Knowledge Base
Community

[Workshop] Are there people looking to join on a short-term basis, and what might stop them?

Started by: gary_1989
On: 15/01/2019 | 13:15
Replies: 49

by: gary_1989
handy giff-staffer

on: 15/01/2019 | 13:15 edited: 18/01/2019 | 10:49

Hi folks

I work in one of the teams here at giffgaff HQ, that’s all about inspiring new people join our lovely network and making it super-easy to do so.

We’d love to get your views, experiences and feedback on a specific topic … Here is what we’re keen to find out:

1. Are you aware of people who have at some point been visiting the UK for a short time who need a local SIM card while they visit?

2. When you go abroad, do you look for a short-term local SIM?

3. When joining a network on a short-term basis, what might be the main barriers in the joining process?

4. When joining a network on a short-term basis, does having to enter/provide registration details put you off?

All your comments would be greatly appreciated, whether it’s your own experience, feedback you’ve heard off other people or on the community.

Cheers!

Gary

giffgaff Product Owner
Message 1 of 50
by: k89bpa
on: 15/01/2019 | 14:30

1. Are you aware of people who have at some point been visiting the UK for a short time who need a local SIM card while they visit?

More usually it's been as a temporary second SIM, or as a temporary data boost when buying additional data within their contract is more expensive.

No I wouldn't as my provider has 77 countries inclusive usage, (full package usage and in country calls/texts too), for free and in another bunch it's just £6/day to use my package allowances, (incoming usage is free).

On giffgaff, if outside the EU I'd definitely grab a local SIM. 

3. When joining a network on a short-term basis, what might be the main barriers in the joining process?

None really. 

Signal and allowance is the primary concern, in a case of two or more providers providing roughly equivalent service and pricing I'd go for the one which is easiest to get up and running, (fewer hoops the better - ideally, buy SIM, buy top up, activate top up and that's it).

4. When joining a network on a short-term basis, does having to enter/provide registration details put you off?

Historically no.

These days with the constant, relentless data slurping and profiling done by companies, yes, because of how many disrespect user privacy and have scant regard for privacy laws as they know the "watchdogs" are largely toothless. 

I'll always choose companies with a clear privacy policy, who keep information collection to a minimum and who don't do any deep packet inspection over those who do wherever possible. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
For the meaning behind the codes in my posts search the code GGK-0228-2309
Message 2 of 50
by: jaymailsays
on: 15/01/2019 | 15:04

You arrive in the UK without WiFi are you going to choose giffgaff or a competitor SIM card you can instantly receive calls on without topping up?

Asda even give you ten minutes, ten texts free to get going. 

Do giffgaff really want a two week activation? Which this month could cost them £20 in promotional funding, for a £5 goodybag!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 50
by: freedmaniac
on: 15/01/2019 | 18:01

@gary_1989 wrote:

Hi folks

I work in one of the teams here at giffgaff HQ, that’s all about inspiring new people join our lovely network and making it super-easy to do so.

We’d love to get your views, experiences and feedback on a specific topic … Here is what we’re keen to find out:

1. Are you aware of people who have at some point been visiting the UK for a short time who need a local SIM card while they visit? Yes - I have used gg sims for visiting relatives.

2. When you go abroad, do you look for a short-term local SIM? If outside EU and visiting for a while, and not expecting to find free wifi then yes.

3. When joining a network on a short-term basis, what might be the main barriers in the joining process? Any long term commitment or poor reputation

4. When joining a network on a short-term basis, does having to enter/provide registration details put you off? No, it is a necessary evil these days for security

All your comments would be greatly appreciated, whether it’s your own experience, feedback you’ve heard off other people or on the community.

Cheers!

Gary

Message 4 of 50
by: inspiron42
on: 16/01/2019 | 08:21
I have switched networks to use home allowances abroad rather than get a local SIM. It is disappointing that giffgaff only recognise 27 countries, out if c200.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 50
by: rqt
on: 16/01/2019 | 09:13 edited: 16/01/2019 | 09:20

"3. When joining a network on a short-term basis, what might be the main barriers in the joining process?"

Anyone who sees any of the H&S posts about giffgaff setting up unwanted recurring goodybags for visitors & the difficulty of them then cancelling this non-required "service" would probably be sufficiently discouraged to go elsewhere.

Message 6 of 50
by: tradertall
on: 16/01/2019 | 09:31

@gary_1989 wrote:

1. erasmus students in the UK for 3, 6 or 12 months

2. not unless it's for 3 months+

3. credit check / lack of local credit history

4. yes

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 50
on: 16/01/2019 | 09:33

@inspiron42 wrote:

I have switched networks to use home allowances abroad rather than get a local SIM. It is disappointing that giffgaff only recognise 27 countries, out if c200.

It was an EU directive for the entire community of 28 plus the selected individual areas.

Otherwise RLAH would never have been initiated by gg, in my view.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 50
by: harrrrrry
on: 16/01/2019 | 09:39 edited: 16/01/2019 | 09:40

@gary_1989

I have answered several help forum questions from potential or actual new members.

Some of the problems they had:

• understanding whether they should use a goodybag, PAYG credit or both
  • their first usage (even if just for testing) would be in an EU/EEA country, but they didn't understand that goodybags only fully fund service there if they have recent UK service
  • misunderstanding the EU roaming indicator -- EU roaming never gets turned off, only the ability to fully fund the service from a goodybag, but they're still able to pay the supplement (if they have a goodybag) or use PAYG rates
  • it's not helped by some members wrongly describing the roaming indicator a switch they should turn on, which is not possible 
  • keeping their sim active (to keep the same number) between consecutive annual visits may be difficult from overseas. Ofcom might frown on anything that automates keeping their number, but we ought to be able to find a way that they can at least keep any remaining PAYG credit for up to 2 years -- if nothing else, that encourages them to come back to giffgaff rather than looking at other networks. And a simple way to reactivate their present sim and get a new number on it would help them as well. Actually, those two ideas would be good for UK users too.
  • ideally, they should be able to buy their goodybag, activate their sim a week or two before travelling, test it for a day or two and then put their goodybag "on hold" until the day they depart. That ought to be fully practical within EU/EEA but might be too expensive for giffgaff to allow rest of world testing from a goodybag.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 9 of 50
on: 16/01/2019 | 10:15 edited: 17/01/2019 | 16:55

@harrrrrry On the subject of losing airtime credit due to a SIM left unused for more than 6 months, giffgaff send a warning text and email before disconnecting any number. What more can they do, given Ofcom's stance. 

When I pay for two hours parking but only use an hour, they do not offer me a refund or say we will give you an hours credit when you park here in 6 months time!

You use it or lose it. Most travellers are sensible enough to budget their payments in all sorts of areas.

The accidental recur for an unneeded  goodybag is however one of the most often seen help requests. If that aspect of setting up an account could be addressed properly, the pressure on agent's time would be alleviated, to some degree.

@harrrrrry wrote: 

• their first usage (even if just for testing) would be in an EU/EEA country, but they didn't understand that goodybags only fully fund service there if they have recent UK service

That is no longer the situation. 

All newly activated Sims in the EU/EEA with a goodybag, Can use the allowances for at least 14 days while roaming.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 50