Get Help
Community

what 3g speeds do you get-has it got worse lately? ***edited***

Started by: bmw4175
On: 25/02/2014 | 16:11
Replies: 1713

by: bmw4175
on: 25/02/2014 | 16:11 edited: 13/10/2016 | 10:55

Right myself I've been on giffgaff just over two years and up until a couple of months ago I used to use below 1gig per month. Since December after installing Netflix I've used a lot more data but I use an unlimited goodybag so that's ok.
Since around the same time my data speeds have been nothing short of a joke. I'm lucky to get 0.3 mb download and it's often a lot lower than that! Also my data connection drops totally 2-3 times each day only for like 60-90 seconds each time but it's not good when your in the middle of something! And watching Netflix, well it's a joke unless you do it in the middle of the night and even then you get the dreaded buffering.
Now it's nothing to do with my location as I live in Birmingham, less than a mile from a mast which reports no issues.
Now I've also kept an eye on the forums and noticed that this problem is coming up more and more for example he's a thread from help yesterday
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Very-slow-3G-HSDPA/td-p/11999108</a></p>
Now this shows that giffgaff users are definitely getting slower speeds than 02 customers. Also here's a thread I started about a month ago
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/slow-3g-report-it-here/td-p/11659561</a></p

I started that at first cuz I thought it was something I was doing wrong but just look at the amount of people just on those two threads who are having problems. People are even on about leaving, something I'm even considering myself.
So giffgaff really need to sort this out or at least give us a proper explanation as to what's going on as its getting beyond a joke now!
Why does someone using an 02 phone next to a giffgaff phone get faster speeds than giffgaff?
Are we throttled if we use a lot of data, in the correct way?
Anyway what I'm thinking is if people can post on here what speeds there getting in what area ect and maybe we can get giffgaff to listen and even get it sorted.&nbsp;</p>
I've just got to add yesterday I tried to msg an agent about this. I tried 5 times from 4 different browsers without success. &nbsp;Each time I pressed send my msg disappeared so in the end I had to give up to save my own sanity!!!
EDITED-excuse the format as I'm editing via my phone but I just wanted to say that this thread alone has been running about 6 weeks, racked up 450 posts, members going out of there way to post speeds ect and still giffgaff sit on there hands and say nothing as more and more members walk away for usable data! I doubt many of you will readthe whole thread but members have had refunds due to not been provided with the service promised so my advice to anyone effected by slow or unusable data to make a complaint and demand your money back! I'm sorry to have to do this as I love GG but there silence and refusing to even admit there's a problem leaves me with no choice and if there giving people refunds then all of us effected should get the same! If enough people complain and demand a refund GG will be forced to do something then! So I urge you, if you want this sorted, get complaining and those of you that do please post your experience on here for us to follow. Thanks.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/giffgaffs-which-award-scam/td-p/14032717</a>&nbsp;</p

Edited again just to pop this link in about the 'best mobile network 2014' award by WHICH. Which have promised to look into this and remove the award if they find fit.
And here's what Which? had to say on the matter, absolutely laughable!&nbsp;</p>
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/here-s-how-GG-got-there-Which-award/td-p/14215249</a></p
Edited to add this thought I've just had that I've just put on page 103 of this thread. Call me paranoid but I've just had a thought.&nbsp; So we all know the data speeds on giffgaff have been terrible for a long time now but what I'm thinking is what if this was orchestrated by giffgaff themselves in preparation of the price hike with the new goodybags?&nbsp; Slow the data down, blame this mystery 1%, and then hey ho they come up with these new goodybags as there magic solution to try and lesson the blow of charging £20 for unlimited data and removing it from all lesser priced goodybags? &nbsp; We all know that giffgaff has always ran at a loss so it would be a good plan to get everyone on board with the cheap unlimited data, run at a loss while getting as many people on board as possible, then bang the prices up now they've got well in excess of over a million 'members' knowing that yes they'll lose some members over the changes but also knowing that most people can't be bothered to go through the hassle of changing provider, porting number out ect......&nbsp; Or am I just paranoid? Thoughts on this please?

Edited again So here we are three years later and many, many threads, posts and questions to giffgaff and all we've had is lies and empty promises and we're still left with data that in this day and age is a complete joke!
I think us members have been more than patient and as giffgaff happily still take money from members for a service that they clearly CAN NOT provide and promise us there looking into it then it's clear the only way they'll listen and buy enough bandwidth for there members is to hit them where it really hurts!

Me personally I'm sick of seeing people paying there hard earned cash for a service that clearly is struggling!
Ofcom here I come!!!

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-Join/giffgaffs-data-The-truth/m-p/19408974

Just posted this in welcome and join forum to warn people not to waste there money!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 1,714
by: danthescan
on: 25/02/2014 | 16:42

I get the same crap coverage at home as i got on o2,so to me there is no difference here.

But giffgaff are cheaper and thats why im here.

Visiting the UK and need a giffgaff sim sent to you before you arrive ?

http://simabroad.wufoo.com/forms/contact-
form/

Message 2 of 1,714
by: cim
on: 25/02/2014 | 16:52 edited: 25/02/2014 | 16:59

@bmw4175 wrote:

Now it's nothing to do with my location as I live in Birmingham, less than a mile from a mast which reports no issues. 

