Community

voicemail

Started by: brownie14
On: 04/01/2015 | 09:47
Replies: 10

Go to best answer
by: brownie14
on: 04/01/2015 | 09:47
I find it quite annoying when I make a call it goes straight to voicemail I Immediately end the call but lose a minute of my googybag in the process. Sometimes it's because the signal has chipped out someone has gone through a tunnel at that moment on the other person's end or their phone is off or something. I always call twice just incase but lose minutes each time and I hang up as I hear their voicemail come on. I think if you make a call say under 20 seconds or something it should't be chargeable this is 1 thing that irritates me. Can something be done please?
Message 1 of 11
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: phillsibson
on: 05/01/2015 | 01:18

I think the problem is that other networks charge once a call has been connected - ie, it can ring and ring and ring, you won't get charged, but if the number you are calling has voice mail turned on, once it answers, you have been connected to something and giffgaff gets charged for the call.

In giffgaff to giffgaff calls, this won't be a problem for most of us if we have free gg to gg calls.

Giffgaff, I imagine are doing whatever every other network is doing and charging once the call has been answered (by a person or voicemail).

Giffgaff could decide not to charge untill the outgoing message has played and the caller is recording a message, but this will not help you with calls you make to other networks (I doubt giffgaff even know if you are connected to a person or voice mail), and it would (I guess) impact on the fees giffgaff are paid by other networks for connecting their calls.

I Guess the answer would be to get all networks to change the point when they begin charging for calls if voice mails are turned on.

who knows... giffgaff may be able to do something towards getting the ball rolling on that.

Message 8 of 11
by: dazoo
on: 04/01/2015 | 09:53 edited: 04/01/2015 | 10:17

brownie14

This happens on other networks when the voicemail starts will take the minimum cost.I think should be charged from after the bleep

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 11
by: brownie14
on: 04/01/2015 | 10:27
Does this work when you get to someone else's voicemail?
Message 3 of 11
by: isabel1066
on: 04/01/2015 | 11:15
when you get someone's voicemail gg charges you as the call has connected.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 11
by: t_will
community giff-staffer

on: 04/01/2015 | 13:33

Hey Brownie, I've moved this through to Contribute, a great place for discussions about changes like this. I'd also recommend searching our Ideas board for similar proposed changes that you'd want to vote for.

giffgaff community bloke - let me know if you want to chat about anything. My posts tend to be really long but I promise you they're almost always worth it.
You can send me a message and we'll get rolling. Need a topic? Try here.
Message 5 of 11
by: rayhoo
on: 04/01/2015 | 16:00

@brownie14 wrote:
I find it quite annoying when I make a call it goes straight to voicemail I Immediately end the call but lose a minute of my googybag in the process. Sometimes it's because the signal has chipped out someone has gone through a tunnel at that moment on the other person's end or their phone is off or something. I always call twice just incase but lose minutes each time and I hang up as I hear their voicemail come on. I think if you make a call say under 20 seconds or something it should't be chargeable this is 1 thing that irritates me. Can something be done please?

It can be annoying as you say, but as you've made connection then the provider has fulfilled the service and the call is charged for accordingly.

Message 6 of 11
by: smok76rob
on: 04/01/2015 | 17:21

1626 to disable voicemail

1616 will then reactivate

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
by: phillsibson
on: 05/01/2015 | 01:18

I think the problem is that other networks charge once a call has been connected - ie, it can ring and ring and ring, you won't get charged, but if the number you are calling has voice mail turned on, once it answers, you have been connected to something and giffgaff gets charged for the call.

In giffgaff to giffgaff calls, this won't be a problem for most of us if we have free gg to gg calls.

Giffgaff, I imagine are doing whatever every other network is doing and charging once the call has been answered (by a person or voicemail).

Giffgaff could decide not to charge untill the outgoing message has played and the caller is recording a message, but this will not help you with calls you make to other networks (I doubt giffgaff even know if you are connected to a person or voice mail), and it would (I guess) impact on the fees giffgaff are paid by other networks for connecting their calls.

I Guess the answer would be to get all networks to change the point when they begin charging for calls if voice mails are turned on.

who knows... giffgaff may be able to do something towards getting the ball rolling on that.

Message 8 of 11
by: plutonium
on: 05/01/2015 | 12:11 edited: 05/01/2015 | 12:12

> once it answers, you have been connected to something and giffgaff gets charged for the call.

It's tough, but probably fair.  Operators don't listen to the audio, so don't know that it's gone to voicemail.  Even if they do know, it's not trivial to listen for the beep & not charge anything upto that point.  Quite an infrastructure update required to do that and no profit to be had.  Maybe privacy issues too.

Why not leave a message & wait for them to call you back?

Message 9 of 11
by: nursenat999
on: 05/01/2015 | 12:54
this would be a chargeable call as it goes to voicemail it only take one min I think it is reasonableSmiley Happy
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 11