Knowledge Base
Community

BBC iPlayer Sexual harassment Video. Long essay lol

Started by: leedi0t1403
On: 15/01/2019 | 16:47
Replies: 6

by: leedi0t1403
on: 15/01/2019 | 16:47

Is This Sexual Harassment?: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06x0jv5 via @bbciplayer

What are your thoughts? Sometimes we don't know we are committing this crime but sometimes people can take what we say and do the wrong way and think we are harassing them. 

When I first started watching I felt absolutely terrible and disgusted with myself as I genuinely believed that I did this in the past but due to me having anxiety and autism I have never been comfortable with people breaching my private space and as a result I never give anybody any form of physical contact like hugs or going too close to people or putting my arm around them and I hate it when people do it to me. What got me thinking i genuinely did this at one time was because a friend at work broke down at one point and started crying because nobody helps her and nobody cares and I stood there not knowing what to do but the next day I started helping her when I could. 

Examples, she went on her break and left boxes that needed to be thrown down the line and because I had very little to do I thought I'll take them and throw them down the line to save her doing it when she got back. 

The next thing was at the end of a work day I was heading for the exit and I saw her and thought that my bus isn't for another hour so I'll help her finish here so she can leave quicker so I took her orders to the line and cleaned up for her while she was keeping all the equipment. Then I left. 

She didn't take this very well but I didn't realize it at the time. 

Next day I was on my way out again and I saw her about to use a pump truck to lift up a pallet of boxes and I said "Its broken, one half of it doesn't lift and if you use it then your pallet will only lift on one side and all your boxes will fall" she looked at me quickly and ignored me and attempted to use the pump truck to lift the pallet so I ran to the left side to stop it falling and then she realized it was broken and she walked away and so I got another and I lifted the pallet and took it to where it needed to go and I went to the exit to go home and she started shouting at me and claiming I was looking down at her because she was a woman and I just stood there not knowing what to say and she looked at me for a minute and walked away and I went home. 

In this documentary, the manager is doing things like this to a woman. 

My friends assured me that what I did doesn't come close to harassment and I was only trying to help.

Reason why I'm telling this story is because at the end of this documentary people vote on whether it is sexual harrasment or not and some people don't actually know when they are doing it or not and get accused when all they were doing was a good deed. What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 7
by: bobo__crumb
on: 18/01/2019 | 02:32
It's all going a bit mad mate
Message 2 of 7
on: 19/01/2019 | 16:15
It has a bit, some people are classing staring as sexual harassment. It's a very scary time
Message 3 of 7
by: andyslc
on: 19/01/2019 | 18:44

@leedi0t1403 Helping a colleague is hardly harassment and nothing you have described would fit sexual harassment. In the situation you described simplest thing to do is to apologise and state you meant no offence but were just trying to help, the same you would for any other colleague. After all you don’t know what experience this colleague had had with other employers. It could be she has only ever had negative experiences, particularly from male colleagues.

The video is a different thing all together and in my mind the male manager was bang out of line even before the text messages were revealed because of the way he used his position to contrive situations,

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 4 of 7
by: nefarius
on: 19/01/2019 | 18:52

18 to 30 year olds! Ageist? I'm too old to count in the experiment. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 7
on: 19/01/2019 | 20:10
Unfortunately I haven't seen this person since 2015 but if one day our paths do cross then I will definitely apologize. Yeah all my friends said the same thing more or less. Thank you for clearing that up. I really don't understand much about this topic. Lol.
Message 6 of 7
by: tonicurtis1967
on: 20/01/2019 | 11:21
Ive not watched it yet . But i think to me wat u did was good deeds.i wouldn't have minded at all
Message 7 of 7