Is that a safe assumption?

By which I mean - if your area suffers from mast congestion, there may be no fault as such but you could still suffer from a bottleneck when too many people try to use data in your locale? I would expect this to vary with time of day and day of week...

I have also heard the suggestion that if a mast is really loaded up you can be bumped off to a less local (and consequently lower signal quality) mast.

Another claim I have read recently is that when 4G is rolled out some areas they find 3G service get worse. The operators deny this is the case e.g.:

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/27292/4G_rollout_is_not_damaging_3G_signals_O2s_Dunne.aspx

Message 3 of 1,714
by: wjack2010
on: 25/02/2014 | 16:54
Hi,

I have seen a few people complaining about this, and some have led to the conclusion that O2 are capping the speeds at which giffgaff can offer data access, which seems a pretty reasonable guess.
Use Credit to Buy Phones - CLICK TO SUPPORT THIS IDEA

Hit the 'kudo' button if I helped

Minecraft Server IP: creative-mc.com
Message 4 of 1,714
by: avinashshshrestha1
on: 25/02/2014 | 17:09

I live in Greater Manchester, Withington and here internet speed is terrible(0.12mbps down and 1.12up) it was good before(8.02mbps down and 2.56up). I have checked on service checker and it says there is no problem! and I recently conatacted an agent and he said there is no problem with your account and your area. He suggested me to do sim swap which I am not going to do because before a week I did that Smiley Very Happy When I am in college(Stokcport) too its the same "Terrible internet speed" Smiley Sad . I am just waiting for giffgaff to launch its "4G" so that I can get a good speed. If 4g also won't  sort out this terrible internet speed problems then....

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 1,714
on: 25/02/2014 | 18:25

@cim 

I get what you mean about the whole bottleneck thing but my next mast isn't to far away either. 

I'm not so sure I buy the whole rolling out of 4g having an averse affect on 3g thing cuz the opposite seems to have happened on the 3 network. 

Since they have started rolling out there 4g there 3g speeds have gone through the roof! 

I think giffgaff never thought they'd get this big and now where all paying the price with these crap data speeds! 

It would be nice if someone from giffgaff could give us an official answer as to just what the heck is going on??? 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 1,714
on: 25/02/2014 | 18:28

avinashshshrestha1 wrote:

I live in Greater Manchester, Withington and here internet speed is terrible(0.12mbps down and 1.12up) it was good before(8.02mbps down and 2.56up). I have checked on service checker and it says there is no problem! and I recently conatacted an agent and he said there is no problem with your account and your area. He suggested me to do sim swap which I am not going to do because before a week I did that Smiley Very Happy When I am in college(Stokcport) too its the same "Terrible internet speed" Smiley Sad . I am just waiting for giffgaff to launch its "4G" so that I can get a good speed. If 4g also won't  sort out this terrible internet speed problems then....

I think giffgaff need to sort there 3g out first before even thinking about 4g!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 1,714
by: blackfive460
on: 25/02/2014 | 18:31

Right from when I first joined there have been reports of giffgaff speeds being lower than those obtained via an O2 SIM but I've never seen any evidence of anyone doing any kind of systematic testing with appropriate equipment. Perhaps one of our more techy minded members could do some real testing and either confirm this or put it to bed?

For myself, until a couple of months ago I had a contract 'phone on O2 as well as my giffgaff one and can honestly say that I've never noticed any real difference between either signal or speeds.

Having said that, in a few areas that I use data that, despite having an apparently satisfactory signal, giffgaff (or O2) speeds are so dire that I've given up.

In those areas and most others Ovivo (Vodafone) is even worse especially with the adverts on net connections have to be reloaded 4 or 5 times before you get the page you actually want.

On the other hand, I always seem to get excellent speeds on my Samba SIM and, as I can't be bothered watching lots of their adverts, tend to pay for data at around the same price as gigabags.

Perhaps when the experiment ends, a move for giffgaff from O2 to 3 wouldn't be such a bad thing?

Message 8 of 1,714
by: danthescan
on: 25/02/2014 | 18:41

@blackfive460 

I use Samba for data as well because the 3g speed at home is amazing.

But i dont watch the ads,i clic on them and let them run in the background at home on a PC as i use giffgaff,so basicaly for a few clics i get payback and free data.

But i do feel a lot of people have a legitimet complaint about speeds,but i found giffgaff and o2 have good and bad areas,and where its good or bad on one its the same on the other.

Acording to o2 there is 4g at home for me now,so i may just have to buy a 4g phone to find out,but given the distance from the mast and the 3g issues,then 4g has a lot to do to make a difference here.

Visiting the UK and need a giffgaff sim sent to you before you arrive ?

http://simabroad.wufoo.com/forms/contact-
form/

Message 9 of 1,714
by: number5bus
on: 25/02/2014 | 19:08
My data speed on any o2 based sim varies from 250kb/s to 450kb/s within less than a foot apart. Seems very changeable.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 1,714