Knowledge Base
Community

giffgaff and Skype - looks like it's not just giffgaff, it's O2 (possible Net Neutrality breach?)

Started by: glaswegianeric
On: 21/10/2018 | 06:40
Replies: 92

by: glaswegianeric
on: 21/10/2018 | 06:40 edited: 21/10/2018 | 06:52

So, the same old, same old problem with giffgaff and Skype turns out to be not just giffgaff-specific.

The problem, as I've said many times, occurs when you try calling an international number via Skype using giffgaff as your data provider. The other party can hear you but you can't hear the other party. Once you switch VPN on, all is fine.

Trying to resolve it with giffgaff got me quite a few grey hairs - swap a sim, order a new sim, jump on your left foot... The fact that everything works just fine via VPN connection (same sim, same device, etc.) was conveniently ignored - scripts are über alles.

Then I come across this - https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/Problem-with-4g-connection/td-p/1086684

The very same problem reported by an O2 customer.

So, it does look like there's some traffic shaping happening on a higher level (O2) that potentially affects their MVNOs and if that's the case, I wonder whether this would be in breach of Net Neutrality rules.

Time for another round of investigations methinks Smiley Happy.

Message 1 of 93
by: persco
on: 21/10/2018 | 09:47

With the data speeds you reported though, I don’t think there is any reason to believe you will get clear signal and good enough data speeds to get a good connection through Skype. That is why agents are struggling to explain how to troubleshoot. Or maybe you are right at o2 level and giffgaff just isn’t aware?

The underlying issue I believe is that your speeds aren’t good enough. I may be wrong  

Now what I struggle to get my head around it is your claim that a VPN enabled clears this issue. May I ask where you set to vpn location to? With vpn enabled what speeds do you get for data downloads?

Would be interesting to see what your further investigation comes up with. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 09:52
@persco no, it's not speeds. I did report poor speeds but it doesn't mean these speeds are poor everywhere and all the time - giffgaff normally stops speed restrictions after about 7-8PM but the Skype issue is there regardless.

And then, of course, that O2 customer reporting the same issue (see my link).
Message 3 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 09:54
@persco I've just actually tested this on O2 Pay&Go sim - same story. And with VPN on, the issue goes away.
Message 4 of 93
Highlighted
on: 21/10/2018 | 09:59

Screenshot_20181021-095616.png

These are the speeds now. Pretty poor and obviously throttled but more than enough for a Skype audio call 

Message 5 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 10:05

Where do you set VPN to? UK or abroad?

Just trying to figure out how VPN makes the difference. 

Have you tried this this in a different phone? @glaswegianeric

Message 6 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 10:11
@persco VPN makes a difference because to O2 all traffic looks "neutral" whent it's on, it can't distinguish Skype traffic from web browsing or messaging, neither can tell which apps or services are generating the traffic.

Whether the VPN is set to UK or abroad, doesn't matter in this instance.
Message 7 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 10:12
@persco tried it in different phones, both iOS and Android. This problem is quite old.
Message 8 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 10:21

@glaswegianeric wrote:

@persco VPN makes a difference because to O2 all traffic looks "neutral" whent it's on, it can't distinguish Skype traffic from web browsing or messaging, neither can tell which apps or services are generating the traffic.

Whether the VPN is set to UK or abroad, doesn't matter in this instance.

I am aware but question is why you can hear them and they can’t hear you. If a call comes through on skype without vpn do you hear them ok or same problem?

I would assume messaging works fine as not audio even though still Skype traffic? Are video calls fine or same problem?

Message 9 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 10:22

I will try this as well when my goodybag renews as am nearly out. 

Message 10 of 93