Knowledge Base
Community

giffgaff's slowed up.....

Started by: tina66
On: 12/01/2019 | 02:40
Replies: 26

by: tina66
on: 12/01/2019 | 02:40

giffgaff's internet is a lot slower now than it was when I first joined 6 years ago, it seems. I've noticed over the last year that its been at its worst so was wondering if any other long time gg users have been experiencing the same slow speeds as me in comparison to the earlier days of gg?

When mentioning this to a friend recently they suggested that maybe it's because a lot more people are using giffgaff now than before 🤔

TINA
-?⭐-
Message 1 of 27
by: persco
on: 12/01/2019 | 03:24

Mine has increased to 20’s mbps from 3-4mbps about 4/5 years ago. 

A number of things could be the reason and one could be congestion in your area as your friend alluded to. Which, if that’s the case, there isn’t much you can do really unless o2 increases capacity in your area. 

But there are a few things you can try on your phone side. First check link below for any ongoing issues with network in your area

Otherwise try rebooting your phone. It can be fixed that way sometimes. Or you can do a manual roam. See here for instructions

If that doesn't work, turn your phone off, remove your sim altogether and wait a couple of seconds and put back in and switch it on again to see if it fixes it.

If none of above helps, look to reset your network settings. If you provide make and model of your phone we can help with instructions or just google it. 

Last I can think of is doing a sim swap to a fresh sim to see if that helps with speeds if you have an old sim. To do that, simply order a new 3-in-1 'trio' sim (Mini/Micro/Nano all in one) which are 4g/3G/2G compatible.

Order a sim here

and when it arrives,

Use sim swap to swap your current account and credits/balance in it to new sim. 

NB: Please make sure you are logged into account you want to do the sim swap on. Very important. 

PS- Please backup all your contacts or write them down before proceeding with sim swap as your contacts won't transfer as part of the swap. 

Hope above helps. If not, you just have to look at other options/networks really If affecting you negatively. 
Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 27
on: 12/01/2019 | 03:44

@persco Thanks for taking the time to reply but you needn't of gone to that much trouble 😉

I have already tried everything you suggested numerous times and recently thought about doing the sim swap. I do intend trying this now as you've suggested that it may help 😁

TINA
-?⭐-
Message 3 of 27
on: 12/01/2019 | 03:48
@persco Btw I forgot to mention that I have a few gg sims here already.
TINA
-?⭐-
Message 4 of 27
on: 12/01/2019 | 03:51

@tina66 wrote:

@persco Btw I forgot to mention that I have a few gg sims here already.

Perfect @tina66. If those sim are recent, crack on with sim swap to try. 

Apologies, didn’t know you had tried all those troubleshooting tips. 

By the way. What kinds of speeds are you getting these days?

Message 5 of 27
on: 12/01/2019 | 04:02

@persco wrote:

By the way. What kinds of speeds are you getting these days?

It varies from around 5.2mbps up to 36.3mbps depending on the time of day. 

TINA
-?⭐-
Message 6 of 27
on: 12/01/2019 | 04:41

Oh. Never had the high ends you are getting before. Ever! 😂 See If Sim swap stabilises it but with such variation though, I feel it points to congestion 

Message 7 of 27
by: masterluke
on: 12/01/2019 | 09:25

Can't we be spared the copy & paste jobs in Contribute at least @persco? This isn't the help section.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 27
on: 12/01/2019 | 10:46

@masterluke Based on the OP what have you got to add? Would be interesting to know your response to the OP. 

What you said doesnt address op issue or even if you feel this should be in ‘contribute’ has no input to it. I addressed the issue and also tried help. Let’s hear yours. 

Message 9 of 27
by: richfc
on: 12/01/2019 | 12:33

Mines was like that a few days ago but seems to have sorted itself out now

Message 10 of 27