Knowledge Base
Community

unlocking HTC Desire

Started by: peranaman
On: 20/10/2010 | 12:57
Replies: 4

by: peranaman
on: 20/10/2010 | 12:57

Well I bought my new HTC Desire a couple of weeks ago. It was locked to Orange.

I want to use a GiffGaff SIM only package. And so began the endless trawling of Internet sites about unlocking the HTC Desire.

It was mind boggling and constant warnings about dodgy unlock sites and destroyed phones etc.

I also explored the 'local' market place unlock folk - got prices varying between £20 and £40.

Tried HTC and they said they do no such service. Orange only do a limited service with a wait time of 3 months on some phones.

Found a site called gsmliberty.net. Firstly they had instant Chat window to 'speak' with a Technician. Answered all my questions straight away.

The price quoted was £9.70 - via Paypal or Credit card.

So, took the plunge - and after 3 confirmation emails I got my unlock code within 30 mins.

Tried an out of date/credit O2 SIM and tested the unlock code. Worked first time.

Just waiting for the GiffGaff SIM and I'll update you later.

Is it worth it? Well, having seen the stress and messed up phones that people have suffered trying to DIY an unlock code - £9.70 seems a gift.

I will look at unbranding later but this looks to be a succes so far.

Hope this helps people - pass it on if you wish. w ww.gsmliberty.net

Message 1 of 5
by: bloobloo
on: 20/10/2010 | 13:11

Another option is the xda developers website. a quick read through the subforums on there and you will find full tutorials aswell as software to do this yourself saving yourself a few quid in the process.

seems daunting at first, but if you follow the instructions its surprisingly easy. I have had a few HTC's and all have managed to be unlocked and rooted via software and tutorials from xda developers.

Not much use to you now, but one for the future if you need help with things!

Bloo

Ps. just read about your unbranding...... check it out on xda

Message 2 of 5
by: bloobloo
on: 20/10/2010 | 13:47
just noticed this thread too, no need for xda lol

check it out it seems to be just what your looking for and its here on GG

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Other-Off-Topic/Debranding-Unlocking-an-HTC-Desire/td-p/23317

Enjoy and good luck

Bloo
Message 3 of 5
by: uhmhi
on: 20/10/2010 | 14:15
I'm glad you actually managed to find something so cheap! I'm really fortunate in the sense that I got my phone from the Carphone Warehouse Smiley Tongue
Message 4 of 5
by: peranaman
on: 24/10/2010 | 11:32

I would have bought an unlocked HTC Desire from CPW BUT it would have cost me over £100 more to but. - I paid 265 for the phone and 9.70 on the unlock - bargain for me.

Thanks for some ideas on unbranding everyone.

Message 5 of 5