Get Help
Community

Acer Aspire 5551 BIOS Update... any tech experts on GG?

Started by: craig101
On: 16/02/2012 | 20:56
Replies: 6

by: craig101
on: 16/02/2012 | 20:56

So, i am having a major issue with my battery where it only charges to around 80% then stops. I have tried recalibrating it (charging it to as far as it goes, draining it and recharging it) to no prevail.

I have been doing some research and found out that a BIOS update COULD potentially fix the issue but also be warned that it could seriously mess up the system if it is done wrongly.

Have you ever done a BIOS update? What issues did it cause, if any? Should i risk it?

I have put this in Off  topic as well but i wasn't sure where to put it.  

Message 1 of 7
by: stueeey
on: 16/02/2012 | 20:58 edited: 16/02/2012 | 20:59

I have replied off topic and that's where it should be really. As this one is for Giffgaff issues really.  But I am sure that people won't mind that much that the thread is in here.

Message 2 of 7
by: morvin
on: 16/02/2012 | 20:59
Yes Off Topic is the right sections mate.

BIOS update are not harmful at all. Justmake sure its the correct BIOS update for your hardware.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Please give 'KUDOS' if you like my post. If my answer helped then please click 'Accept as Solution'
Message 3 of 7
by: koooowweeee
on: 16/02/2012 | 21:00
Don't worry everyone does it.

Just download the correct files.

And read up about flashing bins first
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 7
by: othalian
on: 16/02/2012 | 21:04
Giffgaff etiquette requires you to post such topics in the correct Forum. This post should be in the Off-Topic forum but don't worry I have requested its removal from here to the correct forum.

I have done this a number of time including the computer I am typing on now. A Bios update can potentially kill your computer if you do it wrong. However the manufacturers have a pretty safe way for doing it. Just make sure you keep a backup of the old Bios before you overwrite it. And take it slow so you minimise the risks.

Good luck
Message 5 of 7
by: tobias_b
on: 16/02/2012 | 21:13
Moved to Off-topic Smiley Happy
Former educator.....but I'm still around Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 7
by: andrewredman
on: 16/02/2012 | 22:54 edited: 16/02/2012 | 22:58

you may have already done the google, here's one i found, take your time and best wishes!  always worth having a go!

http://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Computer's-BIOS  Smiley Happy

edit:  found this as well?  http://www.www-bios.co.uk/

Message 7 of 7