Wifi calling

Started by: computethis
On: 28/09/2018 | 09:48
Replies: 15

by: dave99
on: 29/09/2018 | 23:12 edited: 29/09/2018 | 23:13

@bill48er wrote:

@the_not_technical_ninja wrote:

that would be a good shout. Unfortunately, I don’t think it would be implemented as giffgaff piggybacks, rather than being a separate network. 

However, if you want to suggest it, make a suggestion in labs. It would certainly be a lot better than the FaceTime that iOS uses. In fact, it may even improve the connection 😀

Contribute is the correct place to thrash out an idea before posting in Labs.

Then, only after doing a search to see if it is an original idea Smiley Wink

How it Works

I do believe that O2 once had such a service but no longer - so it's unlikely that giffgaff would be doing this.

There are so many way to use data (WiFi) to message people these days, and network coverage is improving by the day, that I guess it's something that we will now never see.

o2 do offer wificalling, I think you’re confusing the old calling app called TuGo (which they stopped offering when proper wificalling was implemented) with native wificalling which is a feature built into the phones that support it.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Having said that, unfortunately o2 only offer it to their contract customers so it’s unlikely they’ll ever consider giving it to Giffgaff customers before their own PAYG customers or Tesco Mobile contract customers.

Message 11 of 16
by: 4quarrybank
on: 30/09/2018 | 15:46

It would be a welcomed addition but I can't see O2 letting Giffgaff have it

Message 12 of 16
by: ceky3
on: 02/10/2018 | 16:33
Unfortunately you are right... it would be great though and it would improve the quality of my service significantly
Message 13 of 16
by: mangowalk
on: 02/10/2018 | 18:20
Glad gg is seriously considering this!!
Message 14 of 16
by: dave99
on: 02/10/2018 | 22:09

@mangowalk wrote:

Glad gg is seriously considering this!!

Unless I’ve missed an announcement this week I’m not sure where you get that idea, GG hasn’t made any statement about considering it (and it’s outside their ability to roll out).

Until o2 allow their own payg customers and Tesco Mobile customers to use it, GG customers have no chance...

Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
by: bpg1970
on: 11/10/2018 | 15:34

I don't think Giffgaff have ruled out ever intoducing wifi/volte calling, they are governed by O2 and their strategy. Hopefully it'll see light of day in the near future if not, competitors may be picking up some more customers.

Message 16 of 16