Knowledge Base
Community

Bluetooth Headset & Keyboard

Started by: k89bpa
On: 25/11/2018 | 15:27
Replies: 18

by: k89bpa
on: 25/11/2018 | 15:27

For users of Bluetooth headsets which do you recommend for battery life?

Not looking to spend a fortune, doesn't have to be the best quality, doesn't have to be a hands free set, but it does have to have as long a battery life as possible, the longer the better. 

Whenever I am charging my P20 Pro I'm having to tether the Moto X4 and plug my headphones into that because of the lack of a headset and although it works well I'm already growing tired of it, so I figure Bluetooth is the way to go. 

Also now I have a much better phone than I'm used to and one which comes with a desktop mode when it's plugged into a monitor I'm looking to upgrade my Bluetooth keyboard because I've had a little play with the desktop mode via casting, (I need to buy a hub and HDMI/USBC cable), and it actually turns my device into a pretty serviceable mini computer so perhaps it's time to get a little more serious than I was now I am not merely just able to mirror the screen, (the phone by itself on a stand is actually not bad as a stand alone thing either, almost comparable with the Nexus 7 because it's only losing an inch in size). 

I'm not looking for a full keyboard, I still want something pretty portable but if anyone has any recommendations they too will be gratefully received.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 1 of 19
by: tuneintestaccount
on: 25/11/2018 | 15:50

I haven't dabbled too much into Bluetooth tech (my USB based keyboard and mouse is fine for my laptop, and I don't need a keyboard on either my phone or tablet) but I do have a pair of Bluedio Revolution headphones, which are Bluetooth.
Unfortunately, you can no longer get them any more, but when I got them for about £50, they were a very good purchase - not only do they have a very long battery life (claimed 25 hours, actual time close to that), but they also have good sound quality as well.

I'd personally have a little look around at what the battery life claims are - anything that is stated at 20 hours or longer should be a wise investment; never anything below 15 hours battery life.
For example, WHSmiths are selling some relatively affordable Bluetooth headphones but they only have a battery life of 5 hours! Certainly not a good idea as you'll be forever charging them, unless you use wired mode... but if you're going to use wired mode, you might as well get a USB-C to dual USB-C and 3.5mm adapter (can be had for a couple of quid on eBay) and use your wired headset with the P20 Pro.

@k89bpa

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 19
on: 25/11/2018 | 15:55

@tuneintestaccount wrote:

if you're going to use wired mode, you might as well get a USB-C to dual USB-C and 3.5mm adapter...

I hadn't thought about that. 

Will something like that still allow for fast charging @tuneintestaccount?

Message 3 of 19
by: tuneintestaccount
on: 25/11/2018 | 16:04
@k89bpa,

In all honesty I wouldn't actually know what impact it will have on the fast charging mode. It should still charge without any issues, though it might not be via fast charging.
Though I haven't tested anything like this because (a) I disabled fast charging on my Galaxy S7 Edge, due to it adversely affecting radio reception (in a weak-ish signal area) and (b) the Galaxy S7 Edge actually has a headphone port - which is an essentiality to my purchase of a smartphone. I may be limiting my option but I won't get a smartphone with no headphone port.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 19
on: 25/11/2018 | 16:07
I shall Google @tuneintestaccount, thanks for the heads up though, might be the perfect solution for me for now.

Message 5 of 19
by: majorincident
on: 25/11/2018 | 16:44

I know that you are looking for a bluetooth keyboard but as you have a monitor, how about a virtual keyboard?  I have been using WiFi keyboard for a while, but it has been pulled from the play store, so you'll have to sideload it.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 6 of 19
on: 25/11/2018 | 17:02
Nah @majorincident, I can use the phone as the mouse but it's kinda awkward and slides around even in a case.

I wanna go proper, if I was gonna do the on-screen keyboard thing I'd just use the phone in my hand. This is more for proper full on writing sessions I'm thinking where I'm typing for a few hours.

I already have one, but it's quite a few years old now, it's time to upgrade and get a bit more serious now I've got some quality hardware, (I thought I already did, but this is far better than everything I've used before so wanna make full use of it).

Message 7 of 19
by: majorincident
on: 25/11/2018 | 17:10

I'm being stupid @k89bpa.  I have a desktop computer which, of course, has a keyboard.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 8 of 19
on: 09/12/2018 | 21:19
Is this one any good?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/sony-wh-ch700n-wireless-blu...

I'm attracted by the 35hrs battery life. Just hoping that they're comfortable to wear.

Message 9 of 19
by: funnymarv
on: 09/12/2018 | 23:03

Sorry I'm useless when it comes to these kind of things , but check on YouTube for good reviews

Message 10 of 19