Knowledge Base
Community

eBay Gaff!

Started by: rjheald
On: 19/08/2010 | 19:58
Replies: 10

by: rjheald
on: 19/08/2010 | 19:58

Was just admiring a giffgaff advert on eBay when I noticed it said "giffgaff calls only 4p"

The advert was talking about texts and highlighted that the other networks charge 10p for texts but it actually said calls.

Is this a gaff or are we going to get 4p calls?

For a free sim with £5 credit click here
To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
Message 1 of 11
by: versp
on: 19/08/2010 | 20:11

Must be a mistake as texts are 4p. Calls are 8p.

Seeing as we don't advertise, this must be a mistake by someone who did this.

- - -
Wanna hear more from me? I'm @verspasian on Twitter.
Message 2 of 11
by: canary1
on: 19/08/2010 | 20:18 edited: 19/08/2010 | 20:20

Seems more likely someone is trying to make money by advertising sims and then hoping the buyer activates them. Guess they have got the rates wrong.

Message 3 of 11
by: panther97
on: 19/08/2010 | 20:39

It's a mistake, I saw an o2 ad on ebay for 1p min calls. They just get muddeled all up!!

Message 4 of 11
by: teajayy
on: 19/08/2010 | 21:13

@panther97 wrote:

It's a mistake, I saw an o2 ad on ebay for 1p min calls. They just get muddeled all up!!

More likely it's a ploy like has been mentioned to get people to buy Sim cards. Maybe if this is the case GG should ask people activating these Sims where they bought them, if it's from the likes of Ebay the person selling it shouldn't get any credits for selling it!

Message 5 of 11
by: bmjt
on: 20/08/2010 | 20:58

Can't really see that being upheld, seeing as they are actually helping to promote GiffGaff and increase the number of users. 

Message 6 of 11
by: plarkster
on: 20/08/2010 | 21:29

@teajayy wrote:

@panther97 wrote:

More likely it's a ploy like has been mentioned to get people to buy Sim cards. Maybe if this is the case GG should ask people activating these Sims where they bought them, if it's from the likes of Ebay the person selling it shouldn't get any credits for selling it!

I haven't seen the actual ad, but it's down to the people buying them to check the rates for themselves and they are clearly shown on the site which they'll visit to activate the sim.  Also, most of the sims sell for 1p so it's not like they're making money from them, it's just another method to reach people for referral points.

End result: more people coming to giffgaff as bmjt said which will make giffgaff more sustainable.

Message 7 of 11
by: rjheald
on: 21/08/2010 | 03:09

Just to be clear I'm not talking about somebody selling a giffgaff sim on eBay - I'm talking about an advert that is showing on eBay's pages.

For a free sim with £5 credit click here
To switch signatures off go to My Community Settings>Preferences and remove the tick from View signatures in posts.
Message 8 of 11
by: bmjt
on: 21/08/2010 | 09:19

Ah right, well that does seem a bit more terminal.

Message 9 of 11
by: petext200
on: 24/10/2010 | 00:42
Well even if the rates on the advert are wrong, people may come to the giffgaff website, notice the cheaper rates and want to join anyway, despite the incorrect information on the advert... optimistic, but I can easily see myself (if I wasn't already a very happy user), and many others doing so.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 11