Community

giffgaff's slowed up.....

Started by: tina66
On: 12/01/2019 | 02:40
Replies: 26

by: k89bpa
on: 14/01/2019 | 17:06
That's another reason why I say you need to "try before you buy" @tina66

What device do you have out of curiosity? We can check to see if your device is already 4G+ compatible by checking the bands available and whether or not it has carrier aggregation functionality built in.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 21 of 27
by: tina66
on: 15/01/2019 | 00:16
@k89bpa I've got a Sony Xperia XZ Premium running Android 9.
Thank you 😇
Tina
- - ❌ - -
Message 22 of 27
on: 15/01/2019 | 02:11
That phone is 4G+ compatible @tina66, (two pipes to continue with the same analogy as before).

It supports all the O2 bands, (1,3, 20 & 40), so you should be seeing 4G+ in areas which have been upgraded.

Possibly you may have to enable it in the settings menu, (there's a chance that it's not enabled by default), so you might wanna poke around in the network settings. I know on Huawei phones it can be enabled and disabled by the end user under an option called "LTE high speed mode").

I find it unlikely that this isn't enabled by default though, it is much more likely that your mast/area has not yet been upgraded for 4G+ which unfortunately means that you'll likely have to wait until this is done before you'll see an improvement.

The good news is that when you're in a 4G+ enabled area and connected to an upgraded mast you will see better speeds, but obviously that doesn't help you at home for now.

It might be worth perusing the O2 forums and the Digital Spy specific mobile forums to see if there is any news about your area and upgrade work, (if people are reporting upgrades, then perhaps you need to update your phones software - again unlikely as automatic updates are likely to have been the default setting on your device).

Please don't publicly share your post code/location when investigating though, unless you're speaking privately with a giffgaff or O2 paid staff member.

You may be able to contact O2 support to query network upgrades in your area as a giffgaff customer, but most likely you'll be bounced back to giffgaff, (it might be worth grabbing an O2 PAYG SIM card if you wanna start asking O2 directly, or perhaps you can blag some information from them by pretending to be one and contacting them via social media - or you can try the agents here and see if they have any information to share about network upgrades).

That's about as far as I can take you unfortunately, someone else may be able to jump in at this point with further assistance, but failing that, it's tech/network support with either giffgaff or O2 technicians, or simply waiting it out I'm afraid.

Message 23 of 27
on: 15/01/2019 | 02:55
@k89bpa Thanks for the info. We have an 02 store in the town where I live so I could go in and ask them about the 4G+ situation.... 😉
Tina
- - ❌ - -
Message 24 of 27
on: 15/01/2019 | 06:04
Even better @tina66!

Best of luck! :-)

Message 25 of 27
by: bains60
on: 15/01/2019 | 07:06
Have you tried the sim in another phone to rule out a phone fault
Message 26 of 27
Highlighted
on: 15/01/2019 | 22:10

@bains60 wrote:

Have you tried the sim in another phone to rule out a phone fault

@bains60 I know for a fact that it's not my phone for a number of reasons. As I mentioned earlier I have been with giffgaff for six years or so and the signal was always really good, to the extent of being better than the BT Wifi I was using at the time and my sons Plusnet broadband. Over the years I have owned various phones and the signal was excellent with all of them... up until just under a year ago (I think) (^_-)  I am seriously considering moving to another network although I really don't want to have to ☹️

Tina
- - ❌ - -
Message 27 of 27