Community

losing payback?

Started by: bogacot
On: 13/01/2019 | 21:42
Replies: 22

Go to best answer
by: bogacot
on: 13/01/2019 | 21:42

Hello everyone, I'm new to the community, so if this subject has been brought up before I'm sorry. I did have a quick look through and didn't find anything. I just wanted to say that I think it's a great shame that under 16's won't be able to get payback from now on. Under 16's are often (annoyingly) full of bright ideas and great with technology. Therefore I think they can be very useful in Help & Support and their votes in Labs are as valid as an adult's. I'm sure there are lots of parents out there that will really suffer from their youngsters not being able to cover the cost of their data, texts e.t.c. with payback and will now have to pay it for them.

Nevertheless this is the case. My worry is how proof of being 16 will be accepted. 16 year olds do not have driving licenses and many will not have a passport. We have to remember Giffgaff is (although quality) a budget provider, so many people using the network won't have a passport as they couldn't afford one. I'm hoping that Giffgaff will accept the time honoured way of proving that one is 16, that is a national insurance number. Please take this into account because this change could affect so many people and Giffgaff themselves as without payback there are many providers out there that look way more attractive!

Message 1 of 23
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: ujo55
on: 13/01/2019 | 22:41
@bogacot
Yes there was a very significant amount of discussion on the subject when it was first announced.
For the moment as I understand it, it is purely a tick box system to confirm the member is over 16, with no documentation being required.
Message 2 of 23
by: ujo55
on: 13/01/2019 | 22:41
@bogacot
Yes there was a very significant amount of discussion on the subject when it was first announced.
For the moment as I understand it, it is purely a tick box system to confirm the member is over 16, with no documentation being required.
Message 2 of 23
by: karenyates
on: 14/01/2019 | 00:10

@bogacot

You've put such a reasoned argument as to why they should receive payback,that it seems really unfair for under 16s ,who contribute in a mature way,to be treated differently than over 16s.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 23
by: revjonty
on: 14/01/2019 | 04:18
You get a NI number before you're 16, a month or two if I recall.

I also recall my NI card not being accepted as proof of age when I wanted to buy cigs (back when 16 was the age). Funnily enough in a shop that had been selling me cigs for several years before.

The big problem with allowing under 16s to earn payback is child labour legislation. Although I'm sure if the likes of Jacob Reese Mog get their way, that will be overturned, and there'll be children up chimneys, and down pits, earning a pittance like the "good ol' days" once more.

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 23
Highlighted
by: inspiron42
on: 14/01/2019 | 08:30
It is very counter productive to deny payback to under 16s.

There was a coffee machine in a restaurant with a sign that restricted use to over 16s. I asked a 14 year old who uses the same machine at work, how to use it. This is just one example. We can all quote many.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 23
by: giffgaff20147
on: 14/01/2019 | 11:34

@bogacot

Hello the way I understand it there have been complaints from parents about under 16 s spending to much time earning and spending to much time on here 

so it’s being bought in to prove or at least tick a box saying you over 16 

i like you think new younger members is a good thing and I have seen nothing to show they are not doing there best ,

its really upto parents I think if PayPal is not on the teenagers account they can only get credit so really can’t spend it ,

at least if they are on giffgaff they are not on some dangerous social chat room 

Message 6 of 23
by: endorphin
on: 15/01/2019 | 11:20

Hi @bogacot the thread for commenting on this change is here https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/An-update-coming-to-Payback-in-December-2018/td-p/22...

Note at the moment that age verification is by ticking a box.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 7 of 23
by: mij_sky
on: 15/01/2019 | 12:13
giffgaff to work hard to help all these issues ,,, sorry for that incoveince
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 23
by: sandramoakley6
on: 15/01/2019 | 22:54
i find it ludicrous that my 13 year old granddaughter has a paper round and can quite LEGALLY earn MONEY but she id discriminated due to her age bye giffgaff.
Message 9 of 23
by: tradertall
on: 16/01/2019 | 09:29
i think giffgaff has given up on this age limit
i certainly have not been asked to confirm my age
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 23