I think this is not fair for the price you pay
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click the banner above for a free giffgaff SIM with free airtime credit of £5.
If you can't see it, then click the link below:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/sarahbanahnah
Message 8 of 16
by: navvy
on: 25/08/2016 | 15:08

Just look through the setting on Windows 10 since the Anniversary Update, and you may realise why networks don't want to allow unlimited tethering via Wi-Fi, which Windows will treat as free data that it can waste if you don't carefully set it as metered.  

Any time now you'll get another 3GB of update that you can't prevent from being downloaded, and which will reboot and install itself as soon as you leave your computer unattended for a few minutes.

You can set an "Active Period" of up to 10 hours per day, but outside of that Windows will upgrade and reset all your privacy settings so that more of your data can be wasted on lots of things like sending everything you type to Microsoft.

Windows 10 does now have the ability to show you how much data has been used by each app - I'm shocked to find I've used over 9.7GB on Chrome, on top of 6.8GB on BBC iPlayer which I'd expected.  I'm hoping that most of that data was streaming to a Chromecast within my LAN and not all chargeable data...

To see the data usage, go to Settings, Network & Internet, Data Usage, Usage details.

Hope that helps.

PS. I assume you are using the £18 goodybag, not the £15 one.  If it makes you feel better, the £20 goodybag is subject to additional Traffic Flow restrictions within the first 6GB, on top of the restrictions we all suffer.

Message 9 of 16
by: mcilwraith
on: 25/08/2016 | 15:53

there has to be a cheaper option somewhere for home broadband than spending so much on data for a phone.

personally i`d rather watch tv on a tv

Message 10 of 16