Knowledge Base
Community

Antivirus

Started by: 67red12
On: 01/01/2019 | 13:27
Replies: 16

by: 67red12
on: 01/01/2019 | 13:27

Happy New Year to you all :-) can anyone advise on an anti virus package (free maybe ?) my nortons due to run out any day now but tbh ive had nothing but problems with it so am reluctant to renew, moneys tight so if anyone knows of any free ones even better :-) TIA

Message 1 of 17
by: majorincident
on: 01/01/2019 | 13:35

I use the free version of Bitdefender on my Windows 7 laptop.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 2 of 17
by: masterluke
on: 01/01/2019 | 13:41

I'm using the free version of AVG I'd highly recommend it it's good now it's owned by Avast. I'm surprised that it hasn't been annoying me, a few things occasionally pop up but not very often at all. It just runs in the background and you don't know it's there which is how it ought to be.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 17
by: deltayankee3
on: 01/01/2019 | 13:41
I use Avast Free on all my computers but I don't bother on my phone. Hardly worth it and as with all the AV companies, the dumb extra "Free" programs they add on if you click them just suck resources and give you no real advantage.

Avast, AVG, McAfee free versions all operate in the same way - throw you offers and before you know it you have joined a trial 30/60 day and then they take payment from your existing payment method. Best advice I can give you is log into their online account and cancel the auto Renewals!

That said, many of my customers subscribe to the Avast Paid for versions at about £10-£20 a year and are comforted by that fact. Often the mobile versions come free! Yet still a couple end up with paid for subscriptions to the "VPN PRO", The "Spam PRO" thinking they were renewing their "AntiVirus PRO" - be careful out there! LOL
Message 5 of 17
on: 01/01/2019 | 13:50

lol if you get anything pop up that's along the lines of 'your computer is at risk' close it it's bs.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 17
on: 01/01/2019 | 13:53
Is there a free version of McAfee now? Trial version you mean? I've used McAfee a long long time ago before it expired I thought it was alright.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 17
by: themzbiker
on: 01/01/2019 | 14:04
@67red12

MacAfee I've used & never had any problems at all I've always used there free version
Message 8 of 17
by: majorincident
on: 01/01/2019 | 14:07

@deltayankee3 wrote:

Avast, AVG, McAfee free versions all operate in the same way - throw you offers and before you know it you have joined a trial 30/60 day and then they take payment from your existing payment method. Best advice I can give you is log into their online account and cancel the auto Renewals!

I got fed up with the persistent nagging to upgrade to pro, so I looked about for something else.  Bitdefender free scored well on the various reviews I read.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 9 of 17
by: deltayankee3
on: 01/01/2019 | 14:22
I haven't tried Bitdefender since last century - maybe I should because I have heard good reviews too. Ther! New Year Resolution!

McAffe free tells you what the problem is but you have to pay to fix it generally! At least on PC anyway.
Message 10 of 17