Knowledge Base
Community

giffgaff home broadband without a land line number

Started by: kathleen414
On: 03/04/2015 | 19:54
Replies: 97

by: alantony1
on: 21/11/2017 | 18:34

Good evening,I've trawled through endless sites looking for a provider who will just give me broadband without the phone line and to be honest there's no point at the moment. Even when you do find one there's no difference in price.At the moment I'm with the post office broadband £19.00 pound a month unlimited broadband and phone line,which is never used it really annoys me paying for something that i don't use or need. Alan 

Message 91 of 98
by: lynmouth1
on: 21/11/2017 | 19:45
Hi although this would not be a suitable solution for heavy broadband users, I am considering replacing my landline and associated broadband with a regular £20 'always on' goodybag. I find that, used in conjunction with my smartphone hotspot, I can do most of what I do with broadband, including BBC iplayer and ITV player etc.This has only become practicable for me now that tethering is allowed at all times. Even when the 9 GB full speed allocation has been used, the reduced speed of 384 kb/sec should be fine for routine use (excluding video streaming and similar heavy uses). Then, of course, full speed returns from midnight to 8am (for night owls lol). With the cost of a landline now approaching the £20 cost of the goodybag, I think it should be a practical solution for some.
Message 92 of 98
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 14/06/2018 | 14:41

@lynmouth1 

That could be a good option

Message 93 of 98
by: eddie08923
on: 08/10/2018 | 10:17

Could you put me in touch with the broadband people

Message 94 of 98
by: harrrrrry
on: 08/10/2018 | 10:40

@eddie08923

Like many of the threads in Contribute, this is discussion about an idea for the future, not an available product or even one that is proposed. Giffgaff does not provide landline broadband, with or without a phone number.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 95 of 98
by: sandramoakley6
on: 10/10/2018 | 09:33

nice idea.. but how are you going to get the data to the house with out a land line

Option 1) moble phone ..nice idea so lets build say 50 to 100 thousand moble phone masts . 

think there might be a few complaints

option 2) microwave links ...Expensive and line of sight

Option 3) sat link .. works ..very expensive

option 4) magic.. well many people have no idea how the the suff on their screen gets there 

option 5) large area wifi... been trialed but sort of fell of the radar

so back to moblie sim based broad band . why not.. well im on talktalk and with tv via internet i typicaly get through 600 to 800 gig of data a month.  now the problem with mobile masts they are great for talking to people on as you can cram an awful lot of voice data on a fiber link to mobile tower..the problem starts when data comes along.  try puting 100 users on your wifi at home and your speed plumits.same with moblie towers.

Message 96 of 98
Highlighted
by: janny27
on: 11/10/2018 | 08:18
Sounds a great idea but I think it could be quite some time before it could happen.
Message 97 of 98
by: goonerx2
on: 13/10/2018 | 11:26
Having to have a landline really bugs me only two people ever contact me on my landline and I never make calls from it.
Message 98 of 98