On: 10/09/2015 | 11:45
Replies: 38

by: albeit
on: 16/09/2015 | 09:41

No, never heard of. Tell me more

Message 31 of 39
by: albeit
on: 16/09/2015 | 09:52

When o2 gets finally acquired by 3 then Giffgaff won' be able to compete with 4G unlimited data at no cost(at normal speeds)+150MB of free allowance and much lower pay as you go rates 3 currently offering. So it could be the end or their profits will be considerably declining. Payback won't hold the customers. Just a thought

Message 32 of 39
by: gwpreston
on: 16/09/2015 | 10:42
Then it would really be the people's company 😀
Message 33 of 39
by: vihanta
on: 16/09/2015 | 11:22
IMHO 3 are unlikely to close down giffgaff while it's profitable or while the brand has value. They might move everyone over to the 3 network, which might be a problem if your phone is locked to O2. Of course 3 will need to solve this problem for any O2 customers they get, so hopefully it won't be an issue. It would be nice if gg stays fundamentally the same (but with better data, of course). I had a problem a while back with CPW, they moved to a different network operator, closed down everyone's existing accounts & tried to pocket the balance left in the closed accounts. So I'll be watching things very carefully indeed.
Message 34 of 39
by: ickl101
on: 16/09/2015 | 12:02
@vihanta said "IMHO 3 are unlikely to close down giffgaff while it's profitable or while the brand has value" The problem is what may be profitable now under O2 MVNO model may not be profitable under Three's MVNO business model. There's a reason more MVNO's go to O2 and a large part of that is lower cost of things like data. As for brand value I'm not sure what that is with regard to "giffgaff" beyond its association as a Telefonica brand.
Message 35 of 39
by: princessanna345
on: 16/09/2015 | 19:19
It will be like everything a matter of
Message 36 of 39
by: bill48er
on: 18/09/2015 | 13:27

What has to be remembered is that any changes will not happen overnight.

Merging the "front deck" and "sales" is one thing, but switching everyone to the 3 phone network is not going to happen in an instant.

Just imagine what would happen to the 3 data bandwidth if all O2 customers were suddenly given access to it - you may think giffgaff speeds are bad now......

All those O2 masts and transmitters will still be in the same places, still carrying the O2 customers calls and data.

They will not magically be upgraded to carry the same technology as the newer 3 masts.

Because O2 has a larger area coverage, what is likely to happen is that 3 customers will be given access O2 masts.

Then later O2 customers will be able to use 3 masts in locations where the 3 signal is stronger than that of O2.

It will take time and a lot of money to make the present 3 technology universally available, and remember 3 have just spent a large amount of money just to buy the O2 network (if the deal goes through).

Further investment will not be high on the agenda as they will need to see some return on that initial investment used to buy O2.

So.... relax, don't panic, no one knows what 3's plans are.

They will have a large market share and they will decide how to target different market sectors, just as O2 did when giffgaff was launched.

There will be different packages available to suit different user requirements.

We will just have to wait and see what the future will hold, no amount of speculation here will make any difference to the final outcome.

Forum Etiquette: If a post answers your question please accept it as "Best Answer" so that others may find it.
Give KUDOS if you like what you read!
Click this link to request a free giffgaff SIM card with £5 free credit on activation.
Message 37 of 39
by: pawelm4778
on: 18/09/2015 | 13:47
No one knows what 3's plans are ( except me but I'm not allowed to share. Lol) but the discussion is very interesting and my knowledge about 3 and O2 and gg is much greater and I see the light on the end of the tunel. Changes will be everyone agree. Giffgaff will be still alive in my opinion but still on the same quality services and maybe more expensive ( without payback for example but it will not be fair). I have a Sky TV the highest packet ( I was wrong) and because BT has own sports programmes and bought right to Champions League and Europa League and some Barclay League I have a dilemma: add £15 more and have those sports channel or change Sky for BT. So we must wait wait and wait.....
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 38 of 39
Highlighted
by: ickl101
on: 18/09/2015 | 13:51

@bill48er said "Because O2 has a larger area coverage, what is likely to happen is that 3 customers will be given access O2 masts."

Three claims to already cover 98% UK population coverage with at least HSPA+ (3G) what % does O2 cover ?

Also Three has just launched VoLTE to allow voice over 4G on its 800MHz 4G spectrum to reach deeper and further than before.

I agree changes to the physical network will take time but closing a virtual brand and/or "inviting" cough its customers to use a new offering can be done pretty quickly.  

Message 39 of 39