Knowledge Base
Community

Are our tastes guided by knowledge or what we're told?

Started by: orlf
On: 03/02/2019 | 20:09
Replies: 7

by: orlf
on: 03/02/2019 | 20:09

I just saw this

Joshua_Bell_Infographic.jpg

Does this prove that people are ignorant, or just that people only knew to appreciate something because people tell them to?

I'm Orlf. It's a Norwegian name.
Message 1 of 8
by: nefarius
on: 03/02/2019 | 20:14

Ignorant for being late for work and trying your utmost to get there on time? Interesting. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 8
by: gvmhb
on: 03/02/2019 | 20:39
I'm sure we are all very much guided by what we were taught as children.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 8
by: c_lockett
on: 04/02/2019 | 09:22
I don't think it proves people are ignorant. They're just going about their daily lives. I'm sure had they realised who was playing the violin some might have lingered longer.
Message 4 of 8
by: majorincident
on: 04/02/2019 | 09:40

It proves that a subway station is no place to conduct such an experiment.  This would have been more valid had it been done in a public square or park were people are not hurrying to be somewhere.  It would also have been a guage of musical tastes.  I hear a lot of buskers and I either stop or keep walking.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 5 of 8
by: standardbearer
on: 04/02/2019 | 10:17
If that picture represents the rush hour then thats a luxury.
People have their minds on getting to work usually and thats quite natural. Perhaps buskers on that train is a regular thing.
Some Citizens are very wary of buskers maybe those with Kids
too.
If the American Citizens knew who this guy was, then yes it would have been interesting if they would have reacted differently even though they have to get to work to earn some bucks.
There used to be some buskers
who used to invade the London Underground tube system. They were very aggressive passing the hat around whilst singing and playing the guitar.
Fortunately they used to walk past me. The Transport Police managed to stop it in the end.
Appreciate the violinst was passive.Wonder what he really thought.
Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 6 of 8
by: frenchielove
on: 04/02/2019 | 10:21

If people are rushing to work, they would be unable to stop, but no one knows what these people were thinking, they might have thought, how wonderful, but I am late today? Who knows? 

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
by: sarahaxon
on: 04/02/2019 | 10:28
I agree @frenchielove @majorincident
This is not so much about taste as about context - time and place. The people rushing to work may well have thought how lovely the music was,but they're trying to get to work and not be late. Few would have the time to stand and listen.
I do give money to buskers if they're good, or what they're playing makes me happy. However, if I'm in a hurry I often can do little more than slow down for a bit as I pass them.
Message 8 of 8