Community

Bluetooth Headset & Keyboard

Started by: k89bpa
On: 25/11/2018 | 15:27
Replies: 23

by: k89bpa
on: 14/12/2018 | 03:16
I'm all set up now.

Got the Sony pair and a couple of cheap pairs for out about, (ease of carrying). Got a fancy new keyboard too for when I wanna go full desktop mode and plug it into a monitor.

So nice not to have to bother with wires anymore.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 11 of 24
on: 14/12/2018 | 09:19 edited: 14/12/2018 | 09:23

The cheap headphones are terrible for sound, there's no bass at all, but luckily a long time ago I bought an equalizer app but never used it.

Downloaded it now and I've some lovely bass coming through now, well I do now the built in battery management isn't trying to switch it off constantly, lol

Turns out I can't listen to anything without it bass and plenty of it without it giving me a headache and being really painful to my ears, lol

Weirdly and annoyingly I only actually need it on Spotify because every other app has a built in equalizer that I have set to my preference. You'd think Spotify would have one too but no. What a stupid omission but never mind. 

Message 12 of 24
by: nefarius
on: 14/12/2018 | 09:38 edited: 14/12/2018 | 09:39

Ooh, bass booster apps. I used to use this one on an old galaxy ace but I couldn't get it to work on later phones. It is excellent on full throttle ie: tick bass boost 100%

Give it a try and let me know if it works and what you think?👇

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.desaxedstudios.bassbooster

@k89bpa

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 24
on: 14/12/2018 | 10:23
That one used to cut out all the time on my Nexus 4 @nefarius, the one I had was Equalizer FX Pro, cost me all of 10p back in the days of Black and White, lol

Message 14 of 24
on: 14/12/2018 | 10:56
The expensive headphones are superb, really good quality audio and decent bass, (once tweaked with the app), but the cheap ones were terrible.

I tried listening to BabyMetal for the constrast between the music and their voices to see how they did and it was genuinely painful and they're a group that I normally find so relaxing that I can fall asleep to them playing away at full blast through wired headphones, lol

By default they seem to strip all the bass and turn up the treble to the maximum possible. So, so, so bad.

With the equalizer though they're sounding brilliant again, as do my other highpitched singers and pieces of music, lol

I've had to compromise on the volume though, the expensive ones can handle the bass at loud volumes, the cheap ones absolutely cannot, lol

Message 15 of 24
on: 14/12/2018 | 14:13
I take back everything that I said about the cheap ones, well almost.

I changed the bud size for a more appropriate one and that changed the way I look at them almost entirely. The instant I made the switch the sound quality improved, presumably because there was a lot better of a "seal" around the ear canal.

They still do need bass assistance but having them fit properly and snuggly means I don't need so much volume so they're not as bad without it.

The reason I love them now though is that thanks to them being totally snug they're so comfortable and I can't hear a single thing that's happening around me even when I'm at half volume. Truthfully I struggle to hear ambient noise even with the music off. They're the most effective noise cancelling headphones that I have ever owned.

That makes my opinion of them improve dramatically.

And I can sleep with them on too! I dozed off listening to BabyMetal, lol

Message 16 of 24
on: 14/12/2018 | 20:14
In wondering if my issues with headphones have all been related to them not fitting my ears correctly, so noticeable is the difference since I switch bud size.

It's just so much louder and richer now, and with the fact that the noise ambient noise reduction is so much improved too...

Normally at the volume I'm listening at I can hear traffic noise, people and dogs, some wildlife too, but I've heard nothing but the music and what I've been watching all day long.

It's been wonderful!

Normally to have that level of isolation I've gotta have the volume so high that it's making my whole head vibrate and pulse in time to whatever I'm listening to but today half to two thirds volume is enough.

All these years I think I've been using the wrong size headphones, lol

Message 17 of 24
on: 15/12/2018 | 05:10
You know, testing and calibrating these headphones has reminded me just how much fun BabyMetal are to listen to, I completely forgot they integrated rap and reggae into their music, lol

Neither the cheap nor the expensive pair I bought are without flaws, the cheap ones are around 75% of the claimed battery life, the expensive ones make my ears sweat with prolonged usage, (although they sound AMAZING!), and they fly off the head if one moves too quickly, lol

I'm content enough though, it's nice being able to just leave the phone somewhere and still have my music follow me around and keep noise created by other humans from entering my consciousness.

Weirdly the cheap ones without noise cancellation do better than the expensive ones with noise cancellation in this respect, but both do a more than acceptable job. :-)

Message 18 of 24
on: 16/12/2018 | 21:48
How amusing...

I swap from the expensive set to a cheap set, press play expecting my music to keep playing from where it was in the local player.

Headset instead decided to open Spotify and play the playlist that I was listening to when I used them last.

These things are sentient, lol

Message 19 of 24
on: 06/02/2019 | 13:51 edited: 06/02/2019 | 15:00

The cheap ones have died. Won't charge at all.

I'm not buying a new pair every two months, I've gone for a pair of Anker buds, at least with them I know if they break in a few months they'll replace/refund them, (thanks for the flash sale Amazon). 

Got a cheaper pair on the way too, was gonna get another pair of Sony but I've cancelled that one, (the 20+ hours battery life on the original Sony and the Anker should be more than sufficient - the cheaper pair supposedly has 9hrs battery life too so I should be good).

Message 20 of 24