Knowledge Base
Community

Bleak news: improvements in life expectancy slowing down, starting to reverse

Started by: techiebloke
On: 18/03/2019 | 19:45
Replies: 10

by: techiebloke
on: 18/03/2019 | 19:45

https://news.sky.com/story/a-lot-of-people-in-the-city-are-getting-very-excited-about-death-11665682

Insurance companies have released reserves as people not living as long as projected.

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 1 of 11
by: frenchielove
on: 18/03/2019 | 19:48

Gosh, a bit of a depressing read @techiebloke 

Message 2 of 11
by: majorincident
on: 18/03/2019 | 19:49

I heard about this on a BBC news business bullet.  Apparently actuaries have got life expectancy projections wrong. 

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 3 of 11
by: matthewhill1996
on: 18/03/2019 | 19:50

So can I have my pension then?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 11
by: gvmhb
on: 18/03/2019 | 19:51

This has been talked about for a while.

Hardly surprising with the rubbish people eat plus how many are overweight and not exercising.

I expect the superbugs are part of the reason too - I think quite a few die early in hospital because of MRSA etc Smiley Frustrated

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 11
by: techiebloke
on: 18/03/2019 | 19:53

@frenchielovewrote:

@frenchielove 

Isn't it, I've just been asking round at work for recommendations for an Independent Financial Adviser to look over my pension as it's currently not growing as much as I'd hoped.

Not sure whether to bother now Smiley Happy

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 6 of 11
by: k89bpa
on: 18/03/2019 | 20:01
GGK-0318-1959

Does it matter?

If so why?

Isn't quality more important than quantity?
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 7 of 11
by: davek89
on: 18/03/2019 | 20:25

Not surprising really. Commonsense will tell you that life expectancy can't keep increasing forever, and what appears to have happened is that pension providers have merely made a correction in their long-term forecasting to account for this fact.

I'd say it's probably actually quite good news for people intending to retire in the next few years as their pensions might increase as a result.

Message 8 of 11
by: bobsta
on: 18/03/2019 | 21:57

@techieblokewrote:

@frenchielovewrote:

@frenchielove 

Isn't it, I've just been asking round at work for recommendations for an Independent Financial Adviser to look over my pension as it's currently not growing as much as I'd hoped.

@techiebloke - our financial adviser half jokingly said 'make friends in the racing industry and put £50 each way on every horse in the grand national. You'll probably do better than most pension investments firms'. I was amazed to hear this but considering that most pension firm nvestments are risk based, it makes sense that they're gambling with our money. 

Message 9 of 11
by: navi51
on: 18/03/2019 | 23:07

@bobstawrote:

@techieblokewrote:

@frenchielovewrote:

@frenchielove 

@techiebloke - our financial adviser half jokingly said 'make friends in the racing industry and put £50 each way on every horse in the grand national. You'll probably do better than most pension investments firms'. I was amazed to hear this but considering that most pension firm nvestments are risk based, it makes sense that they're gambling with our money. 

All investments are a gamble, always have been, always will be.

e.g. Not everyone made money investing in canals and railways or electric milk floats. 😁

To giff is better than to gaff

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 11