Knowledge Base
Community

Antivirus

Started by: 67red12
On: 01/01/2019 | 13:27
Replies: 16

by: masterluke
on: 01/01/2019 | 14:30
I've tried BitDefender before, for some reason I didn't like it. Is it one of those ones that has been dumbed down with no customisation? I like to be able to mess around with settings and configure it myself and don't like stuff hidden away.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 11 of 17
by: kenralph
on: 01/01/2019 | 15:35
If you're going for a free version you could do a lot worse than Microsoft's own. Free versions normally badger you with free upgrades and adverts, and hog your recourses.
If you have around £40 a year to spare, then use ESET INTERNET SECURITY.

Stay off dodgy sites, don't use key generators and you should be fine with Microsoft's own AV
Message 12 of 17
by: slarti
on: 01/01/2019 | 16:21

For Windows 7 and Windows 8.x and Win 10 it is hard to beat Windows Defender (with added Security Esentials for win 7)

Message 13 of 17
by: rosstheboss1
on: 01/01/2019 | 17:31 edited: 01/01/2019 | 17:32

If it's for a mobile I would recommend Kaspersky.

Message 14 of 17
by: navi51
on: 01/01/2019 | 17:55
Used what was grisoft's AVG since it first launched years ago. It has caught a few of the bad guys over the years and even got their support to remove one for us once. I know you should only get support with the paid for version but perhaps the person was new 😮
To giff is better than to gaff

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 17
by: masterluke
on: 01/01/2019 | 18:57

@kenralph wrote:

If you're going for a free version you could do a lot worse than Microsoft's own. Free versions normally badger you with free upgrades and adverts, and hog your recourses.
If you have around £40 a year to spare, then use ESET INTERNET SECURITY.

Stay off dodgy sites, don't use key generators and you should be fine with Microsoft's own AV

The only thing that's worse than Windows Defender is nothing at all. Actually Windows Defender is a resource hog which is surprising for something that's bolted to Windows I know. You don't have to take my word for it you can look all this up online yourself, and it'll also show you how poorly it performs for virus detection vs. proper anti-virus software.

That is like saying your PC is safe as long as you don't switch it on! Is it possible to completely avoid "dodgy sites" in any case with all the spammed results that come up on Google etc? I don't think so.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
by: bazthebear2
on: 02/01/2019 | 11:00
comdo is free and very good, keeper has used it for years.
Baz The Bear
Supporting Wildlife Worldwide
Message 17 of 17