Knowledge Base
Community

giffgaff and Skype - looks like it's not just giffgaff, it's O2 (possible Net Neutrality breach?)

Started by: glaswegianeric
On: 21/10/2018 | 06:40
Replies: 92

by: persco
on: 21/10/2018 | 18:52

@shabazmoqsud Would you mind trying out Skype using your giffgaff sim please if any of your contacts have Skype in Pakistan as well?

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 21 of 93
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 21/10/2018 | 18:53

@persco wrote:

@shabazmoqsud Would you mind trying out Skype using your giffgaff sim please if any of your contacts have Skype in Pakistan as well?

@persco i will try and update here what the results are

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 22 of 93
by: k89bpa
on: 21/10/2018 | 18:54

Thanks @shabazmoqsud.

For me that makes it pretty conclusive that it's down to a Telefonica traffic shaping botch job, (or maybe it's deliberate), because if they were targeting voip specifically it would affect all VoIP connections/traffic, (unless there's some partnership we don't know about giving some a free ride). 

So no, not a net neutrality issue, just your bog standard traffic management foul up, the likes of which we've been seeing since ADSL first became a thing. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 23 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 18:57

@k89bpa wrote:

Thanks @shabazmoqsud.

For me that makes it pretty conclusive that it's down to a Telefonica traffic shaping botch job, (or maybe it's deliberate), because if they were targeting voip specifically it would affect all VoIP connections/traffic, (unless there's some partnership we don't know about giving some a free ride). 

So no, not a net neutrality issue, just your bog standard traffic management foul up, the likes of which we've been seeing since ADSL first became a thing. 

Thats what am thinking as well. My goodybag renews next week. Will try this out as well. 

Message 24 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 19:03
@persco it's either that or the VoIP gateway Skype is using to connect to PSTN in the country the OP is calling.

If it's affecting Skype to Skype calls too though, then it's definitely a Telefonica botch job.
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 25 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 19:04

@persco @k89bpa @glaswegianeric @techiebloke

So i just tried calling Pakistan via skype on my giffgaff sim

I get the same issue as @glaswegianeric everything works fine on vpn i use cyberghost set as UK or abroad but on wifi or mobile data thats for audio calls 

Video calls dont work at all

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 26 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 19:09

@shabazmoqsud thank you!

That proves it. 

Telefonica traffic management/firewall botch job it is.

I wonder if someone just forgot to update the configuration file from the bad old days when VoIP blocking was pretty standard on mobile data connections, Skype was pretty much the only one people used back then and they all blocked it other then Three of course who embraced it via their special version. 

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 27 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 19:13

So what would the fix be just not use skype?

What if O2 later block for all Voip apps

Personally i think that is why giffgaff need to offer wifi calling.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 28 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 19:16

@paul_d_ and @dez_d probably pushing it but could one of you check this out with the engineers for us please since op is going round in circles with agents and probably beyond their remit with the suggestions they’ve give op. 

Thank you. 

Message 29 of 93
on: 21/10/2018 | 19:23

@shabazmoqsud wrote:

So what would the fix be just not use skype?

Yep, or use it behind a VPN connection until someone realises that they've messed up at a network level and fixes it. 

I mean it might be something else, especially as the Skype backend has changed as I think techie pointed out earlier but I'd think it's extremely unlikely to be that. 

As for other blocks being introduced, I'd say very unlikely, if this is a Skype block as it appears to be, then it's probably just an old configuration that has carried over to today from when Skype was deliberately blocked by all the networks apart from Three. 

It would be a brave network introducing VoIP blocks in this day and age, the world is dramatically different to how it used to be.

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 30 of 93