Knowledge Base
Community

giffgaff launches mapping tool to find and catch Pokémon in the UK

Started by: woodyuk
On: 18/07/2016 | 12:06
Replies: 16

by: woodyuk
on: 18/07/2016 | 12:06

It's all over social media at the moment that giffgaff teamed up with what3words to launch a tool to aid UK Pokemeon players,I'm surprised there hasn't been a big announcement here in the community.

Details from androidcentral here:-

http://www.androidcentral.com/giffgaff-launches-mapping-tool-find-and-catch-pokemon-uk?utm_source=fe...

and you can find the tool using your browser here:-

https://findcatchshare.com/

I for one think this could be a PR masterstroke but given that there are plenty of reported cases of members not being able to play the game via their giffgaff data connection (see thread below)it looks like it could go one of two ways.

1,using the tool is lighter on resources so makes it easier for members to play the game using giffgaff because they only have to open the game when they get to a location given by the tool.

2,members end up using both the game and tool and the same time which will just compound the problem that many are already having.

We shall have to wait and see which happens.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Pokemon-Go-highlights-poor-giffgaff-data-speeds/td-p/18...

Message 1 of 17
by: terran_federation
on: 18/07/2016 | 12:21
Can we have a giffgaff app to find a data signal that works?
For a free giffgaff SIM with £5 of FREE credit, click here
Message 2 of 17
by: shortylumber
on: 18/07/2016 | 12:26
Is it just me or does that map take sometime to work properly on a mobile browser?

Tried on stock and chrome but it's very slow to respond if it responds at all, this is via WiFi as well
Message 3 of 17
on: 18/07/2016 | 12:36 edited: 18/07/2016 | 12:37

@shortylumber,I haven't tried it yet but given the amount of coverage this launch is getting at Twitter at the moment their servers could be really busy with people trying it out.

Another thought crossed my mind though,the plan is that players finding Pokemon will broadcast their location via Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #findcatchshare and they will be added to the map so this sits very welll with the whole giffgaff ethos as it's all about helping each other.

So,this could mean users are running Pokemon Go,the giffaff tool plus Twitter and /or Instagram at the same time all via their giffgaff data connection.Hmm.........

Message 4 of 17
by: cupcake_sausage
on: 18/07/2016 | 12:38

shortylumber wrote:

Is it just me or does that map take sometime to work properly on a mobile browser?

Tried on stock and chrome but it's very slow to respond if it responds at all, this is via WiFi as well

I just had a look and it seemed okay on my phone using Opera mini, on my wifi 

Message 5 of 17
by: shortylumber
on: 18/07/2016 | 12:56
@woodyuk good point, I'll try again later in that case just to see.
And you do indeed raise a valid point, increased data usage/traffic will not help with the issue you raised on your other thread.

@cupcake_sausage - thanks for that. I have a third browser to try from so will try it again later from that
Message 6 of 17
by: scrappydez
on: 18/07/2016 | 17:00

This is brilliant, thanks for the link @woodyuk

Get your SIM delivered today by 1st Class Post, yeah boy.
Message 7 of 17
by: danshevik
on: 18/07/2016 | 20:56

Reading that press release, I'm puzzled why their isn't a stickied Pokemon Go thread on the forum, or by 'community' do they mean on twitter?

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane.
Message 8 of 17
on: 18/07/2016 | 21:01

danshevik wrote:

Reading that press release, I'm puzzled why their isn't a stickied Pokemon Go thread on the forum, or by 'community' do they mean on twitter?

@danshevik I couldn't understand that either which is what prompted me to start this thread.

Twitter was absolutely awash with references to the tool so I thought "I'll have a look at the announcement thread from giffgaff about it"just to find there wasn't one.Very strange.

Message 9 of 17
by: mcilwraith
on: 19/07/2016 | 00:08

Whats pokemon?

Message 10 of 17